Motoring from Tofino to Tahsis

Murry

We have our boat moored in Tahsis and we're thinking of traveling down to Barkley Sound this June to try for some Sockeye. I was wondering if anybody has done the trip between Tofino and Nootka Sound before and if they could tell me about their experience? I also was hoping to find out how long it to lighthouse at Nookta Sound to Tofino. We'll be in a 315 Boston Whaler Conquest with twin 350.
Any advise, tips, or cautions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

We have our boat moored in Tahsis and we're thinking of traveling down to Barkley Sound this June to try for some Sockeye. I was wondering if anybody has done the trip between Tofino and Nootka Sound before and if they could tell me about their experience? I also was hoping to find out how long it to lighthouse at Nookta Sound to Tofino. We'll be in a 315 Boston Whaler Conquest with twin 350.

Thanks in advance.
Tofino is still a good 3 hours from the sockeye fishery deeper in the sound. It's unprotected water too until you tuck into the sound south of Ucluelet which in June is liable to be lumpy. If you're going to do it go stay in the sound somewhere.

Tofino is still a good 3 hours from the sockeye fishery deeper in the sound. It's unprotected water too until you tuck into the sound south of Ucluelet which in June is liable to be lumpy. If you're going to do it go stay in the sound somewhere.
Yes will be traveling down toward the Canal and staying in the Canal while fishing. Perhaps mooring in San Mateo then traveling into the Canal to fish. With the 315, we easily can stay on the water for 4 or 5 days. I had planned on filling fuel in Tofino or Ucluelet on the way from Nootka and then fueling again at Ucluelet or Tofino before we headed back to Tahsis. I think we should have enough fuel to fish for a couple of days while staying in the sound. I was just wondering how long it would take to get to Tofino or Ucluelet. In addition it will definitely be weather dependent. Would only go if the the forecast was good for the next 4 or 5 days. At this point its only an idea, looking for feedback to see if it would be a viable trip. Don't want to do something stupid. Need something to dream about during the cold cold months until we can get out in March to go prawning.
Thanks for the input. All input, positive and negative is really appreciated.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
As we all know, everything is probably doable in moderation. Now having said that, I will relate a bit of a story that happened in those exact waters a few years ago.....
A long-time friend from Seattle used to fish with us at Critter Cove. He's got LOTS of money, and had recently bought a nice brand new shiny Tiara of about 35 ft in length. He and his 2 fishing colleagues headed out from Seattle, motored along, and decided to overnight in Tofino. The way up from Tofino towards Estevan Pt is known to have some ugly water every now and then, but they are very experienced mariners with good solid equipment and figured it would be Ok to continue on their trip. By the time they finally got to Critter, they were absolutely white with the terror they had been through. They all figured that they were done for, and would never make it to their destination. But some combination of skill, luck, and good equipment got them through. For the remainder of that trip, they never ventured out past the lighthouse at Nootka. They then arranged to fly home and left the Tiara at Critter, hired a skipper and crew to fly back to Critter to pick up the Tiara and then motor it back to Seattle where it was then immediately sold. Next season, my friends showed up with a nice new 23 ft Grady Gulfstream which they towed up behind their equally new F350. They felt more comfortable that way. Maybe not quite as adventuresome, but a lot more fun and relaxing. Names have been omitted to protect the "almost victims"!!!
That was early to mid July. Normally the weather is somewhat more stable then that it is in June when you want to travel. June of course can have extremely unsettled weather systems with lots of wind. Having flexible dates is a real bonus.

Last edited:
Tahsis to Nootka Light 21NM
Nootka Light to Estevan 14NM
Estevan to Cape Beale 63NM
Cape Beale to Port Alberni 36NM

70 Nautical miles of that voyage would be unprotected open ocean. I typically calculate 20 knots in my 305 conquest so 4 hours outside. I pick my weather going each way (light winds) Pounding into it would slow the voyage and make it uncomfortable. The worst being at Estevan most likely with being on the South edge of West Coast North forecast.
That all being said, you could be waiting a week or 2 for the correct weather window. I never commit to going a certain day, always leaving flexibility in case of inclement weather

Last edited:
I’ve done the trip commercially in July/August. Definitely would prefer a high pressure ridge and a several day weather window to do the run, fish and run back, so you aren’t rushed. I’m not sure about June but in the summer the winds blow up in the afternoon and you will want to run the early hours. You have the right boat for it, hope you have autopilot too for easier navigation in fog.

I don’t recall about estevan pt but if you are going around a cape give her a multiple mile berth, 5 miles? Might be safe to avoid the waves created from the mix. Ask a pro the correct distance.

Study the charts and plan which route you will take in advance. Getting into Tofino can be a little tricky depending what route you take. I’d go in there for lunch, or overnighter, if you can to break up the trip unless the weather is perfect then I’d just pin it to win it and get to Ukee.

We went the opposite way Sidney to Port alberni in June in a conquest 285 a couple of years ago and it was pretty bad weather. Probably shouldn’t have gone but owner had a small window. Don’t be like my buddy, have a go / no go weather minimum and don’t be fixated on dates, you can always go next year or haul by trailer.

Enjoy it is some amazing coast line.

I’ve done the trip commercially in July/August. Definitely would prefer a high pressure ridge and a several day weather window to do the run, fish and run back, so you aren’t rushed. I’m not sure about June but in the summer the winds blow up in the afternoon and you will want to run the early hours. You have the right boat for it, hope you have autopilot too for easier navigation in fog.

I don’t recall about estevan pt but if you are going around a cape give her a multiple mile berth, 5 miles? Might be safe to avoid the waves created from the mix. Ask a pro the correct distance.

Study the charts and plan which route you will take in advance. Getting into Tofino can be a little tricky depending what route you take. I’d go in there for lunch, or overnighter, if you can to break up the trip unless the weather is perfect then I’d just pin it to win it and get to Ukee.

We went the opposite way Sidney to Port alberni in June in a conquest 285 a couple of years ago and it was pretty bad weather. Probably shouldn’t have gone but owner had a small window. Don’t be like my buddy, have a go / no go weather minimum and don’t be fixated on dates, you can always go next year or haul by trailer.

Enjoy it is some amazing coast line.
That is not good advice, if it's nasty 1 mile off, wait till you're 5 miles off

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221224-151038_Samsung capture.jpg
    Screenshot_20221224-151038_Samsung capture.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 61
My advice do it!
Take all precautions as suggested. Reading this bought me back to our July 1993 circumnavigation of Vancouver Island (We still enjoy use of the same 1991 Doral 25.5 Sunbridge, even towed it down to Cabo and did the sea of Cortez) I reread the 1993 logbook and what stood out was Estevan point, noted was the elusion of giving a wide berth but getting to close, check and double check your charts, reckoning and GPS. We stopped in at Hot Springs cove and Tofino giving us the option of the more sheltered back waters enroute to Tofino. Once in Ukee waters we felt we were home,(Used to keep the boat in Ukee, commute from Burnaby) the typical swells and conditions are similar to what you would encounter offshore from Nootka on a safe day, my folks had a home float home in Esperanza inlet for many years, stories of unfortunate souls and foolish souls will continue. Based on the log we left Rosa Island and made 3 legs in one day the times and conditions, distance are noted in the attached photo, fuel is for a 7.4 liter Bravo 3 Oh the good old days.... . Leave the trip open ended, travel when safe, enjoy! Oh and save us some socks..

Attachments

• IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 112
He's not going to get anywhere close to cape if he's headed to the inside. The broken islands are a lovely cruise.

Basically 100 miles to the entrance to Ukee. If you can average 20 mph that would take 5 hours. Usually that time of year it's N NW winds and a 20 - 30 is typical. Close to 30 they start blowing off the tops of the rollers depending on current. I wpuld stay offshore enough to not be in the surfline. Screenshot_20221224-235803_Boating.jpgScreenshot_20221224-235829_Boating.jpg

Once your into the broken island group, you can cruise through the islands and find calm weather usually. Places to anchor. Beautiful ride through there.

Radar is a must.

Guiding in Nootka for the last couple decades the water on the northwest side of estevan point-Nootka sound side- has incredibly dangerous currents and water. On the charts this is labeled by the explosives or ammo dump.
I’ve made the run out of Nootka with flat calm waters but once I get out there to the dump the water can switch very quickly due to the many reefs and currents. Which can make the water very large very quickly!! My advice is go way around estevan point.

My advice do it!
Take all precautions as suggested. Reading this bought me back to our July 1993 circumnavigation of Vancouver Island (We still enjoy use of the same 1991 Doral 25.5 Sunbridge, even towed it down to Cabo and did the sea of Cortez) I reread the 1993 logbook and what stood out was Estevan point, noted was the elusion of giving a wide berth but getting to close, check and double check your charts, reckoning and GPS. We stopped in at Hot Springs cove and Tofino giving us the option of the more sheltered back waters enroute to Tofino. Once in Ukee waters we felt we were home,(Used to keep the boat in Ukee, commute from Burnaby) the typical swells and conditions are similar to what you would encounter offshore from Nootka on a safe day, my folks had a home float home in Esperanza inlet for many years, stories of unfortunate souls and foolish souls will continue. Based on the log we left Rosa Island and made 3 legs in one day the times and conditions, distance are noted in the attached photo, fuel is for a 7.4 liter Bravo 3 Oh the good old days.... . Leave the trip open ended, travel when safe, enjoy! Oh and save us some socks..
Wicked log! 60 cents a litre for remote fuel, highway robbery!! Nice inspiration for those of us who can and should circumnavigate the island!

Commercial fished that area for many years.
Go on a westerly ( south easters are just too unpredictable IMO ), leave early in the morning ( daybreak ).
Stay far enough offshore to get out of the surf created by waves rebounding from shore. A mile or two is plenty.
Don't be afraid to duck in and take the inside route to Tofino if it looks dicey. A radar and decent plotter would be helpful for this.
Most guys get into trouble because they refuse to pull the throttle back and go at the pace the weather is dictating. There is no shame in going slow.
If all your equipment is in good order and you don't go too heavy on the throttle you will be fine.
I am not sure why you would go all that way for sox when you have a terrific spring fishery at your doorstep though.

Thanks in advance.
Ran my 315 Conquest from Vancouver to Ukee / Tofino and back a half dozen times. Never been past Tofino in it. From Tofino to Barkley is no issue as long as the weather looks 'reasonable' on the forecast. Holds 291 gallons and gets 1.5 mpg with the I6 350 VRods between 28-34mph.

You'll have no issues with range... as for weather from Tahsis to Tofino I can't help you out... but from Tuff down you should be comfortable as long as you plan with the weather reports.

Like @onefish said: "pull the throttle back and go at the pace the weather is dictating. There is no shame in going slow."

Exactly. Blowing 20 is the norm, just makes the roller a bit taller. You'll go with it going south usually that time of year. No need to blow right off the roller because your in a hurry. 18-22 mph is usually the norm unless you have great weather. Easy does it. Stay off the surf line by a couple miles

Thanks everybody for your input. It really gives me something to think about.
Yes we have great spring fishing at a doorstep and we take advantage of it from June to September.
I just want a bit of adventure and a change of pace. Something different. We moved up from a 26 footer to 31.5 footer and thought we do a bit of cruising.
I really appreciate all the comments and input. If we go, we definitely been warned! Never thought it would have been that much of an 'adventure'. We've gone north to Kyuquot in the 26footer and never really had that much of an issue. Mind you, we're pretty much wimps (or smart LOL ), we only travel/fish in good conditions. I'm pretty much done with being thrown around by the waves. Done it in the past and try to avoid it now. With having a place in Tahsis, we only fish when the conditions are favourable. Unlike the guides in our area that have to fish even when its really snotty out there. Rainy and blowing conditions = Netflix day.... :)
Thanks again to everybody who's chimed into the conversation, its really given me something to think about.

Thanks everybody for your input. It really gives me something to think about.
Yes we have great spring fishing at a doorstep and we take advantage of it from June to September.
I just want a bit of adventure and a change of pace. Something different. We moved up from a 26 footer to 31.5 footer and thought we do a bit of cruising.
I really appreciate all the comments and input. If we go, we definitely been warned! Never thought it would have been that much of an 'adventure'. We've gone north to Kyuquot in the 26footer and never really had that much of an issue. Mind you, we're pretty much wimps (or smart LOL ), we only travel/fish in good conditions. I'm pretty much done with being thrown around by the waves. Done it in the past and try to avoid it now. With having a place in Tahsis, we only fish when the conditions are favourable. Unlike the guides in our area that have to fish even when its really snotty out there. Rainy and blowing conditions = Netflix day.... :)
Thanks again to everybody who's chimed into the conversation, its really given me something to think about.
If you do it pls chronicle the journey. I’d love to read about it hour by hour.

If you do it pls chronicle the journey. I’d love to read about it hour by hour.
We will for sure. We're thinking we may do the trip next year. This will the first year with the boat and we're thinking that getting a year experience with the boat might be a good idea before heading off down the coast.

We will for sure. We're thinking we may do the trip next year. This will the first year with the boat and we're thinking that getting a year experience with the boat might be a good idea before heading off down the coast.
That boat is a machine, we run all over the west coast. I've had my 305 out in 40 knots plus, didn't miss a beat and had no concerns other than getting in late and washing the salt off. I would not hesitate to go anywhere and have a safe 300NM range, pick your weather, stop in hot springs cove for a night, you won't regret it. But yes do take the time to figure the boat out a bit first, It's been 3 years and we are still making things better. They don't call em the unsinkable legend for no reason. I'm assuming you are running Eco Enertia props? 16x19p? or 16 x17p? You'll have the Tuna bug before you know it!

Back