Off to Tofino...any tips most appreciated

wildheart

I'm fairly new to the fishing scene having just purchased my first boat but do so love it! I've been out to Little Qualicum, Thrasher Rock and Pill Point with my 2 young uns but our success hasn't been too good to date. Understand there is a learning curve and we'll keep putting in our time but any spots to check out around Tofino would sure be welcome...hoping to see some coho coming in?

I would say your best bets are the offshore hotspots, like Portland Point, Hysan Bank, The Amphitheatre. You just have to pick your days, because of the weather, especially with young'uns.

At this time of year I would leave out of Ucluelet, as there is the Offshore spots like South Bank, Lighthouse Bank, South West Corner, and the Big Bank spots. Along with these the inside spots may be producing as well, perhaps Wya point, which has always been a great place for Springs.

Last year we went out Offshore from Tofino on Novemeber 30th and limited out 4 people on Springs and huge hooked nosed Coho.

Like I said you just have to pick your days!

I would say your best bets are the offshore hotspots, like Portland Point, Hysan Bank, The Amphitheatre. You just have to pick your days, because of the weather, especially with young'uns.

At this time of year I would leave out of Ucluelet, as there is the Offshore spots like South Bank, Lighthouse Bank, South West Corner, and the Big Bank spots. Along with these the inside spots may be producing as well, perhaps Wya point, which has always been a great place for Springs.

Last year we went out Offshore from Tofino on Novemeber 30th and limited out 4 people on Springs and huge hooked nosed Coho.

Like I said you just have to pick your days!

You don't have to go far this time of year if you are after Coho. Just turn right from the boat launch 5 minutes. We call it the pipeline, by the wooden markers. short leaders, top 40 of water, needle fish hoochies. If there not hot there, try Father Charles inlet.
Have fun.

You don't have to go far this time of year if you are after Coho. Just turn right from the boat launch 5 minutes. We call it the pipeline, by the wooden markers. short leaders, top 40 of water, needle fish hoochies. If there not hot there, try Father Charles inlet.
Have fun.

Back from Tofino and not much of anything happening on the inside waters. Fished off Bartlett, Vargas (Dick & Jane, Wilf Rock, Moser Pt.) and Stubbs and several other spots but came out empty, other than some bottom fish that we eventually started jigging for, out of shear frustration. Talked to some guides who reported the only fish being caught were 6 and 20 miles offshore. Guess we'll keep on trying...Renfrew for next week perhaps!

Wildheart- Did you get any action at all at thrasher rock or little qualicum was there any boats out there getting anything ?
I was thinking about going to little qualicum this weekend, I thought the coho would be there buy now .
Chris

The whole scenario is likely just about to change. The storm that's wandering this way out of the Pacific is one of the largest I've seen on the Radar and IR Images. Expect it to bring a generous amount of sky-water, starting anon. That will bring them a runnin' so we can expect things to get explosive all over up and down both Island coasts!

Get ready, It's a'comin'!!

Cheers,
Nog

Hi folks, I returned from bamfield on mon.Very slow, fished 3 hard days,didn't go outside though,4 fish only for 3 people.The store keeper said that she has never seen it this slow for this time of year.Desperate need of rain.Wild heart,You can always try Alberni inlet,it's like a lake.Also the prawning is pretty good in the inlet also.

thanks the runt

Once this weather calms down a bit, think I'll take to China Creek one more time...but with this system coming through, looks like it may have to wait till next week sometime. Hopefully with the rain, I'll get to report back some good action. As for last week at Thrasher Rock, were just a couple boats out and no one appeared to be seeing anything but seals and more seals. We had about 8 boats out at Little Qualicum and many jumpers but no one was catching anything. Some guys I had talked to had been out the day prior with the same poor results...I'm a believer and hopefully this rain will turn things on!

Wildheart was it too rough to go off shore. I have had good success in shore in Tofino, but usually in July / August. I find it to hit and miss in Septemnber. Off Ukee places like Wya point are good, but your best bet in my opinion is off shore. The banks are a year round nursery for fish. I have never had a bad day fishing offshore, only bad weather.

Better luck next time!

Hi Jaws3D...Since I had my boys with me (8 and 10) and the boat is only 18ft. (albeit is welded aluminum w/150hp), running out offshore for 10+ miles tends to put me off. With offshore chop and swell, the whole boat comes clear out of the water on each swell...took her out of Bamfield back in June with some buddies to go after some Halibut 15 miles offshore on the Banks and that was quite the ordeal...and surfing back for a newbie like me was pretty "white knuckling"...this past week in Tofino, we had a couple of days that were quite calm out there...perhaps we should have taken a run out...I'll definitely give it another go next time I'm out there...thanks for the great info...Cheers

Back