Gaddammit need to rethink the chartplotter

• So with the first plan to use a Lowrance Elite FS9, let it eat 1/2 with a small screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go with a Garmin GPSMAP 943XSV, Which will only eat half my dash and buy reading glasses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YachtMech

Well here I am, new to this forum, but not new to working on boats. I figured since I was overhauling our 24' zeta I may as well show the work being done for anyone who would consider doing this themselves.

Quick Summary of what is below, We decided to go to a duoprop and a newer fuel Injected engine. And I figured If I was going to go as far as replacing the engine and drive I may as welll rebuild the whole boat. Start clenching teeth now...

first a bit of history on me, I'm a liscensed captain and a coast guard trained marine engineer and have spent the last 15 years refitting and repairing large private yachts. I have done everything from teak decking installs to overhauls on 9000hp diesels. I figured If I was going to catalogue this project I might as well post it so others can use it to learn. I have been a die hard fisherman my whole life and fish for everything from crappie to chinook, both by rod and speargun.

The boat: Its a 1978 Zeta 24 flybridge narrow cabin, we purchased it a few years ago as I have always liked these. After a few discussions with Charlie (Chaz) Hutchinson we decided to purchase the vessel as it was a great candidate to apply my skills to. Right from the start we knew were would be converting it to a volvo duoprop, however we had not decided if we were going to go as far as a diesel or stick to the venerable 5.7 GXi. We decided to go the latter as finding a suitable diesel was not practical, we knew which one we wanted but could not find it (maybe in the future). We knew we wanted to remove all the old laminated plywood interior, and most of the fabric wall panels and replace them with wood, along with quite a lot of extra wood trim. All said and done I did the math on all the additions we were making to make sure the stability, balance and trim would be in the correct ballpark, and all said and done we would be adding about 550 lbs to the boat with all the additional equipment and tankage.

Disclaimer, The goal for this boat is to make it safe, Easy to maintain, and make form follow function. that being said I am NOT a fan of super shiny bright work, I rather the satin or matt look on wood surfaces, as they are easier to maintain as you can just wipe on some fresh oil to keep it looking good, so anyone hoping to see super glossy varnished woodwork will be mostly disappointed.

It should be noted this boat is kept on a trailer, If it was left in salt water there are some things I would change/make additions to. Futhermore everything will be done in complicance with ABYC and Transport Cananda standards

The work list is as follows
-Replace engine and drive
-Remove ALL the existing wiring and replace as per ABYC codes and fully label the system.
-Add secondary fuel tank
-add primary water racor separator
-add fuel selector valve
-Install new chartplotter/fishfinder with integrated engine displays
-Add AIS
-New Controls
-Inverter
-Head with holding tank
-all new seating and cabinetry
-make port side seat power sliding to change positions.
-new engine cover and TONS of sound proofing to make the boat as comfortably quiet as possible
-New LED lighting throughout, interior, exterior, docking, nav, courtesy
-New Headliner
-New larger water tanks
-new fresh water pump
-Add deck drains to dedicated sump/scupper boxes with redundant bilge pumps
-replace all chromed zinc, chromed bronze or plastic fittings with stainless, everything but the intake strainer is going to stainless (preferably 316 cast polished), railing fittings, rod holders
-new stainless polished intake boxes with integrated drains and water deflection.
-Salt water washdown
-New stainless and teak swim grid, extended and raised slightly
-New tender inflatable RIB with weaver lifter
-Add teak decking to cockpit
-Add teak and sapele flooring to cabin
-Add new Dedicated and separate house and engine batteries
-Add dedicated and separate DC breaker panels for house and engine
-Add AC breaker panel
-Add 30A shore power
-Change all the deck fills to keyless
-Add bowsprit and windlass
-new anchor and ground tackle
-Add overhead Helm electronics box
-All new LED push switches for controls
-Offset upper helm pump (as its centred on the seat, should be to one side to allow two people to sit)
-New Headliner with teak battens
-all new teak or sapele deck cap rails or step plates
-fabricate swing out boarding steps
-add swim grid ladder
-underwater lights
-Add secondary VHF to flybridge
-Add smaller secondary slave nav console to bridge
-make new removeable dining table that will integrate into the seating as a daybed
-Add shelving and storage spaces where possible.
-Stainless galley top
-new propane stove
-new gas sensor (propane and CO) in cabin
-new gas/water/fire detection system in engine space
-new fire suppresion system
-TEAK, SAPELE, MAHOGANY AND WALNUT TRIM THE **** OUT OF EVERYTHING!!!

work commenced January 28, 2021

Last edited:
This, for reference is how it was purchased, not bad as she sat, but it was clear many things had been added and removed over the years as this was made evident by copious amounts of spare wiring.

Attachments

• IMG-1341.JPG
    IMG-1341.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG-1426.JPG
    IMG-1426.JPG
    367.9 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG-1345.JPG
    IMG-1345.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG-1346.JPG
    IMG-1346.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG-1348.JPG
    IMG-1348.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG-1349.JPG
    IMG-1349.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG-1350.JPG
    IMG-1350.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC04710.JPG
    DSC04710.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG-1339.JPG
    IMG-1339.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN0081[1].JPG
    DSCN0081[1].JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 370
Looking forward to this one.

Headliner install, Marine vinyl, marine foam backing, Teak battens (temporarily screwed down as I ran out of finishing washers). Some of the teak trim has been fitted as well as the new self backing (baltic birch)

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-0454.jpg
    IMG-0454.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-0468.jpg
    IMG-0468.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG-0469.jpg
    IMG-0469.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG-0470.jpg
    IMG-0470.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG-0471.jpg
    IMG-0471.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 172
some of the sapele getting fitted and oiled, this wood has a beautiful ribbon patern. More has been fitted today but it got to dark for pictures.

Attachments

• IMG-0507.jpg
    IMG-0507.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG-1651.JPG
    IMG-1651.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG-1652.JPG
    IMG-1652.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG-1653.JPG
    IMG-1653.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG-2097.JPG
    IMG-2097.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG-2098.JPG
    IMG-2098.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 154
The expanding foam in the bottom is to reshape the bildge so water drains fully when on the trailer, the keel stinger makes it so you have to place the garboard drain higher than the acutal bottim, this has now been sanded and faired, and will be glassed over tomorrow. also the new deck sumps integrated against the engine frames, also epoxy coated and roughed in, will also be fiberglassed tomorrow. Also visible is the the new through hull backing blocks, one for the engine and one for a salt water washdown. These are made from two layers of black locust interspaced with 2 layers of heavy glass fiber, and capped with 3 additonal layers to build up a 1.5" total thickness.

Also pictured is some "kilmat" this is simply sound deadening film, with a foil back for insulation, it cuts down on the reverberation though the hull, this has since been covered up by a white textured FRP panel.

Attachments

• IMG-0496.jpg
    IMG-0496.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG-0498.jpg
    IMG-0498.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG-0499.jpg
    IMG-0499.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG-0505.jpg
    IMG-0505.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 215
Head installed, Vented Loop in the bow, vent installed port side inside the hanging locker, discharge fitted just in front of the tank, these were already fitted and in perfect shape, added seacocks to both and a one way valve to the discharge to prevent backflushing while on plane. the vented loop is also vented to the exterior of the boat to prevent gassing ourselves.

Attachments

• IMG-2126.JPG
    IMG-2126.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG-2127.JPG
    IMG-2127.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-2132.JPG
    IMG-2132.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 168
here are the plans for the swim grid and the air box for the engine and blower intake, with the zeta text cut out from the stainless face plate. It will all be tig welded together, 304L stainless steel

Attachments

• Swim grid-page-001.jpg
    Swim grid-page-001.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 82
  • Air box final -page-001.jpg
    Air box final -page-001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 81
  • air box faceplate.jpg
    air box faceplate.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 82
Looks like quite the candidate to begin with.
the overall condition was pretty good, much was still stock, the upoholstry is in mint condition, its one of the few things we are keeping actually

some of the sapele getting fitted and oiled, this wood has a beautiful ribbon patern. More has been fitted today but it got to dark for pictures.
Gorgeous wood.

Very interested to see this one go together in a manner handled by a pro...be a nice change from the amateur work of one builder I could mention.

I love build threads, even though the one that I've spent the most time in was created by a half-drunk halfwit who slept with my wife.

This is definitely going to be a fun ride!

Very interested to see this one go together in a manner handled by a pro...be a nice change from the amateur work of one builder I could mention.

I love build threads, even though the one that I've spent the most time in was created by a half-drunk halfwit who slept with my wife.

This is definitely going to be a fun ride!
I am surprised you spent so much time following my build.

Headliner install, Marine vinyl, marine foam backing, Teak battens (temporarily screwed down as I ran out of finishing washers). Some of the teak trim has been fitted as well as the new self backing (baltic birch)
Have a close look to see how the fasteners from the Top section to the boat hull look. They may be rusting out and if you can replace most with stainless now is a great time to do it.

Back