Picking the right flasher

Now why do I have a "Monkey Puke" flasher in my arsenal?
Never used it and still haven't figured out why I bought it.
It must have been one of those winter days when I was thinking about fishing and needed to get a fishing fix of some kind.
Amazing how much gear you can accumulate, just on the off chance that you might need it somday.

As far as I'm conserned (from a guides perspective) you cant beet breakaway flashers. Ive used them for the past 2 years and had zero problems with them. They eliminate flasher drag that i have seen pull hooks out of fish with guests on numerous occations. Not only that, they increase the fight dramatically. Best of all u can simple make them my drilling a hole in the bottom of any flasher (hole location dependent on action you are seeking) and insert the herring teaser head pins.

As far as flasher colors go i'm a strong advicate of green. Ultimately all colors do work, how good is dependent on your leader lengths with the specific gear you are runnig.

tight lines

quote:Originally posted by Ribone

....Best of all u can simple make them my drilling a hole in the bottom of any flasher (hole location dependent on action you are seeking) and insert the herring teaser head pins....

Now that's something I wondered about-Thanks for the tip! [8D]

I tried the sliding flashers years ago but found that when fishing in crowds of other boats,they would see my flasher beside the boat and assume the fish was under it,and carry on trolling over my line when the fish is still running.They would be great on the banks but not in any of the popular shore locations.

It's like steelheading for example. If you are only using orange spin and glows well then that is what you are going to catch them on. I have a whole box of flashers but If I had only one combo to use it would be a bright green edged prism/diamond tape hot spot flasher ( or the gold and green betsy ) also run the uv green teaser head that has the flourescent green sprayed top. Seven foot leader .

My other choice would be red /silver hot spot with a nose bleed teaser or a simple clear teaser.

My 3rd choice would be a purple haze flasher run with a uv teaser head.

I have always been consistent with those but that is probably because it's what I use.

Red shallow

Green -deep

Silver on bright days

Gold in murky waters

Red/silver for most time in the summer
Red/Gold for summer as well
Green/Silver for early season
Monkey Puke (the wifes) actually catches quite a few fish
Plaid/clear in the winter

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Red/silver for most time in the summer
Red/Gold for summer as well
Green/Silver for early season
Monkey Puke (the wifes) actually catches quite a few fish
Plaid/clear in the winter

Cheers

SS

x 2 generally. My favorite early season is plaid gold/green (especially in green water), gold betsy, and for shallow in August the gold on deep burgundy. The UV Purple Haze can be good on clear sunny days up shallow.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I tend to select a color of flasher and hoochie based on water clarity and light conditions. I will usually match a green hoochie to a green flasher, blue hoochie/blue flasher, etc. Not a hard and fast rule, but I generally stick with similar colored pairings.

For colors I often follow these guidelines.

very clear - blue water with good visibility - blue or purple flasher
clear or green water with good visibility - green flasher
murky water with poor visibility - red flasher or gold taped flasher

I also select flashers to match light intensity. Red flashers and gold taped flashers work well on very dark days and at first light and dusk.

These are only my opinions, everyone does things differently.

I personally think the color of the flasher is not much of a factor and comes down to individuals preference. To my way of thinking the main role of a flasher is to attract the fish through the sound it produces rolling through the water and to impart action to baits such as hootchies. So use whatever colo r you have confidence in. Osprey

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

gibbs "farr better flasher" - never tried, just seemed like hassle - how often does the pin pull without a fish on the end?

Gibbs Farr Better Flashers. I quite like them. They do help catch fish and fighting the fish is great with these flashers.

I had one of my best fishing trips using these flashers at Ferrer Point a number of years ago. I used them with larger Purple size herring in helmets behind the FBF. Labour Day weekend. Filled the box with close to a dozen Chinook in the 20 to 30 pound range. Not bad considering we didn't get out til the afternoon. I had the pin rigged for slower action.

The FBF is a bit of a pain to fish with, but it does get restults. Once you get used to rigging them, they are not too bad to work with. And you can get repair kits for the heavy line that the flasher slides on.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

What about size? Some say it don't matter but last year Kelly left a small green/glo flasher which hit most of the fish and has very little drag. I have about a hundred regular size but now I mostly use the small ones with great success although I mainly use spoons, don't know if they have enough action for a hootchy.BRS

Best of all u can simple make them my drilling a hole in the bottom of any flasher (hole location dependent on action you are seeking) and insert the herring teaser head pins.

Modified a few of my favourite flashers tonight and made one of these rigs ( just copied the gibbs one) It's crazy how Gibbs is using the red chovie head pins and cutting them and selling these setups for double the price of the same flasher without mod.
If I don't like how these work, I can just put a swivel back on the end and use them inline.
Here's a link if you want to know what the gibbs set up looks like.

http://www.gibbsdelta.com/farr-better-flasher

Consider like accessorizing...women have shoes,purses,jewellery ect...fishermen have fishing gear...sammy

It all depends on the outfit........

gibbs "farr better flasher" - never tried, just seemed like hassle - how often does the pin pull without a fish on the end?

Yes, they are a bit of a pain to deal with, but I have had great success with them.

The pin does not always release on smaller fish, but it sure does on anything over 15 pounds.

I like that they have 3 positions for setting the action of the flasher. When targeting big Chinook, I set it for slower action. Pair that with an anchovy on an 8' leader, and you are all set to go.

I also like that when the pin releases, the flasher slides up the line. You will often see it on the surface about half way to the fish. Good visual clue for other boats that something is going on and to keep away. Also, when the fish runs suddenly, you don't have the flasher holding it back to break the leader if it gets a sudden jolt from the fish.

I really like Captn Downriggers site for his explanation of the colours vs. depth.

I always use green or glow green when fishing the basement. Red up high.

You want to mix gold into the scene later like August is my understanding.

I have been playing around with black trimmed flashers.

All I know is I have way too many of them!!!!

My buddy comes fishing with me on my boat and likes to bring his own gear. He brings two red hot spot's with him (in case he looses one) one white hootchie with green stripe, and two chartreuse teaser heads (I always have bait on board). He always catches fish with his gear everytime he comes out with me. Anytime of the year this is all he brings.

I'm a self proclaimed tackle slut and have everything under the sun but only use a 1/4 of it. I'm sure there are many out there or on here with same problem:D.

My name is Don and I'm a fishing gear addict. I have been clean now for for 14 hours however that should change by noon today. LOL

H.E.H.

Back