New to Saltwater/Salmon. Please help.

BobNewton

Hello all!

I know this gets asked a lot. However I want to ask again for the opportunity of discussion.

I live in the interior and purchased a new to me 25' cruiser set up for salmon. I intend on using it for pleasure/fishing on the appropriate interior lakes as well as my first adventures into salt water (I've spent a lot time on the east coast water, however I was very young). My intentions are getting familiar with the boat on the lakes first. But hoping to get into the salt sooner than later. I have owned several vessels in the past, nothing this big however.

When I venture to the salt water the first few times. I have some more experienced skippers I intend to bring along.

At this point I'm looking for all suggestions as far trip planning. I'm open to all suggestions, however primarily looking for some easier shorter trips. Launching from the mainland and fishing near Van, Bowen, Howe sound etc.... somewhere else?

Specifics would include:
1) Which ramp, and where I would be traveling to from there?
2) Times of year offers best chances of success?
3) Any other resources I can be pointed towards to continue my research?
4) Weather apps... everywhere I've read so far this is a common trend of advice! What sources are you using? What are you looking for?
5) And any advice anyone would like to share with me, either safety related, fishing related or anything else leading to a fun/safe day on the chuck.

Thanks for reading! I'll continue my leg work in research, any other input is greatly appreciated!

1-where do you live?

2-January-December depending where you live

3-you're looking at it there is more and better information on this forum than you could imagine just start reading

4-Big Wave Dave, Windy TV

5-wear a PFD at all times

1-where do you live?

2-January-December depending where you live

3-you're looking at it there is more and better information on this forum than you could imagine just start reading

4-Big Wave Dave, Windy TV

5-wear a PFD at all times
Thanks for the reply! I live in Princeton, it seems all access would be going through the lower mainland. Either launching there, up the sunshine, or across to the island(s).

I’ll certainly keep reading. It’s all so daunting at this point. So many opportunities spread across such a big area.

Hello all!

I know this gets asked a lot. However I want to ask again for the opportunity of discussion.

I live in the interior and purchased a new to me 25' cruiser set up for salmon. I intend on using it for pleasure/fishing on the appropriate interior lakes as well as my first adventures into salt water (I've spent a lot time on the east coast water, however I was very young). My intentions are getting familiar with the boat on the lakes first. But hoping to get into the salt sooner than later. I have owned several vessels in the past, nothing this big however.

When I venture to the salt water the first few times. I have some more experienced skippers I intend to bring along.

At this point I'm looking for all suggestions as far trip planning. I'm open to all suggestions, however primarily looking for some easier shorter trips. Launching from the mainland and fishing near Van, Bowen, Howe sound etc.... somewhere else?

Specifics would include:
1) Which ramp, and where I would be traveling to from there?
2) Times of year offers best chances of success?
3) Any other resources I can be pointed towards to continue my research?
4) Weather apps... everywhere I've read so far this is a common trend of advice! What sources are you using? What are you looking for?
5) And any advice anyone would like to share with me, either safety related, fishing related or anything else leading to a fun/safe day on the chuck.

Thanks for reading! I'll continue my leg work in research, any other input is greatly appreciated!
Vanier park launch parking and two ramps. aug 20th to Oct 7.

Pack extra cannon balls extra clips. As to where to fish ill pm you dont want to give away the spots.

Hey Bob. Vancouver has a few ramps. Vanier downtown or Macdonald Beach in Richmond are my favs depending on where I'm fishing. You can catch salmon year round in Vancouver basically. The time of year will dictate where you fish and whether you will be able to keep fish. Lots of locations on the island as well that you could do well with. I would use the archived fishing report section on the fish forum to research. Pick a time of year and then see what past reports say. The best way to learn is to get out there and do it.

As for wind and safety. I use windy and the fish weather apps along with the environment canada site. There is lots of info on this forum about what kind of conditions you will get with different wind patterns. In this regard start slow and work your way up. Lots of courses and info online as well.

Thanks Skins!

Will start thumbing through the reports! I just need to get out there and see what’s what. I’m sure another 100 questions will arise at that point. Lol.

Info on lures seems rather straight forward. Have a pile of flashers. Just need to collect some specific presentations.

I will also need to purchase a rod/reel for this use. Any suggestions on a budget friendly setup? I see half mooching setup and half level winds. Any particular direction I should lean as far as rods go?

If you're trying to catch and retain salmon I wouldn't bother with Vancouver or Howe Sound at all. In the winter months it CAN be productive but can also turn right off. You need a pretty intimate knowledge of the areas fished and know when to make a move which could be a 45 minute run in any direction. I "fish" all winter but that consists of waiting for the right days. I'm not sure if you're up on the new regs but most of the inside gets shut down from April to July and the most productive and accessible areas by the Fraser are closed until Sept 1st. If it were me I'd either plan a very specific trip for downtown Vancouver for Sept 1st, launch at vanier park and fish the North Arm, Bell, South Arm etc. Or just go to the West Coast and fish your brains out from June to Sept.

Thanks Skins!

Will start thumbing through the reports! I just need to get out there and see what’s what. I’m sure another 100 questions will arise at that point. Lol.

Info on lures seems rather straight forward. Have a pile of flashers. Just need to collect some specific presentations.

I will also need to purchase a rod/reel for this use. Any suggestions on a budget friendly setup? I see half mooching setup and half level winds. Any particular direction I should lean as far as rods go?
You can get a Daiwa rod and mooching reel for around $120. Load yourself up witqh 3.5" coyote green/nickel and. black white. Also 3.5" green / Irish cream from the other brands. Irish cream is a favorite of mine and can give you the edge. Use 30lbs test. Hootchies get pink clear army truck and white glow. 40lbs test and get 4/0 gammies and two hooks I can show you how to tie them. Use 28-32" lengths for the hootchies.

Flashers herring aid, black white, blue (gives you an edge works well near the fraser). Chartreuse or green in there too.

Herring anchovy 6 feet leaders with treble and stinger hook. Again I can show you how to tie these. 30lbs in a pinch but do 40lbs.

Mainline braid 80lbs minimum tuffline walmart. Then 50 foot top shot 30lbs. Change out the topshot after a big size spring. This stretches and keeps the hook in the fishes mouth. Anything less than 30lbs doesn't work as it twists up on you.

If you don't have the colour flashers as mentioned above strip the old tape off and slap on a different colour plastic tape is widely available & cheap (as are spray bombs) don't be afraid to experiment.

If you're trying to catch and retain salmon I wouldn't bother with Vancouver or Howe Sound at all. In the winter months it CAN be productive but can also turn right off. You need a pretty intimate knowledge of the areas fished and know when to make a move which could be a 45 minute run in any direction. I "fish" all winter but that consists of waiting for the right days. I'm not sure if you're up on the new regs but most of the inside gets shut down from April to July and the most productive and accessible areas by the Fraser are closed until Sept 1st. If it were me I'd either plan a very specific trip for downtown Vancouver for Sept 1st, launch at vanier park and fish the North Arm, Bell, South Arm etc. Or just go to the West Coast and fish your brains out from June to Sept.
Awesome info! Thanks!

I'm certainly open to a nice long trip to the west side of the island! Will work on seeing what I can plan.

However as most can relate to some degree I'm sure, time and money is always a factor. Looking for some good options for more day/dayish trips as well. Mainland seems to be more reasonable as far as getting out a few extra times a year.

We have some friends in Victoria. I see Banfield offering lots of opportunities, is there any recommended fishing around Port Renfrew? Significantly closer to a Victoria home base.

You can get a Daiwa rod and mooching reel for around $120. Load yourself up witqh 3.5" coyote green/nickel and. black white. Also 3.5" green / Irish cream from the other brands. Irish cream is a favorite of mine and can give you the edge. Use 30lbs test. Hootchies get pink clear army truck and white glow. 40lbs test and get 4/0 gammies and two hooks I can show you how to tie them. Use 28-32" lengths for the hootchies.

Flashers herring aid, black white, blue (gives you an edge works well near the fraser). Chartreuse or green in there too.

Herring anchovy 6 feet leaders with treble and stinger hook. Again I can show you how to tie these. 30lbs in a pinch but do 40lbs.

Mainline braid 80lbs minimum tuffline walmart. Then 50 foot top shot 30lbs. Change out the topshot after a big size spring. This stretches and keeps the hook in the fishes mouth. Anything less than 30lbs doesn't work as it twists up on you.
Thanks!

I have a ton more questions, we can sort that out offline!

Thanks!

I have a ton more questions, we can sort that out offline!
Regarding the post you quoted here. Good advice. If I may add one thing - if you are just starting out, pick one lure type - spoons, hootchies, or bait. All will work. Pick one and learn that type. Better to be proficient with one approach than mediocre at several. Good luck!

Regarding the post you quoted here. Good advice. If I may add one thing - if you are just starting out, pick one lure type - spoons, hootchies, or bait. All will work. Pick one and learn that type. Better to be proficient with one approach than mediocre at several. Good luck!
Makes sense! Certainly cheaper and easier off the start to situate myself with one or the other!

Thanks Brian!

Back