Mercruiser Power Trim pump leak

MR fisher

1976 21’ Fiberform with 165 hp Mercruiser I/O.

Just when I thought that I had all of the winter jobs done and was ready to take the boat for the first spring test run I discovered a new problem. The stern drive trim system is having issues. The system worked flawlessly through the fall and also when tested after completing rewiring a few weeks ago. However, when testing it last week the stern drive trimmed down no problem but was extremely slow to come back up. While activating the Up buttons I could hear the engine working, but also air bubbling under pressure. When I had a look at the pump I found the hydraulic line under the fluid tank to be dripping frothy oil that had clearly been leaking out of the system under pressure from above.

Due to there being limited work space I could not determine the exact source of the leak. I had to remove the motor for closer inspection and did not find any leaks around the bottom of the unit. The seals seem intact. The source of the leak is either where the line screws into the motor (maybe it somehow worked itself loose?) or on the fittings of the hydraulic line itself (seems a lot more likely to me). Being old it seems like the logical solution is to just replace the hydraulic line and fittings, but the problem is that I have no access to where the other end of this line fastens because of where the engine and lower unit are mounted. I cannot even access them visually or with a camera for a proper inspection. I don’t know how this could be accessed without removing the entire engine, or at least the leg. As an added complication, there is no slack in the line. It’s not like it could be cut to have a new fitting crimped on.

I hoping there might be some people here with similar experiences who might be able to make some suggestions. If I end up having to take it to the pros I will, but I’m trying to learn to do as much as I can to learn to deal with issues that come up where/when mechanics aren’t available. I’ll include some relevant photos. Thanks.

Photos showing:
-the pump in place
-side view
-from under with my finger pointing at the port where the leaking line connects
-line after pump was removed

Attachments

• pump in place.jpeg
    pump in place.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 27
  • side.jpeg
    side.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 27
  • under.jpeg
    under.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 27
  • hydr line.jpeg
    hydr line.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 28
You could be correct: it's an issue with the fitting. Hydraulic pumps put out a lot of pressure. However, if that fitting is tight, I doubt it's the hose. Oil could be leaking down from the pump, itself. I just replaced my 30 year old unit - it was leaking from an internal seal. I found a replacement on E-Bay for $300. Working great, now!

Agree with sea fox, the oring under that plate the hose attaches to will blow out when leg is fully lifted and held on to long, I couldn,t here it when it was all the way up because of engine noise and held the lift on to long, had to replace oring twice before clueing in, mine was a older bellboy 1978 with the same set up as yours.

Thanks guys. I did talk with a marine mechanic and he is suggesting that I put things back together and try to diagnose the source of leak more precisely. It won't be easy to do because there is so little slack in a line, but I will see what I can do without tomorrow. He also mentioned the o-rings being a possibility so I guess that is where I look there is an obvious leak from the line. It sounds like if the line has to be replaced it is going to be a giant ordeal though.

Foxsea, how did you find that replacement part? It sounds like a modern replacement could be 1,500 plus!

Are they original, I would change them regardless of what they look like
I don't think original, but definitely a little flattened. I grabbed new ones today.

Also removed the plate from the manifold at the stern to get access to the bottom end of the possibly leaky line. At least that was pretty easy so I'll be able to replace the line if needed. It was pretty gross in there. Some oil and build up of general crap. I gave it a good cleaning but left it loose to allow inspection for leaks on that end. I'll reconnect things tomorrow and check for leaks. I guess I'll have to replace a seal there too. A lot of work but at least I'm learning. Gotta keep telling myself that...

Attachments

• PXL_20240330_225625148.jpg
    PXL_20240330_225625148.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 18
Gotta replace the line. Pretty obvious leak where the fitting enters the manifold. Everything from the pump up looked good though. I guess it makes sense to do the manifold too.

I don't know the pressure specs on those lines. Not in the stern drive manual If I were to get a new line made for me at Lordco or something any suggestions on what I need to tell them? Googling didn't help here.

Thanks guys. I did talk with a marine mechanic and he is suggesting that I put things back together and try to diagnose the source of leak more precisely. It won't be easy to do because there is so little slack in a line, but I will see what I can do without tomorrow. He also mentioned the o-rings being a possibility so I guess that is where I look there is an obvious leak from the line. It sounds like if the line has to be replaced it is going to be a giant ordeal though.

Foxsea, how did you find that replacement part? It sounds like a modern replacement could be 1,500 plus!
I just entered a search on eBay. Mine was removed from a newer, wrecked boat.
Yeah - new are crazy prices!
Here's one:

Last edited:
I just entered a search on eBay. Mine was removed from a newer, wrecked boat.
Yeah - new are crazy prices!
Here's one:
Not sure if this unit works for your application MR fisher, but here's a brand new unit listed on FB Marketplace in the Campbell River area.
Current asking price of $500 vs. the original 2020 purchase price of $1053 all in. (No affiliation with the seller)

Gotta replace the line. Pretty obvious leak where the fitting enters the manifold. Everything from the pump up looked good though. I guess it makes sense to do the manifold too.

I don't know the pressure specs on those lines. Not in the stern drive manual If I were to get a new line made for me at Lordco or something any suggestions on what I need to tell them? Googling didn't help here.
Go to an actual hose shop not lordco, or a mercruiser dealer.

It's good to know there are replacement options out there but I'm hoping that dealing with the hose will fix it. When I tested yesterday the motor raised and lowered the leg beautifully until the pressure was lost though the leak.

It's good to know there are replacement options out there but I'm hoping that dealing with the hose will fix it. When I tested yesterday the motor raised and lowered the leg beautifully until the pressure was lost though the leak.
Sometimes, when old parts start to go, it's one after the other. Just a reason to buy the new one.

The fitting may be the same as brake lines so SS braided brake line should work. They are flare fittings from my memory. Shiphappens would know better.

They are flare and very small. Think the actual nut is 1/8 npt on the external hoses. Think the ones inside the boat are 1/4. The OP is working with the old system. Back when they used that big solenoid and was very old school. It lasted this long. I'd say pull it, scrap bin and send a new one in there.

Back