Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

I found salmon 250 of water at 80 and 100 feet on hoochies 21 to 27 lb ,hallys fishing was great keep 6 in 3 hours 25 to 55 lb let go 4 ,15 to 20 went down to Brookes the next day for a couple hours limit red snapper and 12 lings then the wind was getting up so I left ,safety first,sunny three days but the winds kept you on your toes,all ,an all great trip water temp 59 then drop to 54 Saturday First time there , Saw whales,killer,humpback,big sunfish,coho,pinks,blue shark follow us for few min,eagles,and of corse otters! I'll be back boomer thanks to all the people that point us to the fish boomer

Heading up to Winter Harbour on Wednesday for a week. I haven't seen any reports of late, is there been any sign of the "bigger" springs coming in? Hali fishing? Coho?

Fished cliffe point this am, from about 8. Got a couple of coho, saw many more landed around us. Most other boats were fishing bait, we were using spoons. Weather turned out great, rain stopped before we got to cliffe from coal Harbour. All gassed up and prepped for tomorrow (with chovies now too)

On a side note, where do people suggest eating in the port hardy area? We went for our last ever visit at the quarterdeck tonight. Their "special" was terrible. Overcooked, underseasoned snapper with over and undercooked fries, good thing it was all you can eat *retch*.

Hope tomorrow works out better. Will post final results when we get back tomorrow or Tuesday.

If you like Sushi, go to the one on the waterfront with the big glass windows...Tadcha sushi or something like that. Not bad sushi for way up here. If not the the little sports bar just before it is not bad and Malones is good, just not sure if they are open tonight. They are up by Hardy Bouys, above the chev dealership.

Good luck tomorrow, buddy was saying they did Ok offshore today.

We smoked them in McNeill this morning, limit of springs and sockeye....so you might want to fish hardy as well.

Cheers

SS

Go to sporties bar and grill...have their thai chili squid or their chowder...unreal, plus my gf works there...so it's easy on the eyes when you're there too haha Burgers are amazing there...sporty penne is great too...I'm there almost every night...

So the 2nd day was a big time boom. Fished cliffe pt early and got into them good.

Chovies were the answer for the Coho and springs there liked the cop car.

19399740.jpg

My dad and I both got 25/27lb springs and kept 6 ho's. We were hopeful this one broke the 30 mark because it broke our net.

35154139.jpg

Awesome day, we were off the point by noon. Lots of whales and sea otters waving goodbye.

Crab traps still got poached, but we've come to expect that in Coal. All in all, it was an awesome end to a good trip.

On a side note, where do people suggest eating in the port hardy area? We went for our last ever visit at the quarterdeck tonight. Their "special" was terrible. Overcooked, underseasoned snapper with over and undercooked fries, good thing it was all you can eat *retch*.

You thought the food was bad you should try staying in the hotel. The owners need to give their heads a shake. As if this is how they plan on running the place, it won't be there much longer. No one will ever want to have any thing to do with the Quarterdeck if they keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can almost guarantee you the Snapper, aint snapper. Good alternative in Hardy.."Escape Bistro" at the old snuggles located at Pioneer inn. Put's the rest of them to shame...IMHO...

I can almost guarantee you the Snapper, aint snapper. Good alternative in Hardy.."Escape Bistro" at the old snuggles located at Pioneer inn. Put's the rest of them to shame...IMHO...

I learned a long time ago, nothing like "local knowledge"! :)

x2 on escape bistro...probably the best food I've had on the island and its freaking in port hardy of all places haha have the schnitzel

Nice pics Heavyc, I'm hoping to have the same as were heading up tomorrow for 6 days of fun in good old flatsovil. Were there any reports out at Kains or offshore?
My buddy was just telling me that his mate and a group just got got from Winter this afternoon, he was saying the last 2 days have beem phenonimal with big slabs coming in. It finally sounds like the fish have
arrived.

I didn't see many boats fishing off kains yesterday(one or two), and not many that were out fishing cliff pt were catching.

I'm going back next Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting. So if you see a whaler looking center console boat with bumbling idiots on board swing by and say hello.

A buddy (Hardy local) of mine told me that a 60lb spring came in the other day out of Hardy.

It was 58lbs. Same day my dad got a 51, 48, 42, 39, 32, and 25. I got 4 over 30 that day including a 42...next day was deader than a door nail...august fishing up here is either gold or bust it seems sometimes.

No word of a lie, my dad went to duval this morning and even in high winds he limited out on Chinook by 8am...no monsters but all between 20 and 33lbs...so pretty darn good anyway. tomorrow supposed to blow 40knots so he'll be there given er once again.

Crazy weather and crazy fishing this year David.

Good job for your dad, as Duval is not a nice place to be with Goletas howling!!!

Flat calm down here and pinks until your arms fall off, but good news on the springs, means they will be here by Monday.......late for work again.

Cheers

SS

Ken, I'd say this is the calmest season we have ever had...only 4 days all year that were howling up here...unbelievable especially compared to last year when it was super rough almost every day...love this year, plus best fishing we've had too! :D

Heard winter is spotty for springs, tons of coho though...winter has had a really inconsistent/slow season for springs from what I'm hearing...quite odd.

Yeah I would agree with that-i've fished it for 14 years 6-8 times a year and as I look back at my records even 2008 was easier to find springs!

They are definitely passing by winter though, as farther down on WCVI fishing was average if not above average...ugh, don't remind me of 2008 lol 09, 10, and 11 have been my best 3 seasons i've ever seen however :D upward trend? Let's hope...2012 will determine this i'd say as those are the 2008 offspring.

Back