removing old gas gauge??

• Thread starter Thread starter Ringostar
  • Start date Start date
R

Ringostar

I have an old gas tank 30 gallon in the deck, the unit in the tank is kaput. problem is all the screw are all corroded bronze. I can get 2 out of 8 out. Any way to remove these besides drilling slowly with grease on the bit?? Want to try and avoid contaminating the tank.

all info appreciated

RS

I swear by the Canadian Tire Screw Extractor. So long as you can get it started nice and centred, I LOVE the things for getting rounded screws off. You want the little ones, not the large ones wtih the large flukes, these ones are around 2 inches long. I'd offer to lend you mine, but they are too big for a fuel tank sender screw. Anyone who deals with *&^%$ rounded off stainless screws HAS to have theme.

left hand drill bits., see you neighborhood snap on tools rep.. he will set ya up with what you need to getrdone..

The curse of the hard to remove screw. Left handed drill bits work reasonably well for rounded of fastners but for the next to impossible screws you may have to take a very sharp center punch,put a punch mark in the top of the fastner and try hitting the screw in a counter clockwise direction. If will turn even a little you have it made if you are patient enough to work it back and forth and not expand the screw. Bronze is very easy to swell. As a sidenote when putting the new sender in you will want to avoid never seize as it will react with bronze and stainless as a combination a do the opposite of what it was designed to do. If the screws still do not come out with any of the previously mentioned methods take a sharp cold chiesel and take the heads off the screws and remove the sender. You will than be able to get access to the part of the screw sticking in the tank with pliers or 4 inch vise grips.

Back