Gaddammit need to rethink the chartplotter

• So with the first plan to use a Lowrance Elite FS9, let it eat 1/2 with a small screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go with a Garmin GPSMAP 943XSV, Which will only eat half my dash and buy reading glasses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Curious why you would impede yourself with an I/O if you were going to that much trouble to upgrade why not an outboard? Which would also increase the waterplane and room Inside for all that stuff you want to do. I'm not convinced a 3.0T would give the required performance.
well a good outboard would cost me more than installing the OM606, and i perfer diesels, and then there is the fact we have a tender on the back, which is difficult to do with outboards.

plus the OM606 has already been proven in mutiple boats that weigh more than this one, and the engine fully dressed weighs only 539lbs wet which is less than the 5.7 SBC without marine parts, and when you look at the added weight of marinization its even greater weight savings. plus they rev as high as the 5.7 v8 and make power in the same rpm range with more torque, so no need to switch gear ratios either.

and its diesel..... I like diesel...

FYI I am a Marine Engineer, Have my own service company, I have litterally done all the math on this, and its the better option in this case for the goals.

well a good outboard would cost me more than installing the OM606, and i perfer diesels, and then there is the fact we have a tender on the back, which is difficult to do with outboards.

plus the OM606 has already been proven in mutiple boats that weigh more than this one, and the engine fully dressed weighs only 539lbs wet which is less than the 5.7 SBC without marine parts, and when you look at the added weight of marinization its even greater weight savings. plus they rev as high as the 5.7 v8 and make power in the same rpm range with more torque, so no need to switch gear ratios either.

and its diesel..... I like diesel...

FYI I am a Marine Engineer, Have my own service company, I have litterally done all the math on this, and its the better option in this case for the goals.
We all love diesel, I look forward to the result.
Maybe we've sailed together, good luck Chief, I'll stick to driving boats.

a couple examples of OM606 engines in boats

and in case anyone is wondering, yes I will be keeping record of everything I do, just in case I decide to start building these and making them availbe as repower options for I/O boats to replace v8's

I would love to see some pictures or find out what you’re doing, if you’re so inclined. I grew up on a 24 Zeta which is still in the family and gets regular use. She’s a 1974 (third hull Zeta built, apparently) and we refurbished her about 7 years ago.
I have a 1972 zeta 24 which is hull #6 as confirmed by chaz and his dad so yours is higher than that one but cheers any zeta is a good zeta

Back