Tahsis VS Port Hardy

Murry

Hi
Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions on choosing a home base for this summer between Tahsis and Port Hardy. Currently, I have a place in Tahsis that I love, but it has some limitations. Firstly, the season is very short, running from basically just July and August. It can be extended to June 15th or September 15th, but that's being very generous. Secondly, there are no marine mechanic services available. While Westview Marina used to have a mechanic, there hasn't been one for Mercury Motors for the past couple of years. Thirdly, throughout most of the season, the good fishing is along the coastline, which is a minimum of 45-50 minutes each way. Fourthly, the cost of fuel is getting higher and higher, with $2.50 per liter being the norm. When using a minimum of 170 liters each day, it really adds up fast. On the positive side, the fishing is great, the people are great, and the uncrowded spaces are a major advantage.

I'm not keen on leaving Tahsis, but I want to explore my options. So, what are your opinions on this matter?

Thanks in advance.

Close to hardy chinook does not open until mid July and then it goes to a slot limit. The better fishing is at least a 30 mile run with open water. You can fish quatsino which is protected but you will be looking at least a 30 mile run also. Limits for ling and rockfish are lower close to Hardy compared to the outside. I don't think you will save any fuel in hardy over tashis.

chance further places from hardy even become 1 per day on chinook this year so id say stick tasis
There hasn’t been any announcements yet. Last year it was 2/day once you got farther north and easy pickings

I like Hardy more honestly vs Esperanza area. Esperanza is nice but not like Hardy. This year I sort of wish we were doing our group trip there, but we are going somewhere else.

Some of the best fishing for me has been close in. People don't put any time or spread out, and the guides here are going to tell you to go far because they have to load up with their guests in fixed time frame. There are tons of places to go there close in. Not to mention the coho fishing can be great there.

Each time me and my friends have been there we manage to do well on bottom fish/salmon pretty close. I never go on those long meat based runs myself. The majority of fish that were close were well within slot limit anyway,so that wasn't an issue. Nothing wrong with Duvall.

Biggest fish we lost last time at Daphne. Probably pushing 30-40lbs. One other trip we fished backside of Gordons. Guy next to me landed a 39lb spring (when it wasn't a slot).

My other buds do great on halibut in a bunch of places and those aren't that far. Lingcod found same thing but again have to go around explore the area.

Last edited:
I know both very well-Port Hardy isn't in any way a better fishery no matter what some believe.

IMGP0278.jpg

A familiar scene to those fishing Port Hardy

IMGP0324.jpg

Offshore Quatsino

MGP0015.jpg

Beautiful Nootka

Most of my north Island experience is out of Port McNeill, but I have fished Nootka and Esperanza a bit. We've caught four 30+ lb fish in Queen Charlotte Strait in the past few years- plus a couple of halibut ~70 lb a few years earlier when that was legal. I get the appeal of the West Coast, but my crew absolutely prefer QC Strait - partly for the calmer water, partly for the variety of fishing and services. Between Hardy and McNeill you have multiple restaurants, mechanics, shops for gear replacement, and fish processing at Hardy Buoys [with options for smoking, freezing, delivery to your house]. Also paved roads all the way to the ramp and secure boat and trailer storage. And yes, I do plan to return to the West Coast, too.

Thank you, everybody, for your input. I don't mind travelling longer distances and can handle most seas since my rig is a 31.5 BW Conquest. However, I hoped to find a place with a longer season and better services. Servicing my rig can be quite difficult in Tahsis, and transporting it for service is expensive and challenging. This is especially true since my truck is not big enough to haul my rig and I need to find a boat hauler.

I haven't fished Hardy so I'm not sure of the crowds. I hate combat fishing!

Any more opinions???

Do you own in tashsis? I think people are everything. Find a friend with a more efficient trailerable boat and a tidy tank for 1.83 gas and do 1/2 your trips with him?
Yes we've owned a place in Tahsis for about the last 5 years. Love love the people!!!!!!!

Thank you, everybody, for your input. I don't mind travelling longer distances and can handle most seas since my rig is a 31.5 BW Conquest. However, I hoped to find a place with a longer season and better services. Servicing my rig can be quite difficult in Tahsis, and transporting it for service is expensive and challenging. This is especially true since my truck is not big enough to haul my rig and I need to find a boat hauler.

I haven't fished Hardy so I'm not sure of the crowds. I hate combat fishing!

Any more opinions???
There are a few crowded spots - if you call a dozen or so boats spread over a mile 'crowded'. And a hundred spots that aren't.

Yes we've owned a place in Tahsis for about the last 5 years. Love love the people!!!!!!!
winter harbour, easier fishing, close in,. can get boat serviced in coal harbour, tech would come from hardy. gas in coal harbour is cheaper too than hardy

Most of my north Island experience is out of Port McNeill, but I have fished Nootka and Esperanza a bit. We've caught four 30+ lb fish in Queen Charlotte Strait in the past few years- plus a couple of halibut ~70 lb a few years earlier when that was legal. I get the appeal of the West Coast, but my crew absolutely prefer QC Strait - partly for the calmer water, partly for the variety of fishing and services. Between Hardy and McNeill you have multiple restaurants, mechanics, shops for gear replacement, and fish processing at Hardy Buoys [with options for smoking, freezing, delivery to your house]. Also paved roads all the way to the ramp and secure boat and trailer storage. And yes, I do plan to return to the West Coast, too.
I only guided for a dozen days last summer in Port Hardy and saw more tyees in those days than I did in my last 5 years guiding in Tofino

Back