Picking the right flasher

Hottest flasher in my war-chest these days:
Oki - UV plastic blade, mirror (no, not plaid, MIRROR</u>) with blue-green mist on one leading edge. This has been pulling them faster than any other on the WCVI. Of course it helps to have the right spoons and hootchies to drag behind them :D

Cheers,
Nog - Toddling back to "work" within the hour...

Hello IronNoggin. You've got me curious. Why do you favour this particular flasher so much? Why the mirror finish over the prism plaid? PM me if you like.

I remember reading an article online somewhere that went through every single flasher colour(including black) and the right conditions to use it - anyone know where I can find this?

Flasher & Colors
The flasher is designed to attract fish trough vibrations first and then sight… transitioning the fish to the movement of the bait/lure. Leader length and presentation are far moreimportant than flasher color.

“White – No question…my personal favorite…” a statement made by another, is a correct statement, especially for fish here in the Puget Sound area and running in deep water. This does follow the Spectrum Fishing Theory. White is made up of the colors red, blue, and green. As it descends, it loses the color in its respective spectrum. At approximately 14 feet, it starts to loset he red spectrum, leaving the blue and green to be seen. Not a bad choice! If I had but one to choose from here in PS, it would be white! However, on the WCVI my favoritecolors are green/silver, red/silver, and blue/silver.

Light is absorbed by water according to wavelength with the longer wave radiation (red) absorbed first. Maximum transmission is for short wavelengths of light. This absorption accounts for the disappearance of color from flashers and lures. In other words, a red flasher will appear black in deep water because no red light is present to reflect. If one is running red or orange below 20 feet,the color is not showing and it appears brown or black. If they are having success with these colors it is not due to the red or orange color, but related to the action, the flash (some glow paint or tape), or the fact that it is actually showing as black or brown in color. This is true as you move down in depth with the other colors.

We have all sought ways to determine the best colors. With most selecting a color either by asking others what is working or by picking one that has served well in the past. However, the best way is to use the Spectrum. It has proven reliable. Red is the favorite choice of fish if the red light rays are visible to them. When red rays are not visible, the closest to red in the color spectrum becomes the favorite. Therefore, a red flasher or lure should be the first to consider? Not necessarily, red is also the first color to fade out entirely and usually at a depth of approximately 14 feet, hence why most people end up using green. I am included! Orange, purple, and ultraviolet rays disappear below 45 feet (13.7 m). Yellow is visible to 90 feet (27.4 m), green to 110 feet (33.5 m), and blue to 180 feet (24.4 m). Colors below their visibility range only show as grey or black. I do switch to blue quite often in the afternoon and on overcast days! Remember even though the color fades, it is the contrast of that color that is important, also.

I use this to remember what colors to use, divide the solar spectrum into colors that are warm (red, orange, and yellow) or cold (green and blue). Warm colors are considered when fishing shallow water and in bright light. Cold colors when fishing deeper water and during lower-light periods.

Your metallic’s can also be considered, since they reflect specific colors. Brass and copper reflect yellow and orange, respectively. Silver reflects white. Nickel and chrome, as if mirrors reflect existing color rays at their depth. Black is made up of all colors and hence is the best contrast color.

Fluorescent colors offered in some flashers and lures look sharp; however, I see no real advantage for their use. Incidentally, fluorescents activated by ultraviolet rays are effective only in the upper 45 feet of the water column. Phosphorescent finishes are a different story, when exposed to light such as a flashlight they glow white. At least, for short periods then require recharging. Phosphorescent lures have proven effective on Chinook salmon especially early morning and late evening.

Because it greatly affects color penetration, light intensity must be considered when selecting the color. During the day, direct sunlight is the main light source, but a lesser significant source is diffused sky light. Direct light rays striking the water at a 30-degree angle or less are reflected, not contributing any light downward. The exception is on windy days when the angles of waves catch some of the rays and send flashes of light downward. This is why a chop on the surface is such a big help to fishing. Once light strikes the water at an angle greater than 30 degrees, it starts to penetrate deeper and deeper as the sun moves toward noon, with maximum penetration at mid-day. Then the sun starts to descend and light intensity decreases to eventual darkness. It is important to realize that colors penetrate differently as the day advances and light intensity changes. For a while in early light only blue rays will show. Then gradually green will be visible to fish, then yellow, and so on. Mid-day is optimum for penetration of all colors. During the afternoon, color visibility changes in reverse order, blue the last to be seen.

Each manufacturer has their own recommendations for leader length between the flasher and bait. These recommendationsare a good place to start. The length recommendations change for many reasons and need to be modified as needed for the fishing conditions. Since I am partial to “Hot Spot” flashers, I can attest the manufacturer recommended lengths due work.

However, in the end, one still needs to remember; the most important thing is the TOTAL overall:
Presentation - Presentation - Presentation

FYI... feel free to copy and use for personal use - it is not to be used commercially without written consent! ;)

Thanks Charlie, and many others who have shared their knowledge and experiences. Well spoken.

like all the rest of you, i have bags full of flashers/dodgers in a variety of color combinations. last season, i did my retro review and started and ended with what i used to use exclusively, les davis oo in chrome. i had zero problem keeping up with all the other 'hot shots' who were fiddling around changing gear while i was netting fish. sometimes simple is the very best solution.

I am sure colour matters, and UV rocks, but my most productive flasher is the one with the largest, smoothest running swivels. I give all my flashers a shot of WD-40 to keep the swivels performing, but I have an army truck with a 1" strip of UV tape on the other side that gets 90% of my hits. I have added UV stips to my other flashers, but the big difference is that this flasher spins better and gets a better kick than the others. I think it is an odd batch of larger swivels the factory used.

good call- I'll give that a shot

looking back in time, the commercial trollers always used 'abe n al' in one of the 4 color choices they made them in. of course luhr jensen no longer makes them probably because there are no more commercial trollers. but when they could make a living using this gear, i see no point in screwing around with a bunch of stuff on the shelf designed to catch people who fish :)

looking back in time, the commercial trollers always used 'abe n al' in one of the 4 color choices they made them in. of course luhr jensen no longer makes them probably because there are no more commercial trollers...

Click Here to see the Abe 'n Al-still in production

index.php

Also there's at least one commercial troller posting here who would take exception with your assertion that he doesn't work any more.

yep, still on their web site but just try and find one. everyone i have talked with tells me they are no longer in production. glad to hear their's at least one old timie troller still working. the troll boats down in the PA marina have not move in years, a really sad state of affairs.

... probably because there are no more commercial trollers...

4.gif

...there's at least one commercial troller posting here who would take exception with your assertion that he doesn't work any more.

And hey! I RESEMBLE that remark!!
1.gif

Might not work as much as the "Old Days", but there certainly are a few of us remaining... for now...

And btw, I never did use those flashers, and still don't! :p

Cheers,
Nog

4.gif

And hey! I RESEMBLE that remark!!
1.gif

Might not work as much as the "Old Days", but there certainly are a few of us remaining... for now...

And btw, I never did use those flashers, and still don't! :p

Cheers,
Nog

glad to hear you are still out there workin'

I picked my latest Abe & Al up @ Nikka in Steveston Village about 18 months ago it was a brand new package so I assume it wasn't old stock.

I can see hiccups in supply happening with the shift to offshore production and also the rising value of metals.

On a related note-anyone here have much experience with the Piscator or Double B line from Silver Horde?

flashers.jpg

F4PiscatorColorChart.jpg

i spoke with 4 different retail outlets and they all told me the abe n' al was no longer being produced. i was fortunate in that i kept at it and found a shop that had apparently picked up a close out stock from someplace. he told me he had about a hundred hammered chrome so i order up some. this guy also mentioned the piscator as an option and told me the swivels and such were as good as the abe n' al. next time i swing past that shop, about 2 hours from here, i will check these out, the look pretty good in the photo above and the long and narrow is certain to enhance the action of anything you attach, the real advantage of the abe n' al.

I have one old chrome abe n al that my grandpa passed on to me, to be honest though I've never even tried it..

Looks like Luhr Jensen still makes the Abe n' Al, check this out, http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/dodgers--flashers/abe--al-flasher

yes, i know its on their web site, updated who knows when, but retailers tell me its no longer available, check for yourself. the long and skinny really produces a great deal of movement for whatever you hang behind it and its really got quality swivels. the piscator looks like it comes in enough color combos to hook any angler and also has quality hardware.

Back