Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Out at Aldridge, B head and trap from 7:00 till 2 today. 15 pounder two minutes in then not a whiff till getting ready to pull gear and BANG! Pin poppin 28 pounder! Both at Aldridge on anchovie 53 and 65 ft. Lots of boats out but not a lot of action...

Great trip out with my fishing buddy cby today 5-12 - who also showed me that persistence on revival can yield results as he worked his magic getting a near 20 pounder revived at the boat side almost 5 minutes before it took off again to live another day. 3 fish out of 4strikes. 14 18 22. Neck got a nice shade of red as we'll. didn't see many caught so lines were blessed today for sure.

We fished out front today from 10:30 to 4:00 and not a sniff of a salmon although we did see a few on the sounder. Chovies from 30 to 90 feet. Only saw one salmon caught when we were in tight on Possession and that was a 20 lber caught by a boat out a little farther right off Possession. Talked to him and he also got an 18 early. Rather slow and I guess you just have to put in your time.

Now here is something unusual. We pulled a large commercial type crab trab with large gates that we had put down on the previous Fri and it had 5 huge Red Rock crab including one monster that went 7and 1 third inches across the shell and one under size Dungie. What was unusual is that we put the trap down just to get it off the boat as it was in the way for the Derby and it was not baited. Did not even have a bait holder in it yet 6 crabs decided to go in anyway. It did have a new zinc and I wonder if the electrolysis attracts them a little.

Fishing is slow thats for sure just wait for another Wave to come thru... just a little low but it will come back ... thats what happens it sucks but then you wait all of a sudden people will be yanking them in soon enough giving "HOT" reports.

As for Crab Rockfish when i did it commercially we would leave some"scouts" in traps to tell others to come on in and yes it worked LOL

Fishing is slow thats for sure just wait for another Wave to come thru... just a little low but it will come back ... thats what happens it sucks but then you wait all of a sudden people will be yanking them in soon enough giving "HOT" reports.

As for Crab Rockfish when i did it commercially we would leave some"scouts" in traps to tell others to come on in and yes it worked LOL

It's slower than normal up our way too, Roy. On a normal year we are hammering the migrating Chinooks now. Waiting for next bump....

Very slow lots of 10-12 pounders out there if you go winter style. Just very few matures. Looking back at my records the past few years this last week of june was EPIC to say the least. Every year canada day long we get wicked fishing. Hope some fish move in on the stronger floods coming.

-KK

It sucked for us off Church yesterday. Could have saved the chovies for another day! They could should anytime, would be nice. Winter fishing was way more action!

To add to prettyboy Floyd's report it was great to be on the water again. Great day, we worked hard for our fish and yes fish gods owe us now.

Fished out front and around possession today...and I apparently suck? Thus is when fishing is like golf!

Guy coming in had a teener in his boat and the guy at the ramp in front of us had a twenty something in his boat...but no love for us.

Loved the guy that parked the car in at the hotel that was parked in the truck/trailer parking...jack-knifed his trailer around it so he was there for the day. That was some funny hi jinx! Guy looked pretty flummoxed.

No... I had a lot of buddies go out this weekend turned up blank...Hopefully going out tomorrow works been nuts over weekend need a break... Renfrew so I hear is slow as well along the beach... Another big wave will come through just seems to be stalling...It happened last few years almost same time frame then went nuts. The reports seeing up North probably mean we will get some big fish coming done in next few weeks or so...

No... I had a lot of buddies go out this weekend turned up blank...Hopefully going out tomorrow works been nuts over weekend need a break... Renfrew so I hear is slow as well along the beach... Another big wave will come through just seems to be stalling...It happened last few years almost same time frame then went nuts. The reports seeing up North probably mean we will get some big fish coming done in next few weeks or so...

I hope so. some Big fish coming down in few weeks.

I also was skunked on the weekend...probably 8 hours logged between Sat and Sunday and I can't even pretend I had a hit! Most of the marks I saw were really deep...110-180 feet. Any thoughts on whether this big algae bloom might be keeping everything deeper?

It is slow out there, especially for bigger salmon and a lot of people fishing because finally after a few weeks of heavy winds and few fishing the weather has improved. Sunday we managed to pick up a couple of resident Hatchery type fish one clipped and one not around 8 lb, down off Gordons Beach on chovies, but we worked hard to find them and they were out and deep. There are a few big ones around but you need to be lucky to run over one. Fishing will only improve and there should also be a good Sockeye opening this year.

The Coho seem to me to be late as we were beginning to catch them by this time last year and we hit a wall of them coming into JDF last year the weekend of June 7 and 8 off Point No Point and they had moved farther into JDF by this time. There were lots of them although you would have to weed through about 6 for each clipped one you could keep. One hopes the large numbers of Coho we saw last year will continue this year and DFO will allow us one unclipped this summer. I understand them being cautious based on one truly exceptional year but the trend is up, so let’s hope that pattern continues.

It is slow out there, especially for bigger salmon and a lot of people fishing because finally after a few weeks of heavy winds and few fishing the weather has improved. Sunday we managed to pick up a couple of resident Hatchery type fish one clipped and one not around 8 lb, down off Gordons Beach on chovies, but we worked hard to find them and they were out and deep. There are a few big ones around but you need to be lucky to run over one. Fishing will only improve and there should also be a good Sockeye opening this year.
QUOTE]

Rockfish, may I ask how deep and in how much water you picked up your fish in? A friend asked that I catch him a salmon to bring back to Ontario. I've had no luck, and only a couple days to do it! Always when you need a fish, you can't get one.

Rockfish, may I ask how deep and in how much water you picked up your fish in? A friend asked that I catch him a salmon to bring back to Ontario. I've had no luck, and only a couple days to do it! Always when you need a fish, you can't get one.

In the morning we fished the more classic Muir Creek areas and depths and got zip but there were at least 3 Guide Boats and lots of other boats fishing a couple of spots there and Salmon were being caught but nothing really large from what I could see. At one point we did a complete U-Turn to get out of the way of a guide boat with a fish on. Fairly crowded and a little too much combat fishing for my liking.

In the later afternoon we hit a little 8 lbers going east in about 140 feet of water column down about 115/120 feet on the riggers with a 15lb ball. I had just said “There is nothing here lets pull up and go someplace else” when it hit. Got it in and went back around and followed our GPS trail and hit the 2nd one only about 70 feet past where we got the first one. We were a little closer to Otter than the classic Muir Creek areas but still off the Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a fishing story for you guys. So fished up at Sheringham from 6 to about 9:30 not a sniff. Started to fish with the flood back to Muir. Landed a small 4-5 pound hatchery jack off Gordons and then kept on going to Otter. At 3rd rock I could see something white up ahead on the surface. First thought was a white buoy, then maybe a dead seal, as I got closer it was to white for a seal...maybe a dead porpoise. Then I realized it was a belly up Chinook. Well 3 loops later in a brisk wind and having to shallow up the riggers as I couldn't make the inside turn without getting shallow...and finally get it in the net. Its bigger than I thought. Get all the gear straightened out and fishing again and then fish this thing out of the net. It is in full rigor..stiff as a board and fresh. Get out the scale...42.4 pounds!!!! I said to the guys that someone must have had this on this morning and maybe gill hooked it...it got off and then died. Why it floated...who knows. So I chat it up on the radio. Just before I quit for the morning a guy I know comes by and says he had what he thought was a mid to high 30"s fish on about 3 hours earlier and it was foul hooked around the gill plate. It got off after a long fight about 10 feet away from the boat and slowly swan and half sunk away. At first I thought he was just pulling my leg as he was privy to the radio chat. I went back to him after we lost a fish as I was pulling the gear in. Asked him if he was serious and yep he was. I felt bad like do I give it back to him or ????? Then his guys yell over well at least its not going to waste. They got to know the weight, we confirmed it was a fish good to eat and we both have a story to tell. A stubby male and he hooked it at 53 feet at what I figure must have been around 7am. Here is the pic back at the dock.

cool story, did you at least offer to share the catch with him?

Back