Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Looking for Helpfull Hints:

Would the area around Critter cove and Cougar Creek be alright fishing? Arriving on Thursday morn. I hear the Gill Netters have started, wondering if the fishing is usually good at this time when they have started?

Fish right up to where the gill nets start. Some of the springs will sense the nets and stay back, I like the little bay to the right of the Hisnet. Hoiss point;san carlos shore should all stay ok.

Anyone know if there are any commercial openings on the north end of Nootka Island and Eperanza Inlet?

Heading up there this weekend for a week on our annual trip.

Fished 5 days with family. Caught limits of springs with no problems and counted 52 fish too boat. Average size low 20's. No coho or offshore as first time with kids, but did get a sox, damn he would of been tasty. Anchovies with green flashers produced best for us, and then white hootchies, tried spoons on top, but nada. Great weather and 5 fabulous days of Mrs. Nootka was had by all. Now time to process.

Thanks for the report Tellyman. I am heading up Friday for 3 nights, can't wait. What depths were you finding them at? And any particular spots good for you?

Gill netting starts tonight at 0800pm (2000 hrs) until 0430 am Mon -same tues and possible opening wed evening. Everything north of 3 finger bay and the Hisnit essentially. Understand it has slowed things down considerably since last opening. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow-concentrating on the off-shore-any reports?

Gill netting starts tonight at 0800pm (2000 hrs) until 0430 am Mon -same tues and possible opening wed evening. Everything north of 3 finger bay and the Hisnit essentially. Understand it has slowed things down considerably since last opening. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow-concentrating on the off-shore-any reports?

Just got back. Fishing still on fire from Argonaut and the Wall up. Bonked 1, released 7, and lost 3 this morning. Fishing between the bay of pigs and Hoiss. At Bajo yesterday morning. 4 springs, 3 hatch ho's and a big ling. All on anchovie in purple haze head and purple haze hootchies.

Thanks for that-guess I better lay off the Scotch tonight-might have to get serious tomorrow-oh yeah-when did that ever affect anything LOL

Fished Nootka yesterday. Spring fishing was good with limits before lunch. Tomic 6'' spoons trolled FAST were the ticket for us. Thought we would try something different and did some bottom fishing on the inside on the way home and ended up with a couple 10lb. lings and a medium yellow eye. Not a bad day!

Just got back after 5 days at Nootka. All the reports are accurate. Loads of fish inside most days, and, some nice fish on the outside on days you can get out. Made it out to Bajo 3 days and fished inside most afternoons. I did notice a drop in activity after the gill netters were in (2 days tues/wed), but, it might have been the full moon as well. I heard the commies were coming back this week. Some of the fish inside were dark, but, I did hit one 24 that was fresh and very bright. Most were taken between 35-55 feet. The largest I caught (24 lbs) was at 35 feet off Three Bay Friday night at 5 pm. Most on green flashers (Betsy) and green heads/anchovies. I ran spoons, but, I didn't have much luck with them. I will tell you though; those off shore fish at Bajo are very aggressive. If feels like you've got a 30 lbs fish on when it comes up its 15/20. Got a spectacular 14 lb clipped coho at Bajo. Lots of small coho out there, so this one was an exception based on everything I was seeing. No coho on the inside for me, although people did say they found a few. Great trip and lots of good people in the Sound. Holmes, apologies we didn't get out.

I know this year has been on fire,typically does the inside start to drop of as the month goes on.I've never fished the area later in the season.I'm thinking about the Sept. long weekend

Drove the road yesterday and I thought it was in good shape for a logging road...I would not hesitate to use it again.

Just back from three days at Nootka. It was my first time there and I will definately be back, we loved it. Lots of fish the first day and a half, a little slower the second day and a half. Possibly due to the commercial opening but who knows. We fished a mix of inside and outside and although we did not get anything huge some of them were very feisty fish so tons of fun. Thanks for your help Holmes with the halibut tips for the area...without too much effort we ended up with three (although only one made it into the boat...long story). Anchovy in the morning and white or white and green hoochie's in the afternoon seemed to be good for us. A glow green spoon on the outside worked for that area.

Can't to go back, it is a great place.

Just got back from Nootka as well. Fishing inside was pretty good before the gillnetters came. We caught our 8 springs ranging from 16-23 #s on white hootchies between 40 - 60'.

I am trying to determine whether the Navionics chip in my Lowrance LCX 18C will cover the Nootka Sound area. It appears that I have a chip called: 13xg.13

The chip has detailed information for the area that I normally fish (Victoria to Port Renfrew). However when I use the cursor to move to Nootka Sound (or other areas outside of vcitoria to Port Renfrew) I don't get the same level of detail on the screen. Instead I get some very rudamentary mapping which is not suitable for navigation or fishing.

Two questions:

1. Does my chip cover Nootka Sound?

2. If so, how do I activate the actual detailed map for Nootka on my Lowrance LCX 18c?

Just back from 3 days at Rodgers. Had a great trip as per usual. Big thank you to Kevin and Doug and the crew at Rodgers.

Fished mostly offshore except the first day, when it was rough. Lots of sunshine, calm seas and fish! No huge Springs, but lots in the 15 to 25 pound range. Did hear of a 40 pounder the day before we arrived. Managed to get into some good halibut in hole we found. All in all a great trip!

Best depths were 45 to 85 with white hoochie, Captain Downriggins Matt's Harverster, 6 or 7 inch Tomic Plugs, 6 inch Tomic Spoon and the old standby a choive.

Back