Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Sammy...it was a weird situation....neither of us 100% sure if we were talking about the same fish...likely it was. What was ironic if that he used to work for BC Hydro and I met him as they had a floor hockey night and I used to join in when I was young. The guy I had on board today works for BC Hydro!!! weird!!!

The fish oozed a bit of blood when I brought it on board. It was windy and sloppy out and the fish slid around on the deck and got the blood all down one side. I hosed off one side of the fish back at the dock but for that pic the side I didn't hose off faced the camera. BTW that isn't me in the pic that was a client who is from north of Edmonton.

...talk about a gift from the gods;what are the odds...:cool:

You know what is really funny...I thought about Englishman. Here is a guy that puts in lots of time and earns every fish he gets and deserves to catch more. I just scoop a 42 out of the water that drifts by me. Better not tell him he might do something drastic!!! ;)

I'm playing devils Advocate here...

By the letter of the law is it even legal for a rec fishermen to scoop salmon without first hooking it in the mouth?

Poor fish tragic for it to get away only to die I always like to believe everything I release or that gets off finds a way to survive.

Glad you got it Pro.. What a shame if a great Tyee like that had given up its life and gone to waste. Never chased a dead one but I have chased a few tired big ones on the surface that had broke off from anglers lines and were dragging around a flasher on the surface where it caused the least drag. Never managed to get a hold of the flashers or line and get one of those fish in but it is fun trying. I would think most of those salmon would eventually die as they don't have the energy to go down and pull that spinning flasher anymore even when the boat is right beside them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've chased live ones dragging flashers too...probably have looked like an idiot spinning donuts and racing around with the gear still out. Never had a spinning setup handy to try and snag a swivel with a zilda or similar and like you never actually caught one. This one stayed still but it still wasn't that easy in the wind to get it. Was worried about running it over and sinking it.

A couple years ago we were running back from fishing Pill point in Barclay sound, it was the last day of the Port Alberni salmon fest. In the closed area of rainy bay we saw a fish floating belly up, quickly turned around and scooped it in the net. It was huge, low 40's we thought. The leading fish for the derby was in the 30's and of coarse all these thoughts were running through our heads... As we were staring at the fish in the bottom of the boat,outta nowhere fisheries pulled up beside us and saw the fish in the net. He was Irate, so pissed off and he wanted to give us a $300 fine for fishing in closed waters. We talked our way out of it and was forced to release the fish... Anyways,not trying to hijack the thread, nice fish profisher

'thinking about heading out this afternoon for the early evening current change. From reading reports and talking to guys at the dock, I've gathered there's fish from 50 ft to 140. Would I be correct to generalise, there's less fish at the moment up shallow, but more likely if you hook into one its going to be larger.(summer springs here early) and the deeper fish would be more likely to be local springs and probly smaller(resident springs). (of course there's ALWAYS exceptions I know)

Does my logic make sense to anyone else? lol

Also, is anyone else concerned with the fact that the winter springs this year have been quite large, and now theres 30+ pound springs showing up in middle of june?
Isnt that a tad early?

Generally speaking migrating fish run shallow, feeders run deeper. Feeders are predominately on Needle Fish close to the bottom. Migratory fish when they arrive inshore or in the surf line on the West Coast are usually shallow. I believe water temp. comes into play on migratory fish if they are running deep. I have seen times in Barkley Sound when fishing was dead only to find that the Chinooks had come in deep to arrive in Alberni Inlet. Current, water temp, and proximity to home stream will usually determine depth of mature migrating fish. Then again when you think you got it figured out the fish proves you wrong.

In keeping with this thread. Great story Rollie, have you been snatching any deer carcasses off the highway lately?

No worries, pro, englishman would never be happy to scoop out a dead slab. He is a sports fisherman through and through and wants to trick it, battle it and hand-defeat it. Same with me. Seeing a dead slab like that would make me only sad. Weird is that no seal/sealion/whale got it in all that time. Other times you cant fight a spring for a few seconds before one of these poachers latch on!

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what is really funny...I thought about Englishman. Here is a guy that puts in lots of time and earns every fish he gets and deserves to catch more. I just scoop a 42 out of the water that drifts by me. Better not tell him he might do something drastic!!! ;)

Ha. ha. That's a good one Rollie!!:) Maybe I should just drift around out there looking for the escapees!!

P.S. I saw a flasher being dragged around a coupla' years ago. Like you guys I could not catch it either. Am carrying a rod with a bait casting reel these days, so I'll try the Stingsilda idea next time and maybe one day I'll have one on the dock as big as yours!!!:cool:

No worries, pro, englishman would never be happy to scoop out a dead slab. He is a sports fisherman through and through and wants to trick it, battle it and hand-defeat it. Same with me. Seeing a dead slab like that would make me only sad. Weird is that no seal/sealion/whale got it in all that time. Other times you cant fight a spring for a few seconds before one of these poachers latch on!
True Chris, true. My previous post is all in jest!!:D

Better day today, found some fish! 4 fish 15-27 lbs all caught off The Head on chovi 71-86 ft. Spread out one every 2 hrs like clockwork, 6:00-12:00, go figure.

Generally speaking migrating fish run shallow, feeders run deeper. Feeders are predominately on Needle Fish close to the bottom. Migratory fish when they arrive inshore or in the surf line on the West Coast are usually shallow. I believe water temp. comes into play on migratory fish if they are running deep. I have seen times in Barkley Sound when fishing was dead only to find that the Chinooks had come in deep to arrive in Alberni Inlet. Current, water temp, and proximity to home stream will usually determine depth of mature migrating fish. Then again when you think you got it figured out the fish proves you wrong.

In keeping with this thread. Great story Rollie, have you been snatching any deer carcasses off the highway lately?

Once read a theory that large pre-spawning salmon, heavy and swollen with eggs and milt don’t like the water pressure down really deep and are more comfortable at shallower depths. Not sure I buy it as we have caught very large pre spawning Ho’s down as deep as 150, but perhaps for Chinook ???

Back