Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Hey Dennis we will be at Moutcha Bay starting on Friday for four days...what is the internet set up there that you are on? And do cell phones work there or is there a landline at Moutcha Bay? Normally I would be happy to be away from the phone but my wife is due in 3.5 weeks so I would like there to be some way to get a hold of me just in case...

Thanks

You know it was a heavy day fishing.

"Monaro21

Hey Dennis we will be at Moutcha Bay starting on Friday for four days...what is the internet set up there that you are on? And do cell phones work there or is there a landline at Moutcha Bay? "

Wireless under Moutcha Bay Guest..........no phones but they do have Sat phone if really needed.

"Island Fish Lifter What boat are you in? "

holmes has the pic

Went out this evening, checked the crab trap, nothing but a 2 1/2ft dog fish, had a 3ft a couple days ago in a different area. Son did pick up one 12lb spring but the girls powered out. Son got to leave tomorrow so will be up at 4:30am and fish the inside for a few hrs. and we are leaving on the 9th.

Attachments

• AJ.jpg
    AJ.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Gwen.jpg
    Gwen.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 77
I am heading up for four days on Wed. with wife and 3 year old. What colors seem to be the most productive? Spoons or bait? I will be in my smaller boat so that being said I will not be able to go out the outside. Last year I was in the Hoise Point area and Critter cove area. Did well but had to grind for them. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Thanks

I got back on Friday afternoon. Almost all my fish were caught on chovies, and the majority were caught within the first 5 hours in the morning. I used the bulletroll teaser heads in basically anything chrome and glow for the early mornings. It seemed to me that fish were starting to move further inside when I left as there were more fish being picked up around hisnit and argonaut in the afternoons. San Carlos to beer can were still the morning ticket for me.

Thanks for the info Dennis, I can't wait to get up there.

Yes I am pushing it a bit with the baby but we have lots of family around and Victoria is not too far away if I have to rush home. Plus it is our second, isn't that supposed to be easier haha.

We were in Nootka mostly fishing inside for the days leading up to the long weekend - when using anchovy our boat always seemed to be doing average when everyone else seemed to be limiting out - when fishing was average for others it was downright poor for us. WE had already switched to braided line so that wasn't the problem. Then we noticed that most people using a teaser head and anchovies were not using a trailing hook where over the past few years we were and had been increasing the size of the trailing hook up to a #4. To make a long sad story short - we cut off the trailing hook and just used a treble (with a green/chrome teaser with gold mylar fish scale pattern) - got our limit and lots more fun on our final day!

Wet Spot

We had a great time up there last week. The fish are shallow in the morning (27' worked for us), then down to around 45' later in the morning. Glow cuttle fish hootchie, chovies and Mildred or Watermelon spoons were great too. We stayed out of the pack, and fished Hoiss Point and back towards Moutcha. Got a 38# at 11.30am on a Mildred at 44' near Princess Royal Point on our way home. I think the fish are everywhere, just be on your game when the rod tip starts dipping.
Moutcha Bay Resort was fantastic. They have WiFi there, so if you want to call home, you could either use their satellite phone, or I used Skype in my iPhone and kept in touch with home that way. Just go to the reception area there, and ask what is working. They want you to catch fish and come back again next year, just like any of the other resorts out there. The dock is safe, and we left all our gear on boat at night.
Nootka absolutely rocks!!!

We are really looking forward to checking out Moutcha Bay, the pictures look great. Using Skype on the iPhone is perfect for me on wifi, that will make my wife happy for sure. We normally fish anchovy but we will have a variety of options with us in case something else is hot. I am definately counting the days!

We have tried anchovies, spoons, plugs, apex & cut plug etc but found for us the white/light green hoochie worked for us the best. I hear on the radio others are using the first ones mentioned and are getting fish but the hoochies worked best for us, inside and outside. For halibut nothing beat a spreader bar, 1 1/2 to 2lb ball, salmon belly & a herring, some of the party also used a green hoochie over the belly & herring. Twin line coming off the spreader bar with front circle hook and a treble hook at the rear.

Don't know how fishing is going to be in the next few days as there are as of now 13 commercial gillneters sitting in Tlupana Inlet between Nesook Bay & Moutcha / Head Bay since yesterday waiting for an opening............I'm guessing.

Son & two gran daughters left today at 11:00am after 1 1/2 days of fishing, they went home with 3 halibut & 3 springs, springs we from the "wall" area at 45ft. We went out late this afternoon, wife picked up a nice silver 15lb spring.

Dennis

You mentioned that the commercial boats are sitting waiting. Does anyone know when they may be starting their fishing? I am arriving at Moutcha on Thursday. Alot later than I wanted to arrive.

You mentioned that the commercial boats are sitting waiting. Does anyone know when they may be starting their fishing? I am arriving at Moutcha on Thursday. Alot later than I wanted to arrive.

If they open when you are there, find out where their outer boundary is and fish there the next morning. Fresh fish are arriving all the time. Last time I was there, I fished Hoiss right after an opening and got a doubleheader. Also, unlike seines, gillnets don't catch everything. Many fish will see the mesh even at night and go around and others will go under

yo, 3 man crew just back from 5 days in nootka area, I tried something different, the fleet was along the Wall and San Carlos, we trolled across channel from island in midddle just off san carlos, back and forth, over towards hoiss pt. We arrived in late afternoon, and got 5 springs, all between 8 and 9pm, in middle of channel.. Watch for the jumpers. same thing last night, someone on radio was moaning of 3 hrs without a fish at the wall, I fueled in critter came out and did same cross channel sweeps, ... (815pm) 7 mins a fish on, 20 m ins later 2nd fish, caught bottom line 72 upper line 45. Caught my fish on white hoochies, and cut plugs. Did far better on hoochies than with chovies, but fuel dock said most everything working. Use a tomic pilcher plug outside and picked couple springs lurking at 100 ft, while hunting the flattie. Very good trip,

even got me a few of them hag fish, in mee prawn traps.....ugh........

was also pretty funny hearing young fella, yelling emergency on radio, dad where's the fish stick, we got 2 fish.....dad...where did u put the stick......

I also used green and white kitchen sink, irish creme, and purple haze coloured spoons. used 5 and 6 inch spoons out side, with uv haze flashers. kitchen worked better than irish...

Anybody have any recent reports for the Esperanza area and the 'highway' out that way?

3 buddies and I are heading up there for 5 days come this weekend. Appreciate any info.

Run Florocarbon leaders behind your flasher to your hootchie / anchovies. I run 50 pd, and it makes a huge difference when the fish are picky. The florocarbon leader is very stiff and throws lots of action over the soft Mono. Also, try running a 5/0 circle hook on your hootchie. You will rarely lose a fish.

Drewski

We left Moutcha Bay resort at 6:00am this morning, home in Chilliwack at 4:45pm had res on the 12:45pm ferry. When we came in yesterday afternoon, we counted 17 gillnetters still waiting and saw their lights this morning still sitting there...............it was time to leave. We picked up 1 hali yesterday, just a chicken but did good compared to others yesterday. Tally for this last 2 week trip was 7 springs, 3 coho & 4 halibut, we just pick & selected. Grandson came up for 4 1/2 days and he left with our fish + 4 springs, 4 coho & 2 halibut. Our youngest son and his two daughters came in for 1 1/2 days of fishing, they left with 3 springs & 3 halibut. Hound "Emma" our dog can't wait until we head back up next year, once filleted the salmon carcass was trimmed for all the little goodies which she gets mixed with rice.............she will KILL for salmon, the dish is usually so clean it could be put back into the cabinet with out washing.

Last few day, the wall was good, between Critters up to Hisnet Inlet & to Princess Royal Pt. has been good. The outside has been good also but you have to get OUTSIDE.

As posted before, all we used were hoochies, white/light green, 26" leader behind a silver with light green trim flasher. We tried others, they worked but we found this the best.

That's it for us over there this year but we will be back next year as we have done for the last 4 years. I would like to thank the staff at Moutcha Bay Resort for putting up with us and would highly recommend them to anyone who was thinking of looking for a place to fish from & stay at, which you can drive to, 43kms past Gold River.

One final thing, we left our campsite yesterday afternoon and parked beside the boat launch waiting for high water to get our boat out, staff pulled our boat out, again many thanks. While we were waiting a new party came in to launch. Small motor home with a 18/19ft behind. As we sat there having a WELL deserved beer, they started to back the boat into the water and about half way there he hit the brakes, there was a very loud crashing sound, as we looked over towards the sound and the crank was doing 90mph like a windmill, seems they released the safety chain, left the winch in neutral and when he hit the brakes.........................the boat decided to launch it's on the concrete ramp................hence the crashing sound.
No problem, two people pushing on the rear of the boat, one winching and the other backing up the motor home...........to cut this short........they did get it back on the trailer. It was an outboard with leg up and the leg didn't suffer any damage..................can't say the same for the transducer.........ouch!!!!............no problem we can still launch...............they start backing it down again only to find out maybe they should have waited a little longer for higher water......................no problem...............as the back of the motor home went into the salt water and then as it kept backing in, it's rear duallys we over 3/4 covered in salt water, the wife looked over at me and said "I'll have another beer, this could be a very enjoyable evening"...........so we each had another one and grinned as we watched the gong show.

Hope you new guys/gals coming up now & later have the luck and the good time we had.............we had a BLAST this year

Dennis & Sheila

Just to let everyone know the Gill netters start tonight in Nootka at 8:30 tonight until 0450 tomorrow morning and the same tomorrow night roughly north of a line from 3 finger bay across to the mouth of the Hisnit. Check out the fisheries notices-so I wouldn't plan on fishing north of that line tomorrow morning-might be real slooooow!!!!

Back