Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Just for the record, the pursuit the cops were looking for wasnt me as I have been diligent about the regs. Anyway, fishing is a little slower on the inside, but Bajo has been good still. Today was a little bumpy with a south easter, left there before noon. Hali has been slower as well.

Just so everyone is aware it was not Island Fish lifters pursuit-I would have gone over and talked at him.In some ways it was nice to see the enforcement boys even if you don't like the regs. Be warned though- I know speed and this rigid hull inflatable can be on you faster than you can write or certainly clean a fish and if you thought DFO doesn't pay over-time this was at 8:45 Pm . Nuff said!!!

Fishing has been good in Nootka, grandson picked up another two outside yesterday, going to try for hali today, notice I said try.

Dennis

Attachments

• Ty 1st.jpg
    Ty 1st.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Ty 2nd.jpg
    Ty 2nd.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 71
Just so everyone is aware it was not Island Fish lifters pursuit-I would have gone over and talked at him.In some ways it was nice to see the enforcement boys even if you don't like the regs. Be warned though- I know speed and this rigid hull inflatable can be on you faster than you can write or certainly clean a fish and if you thought DFO doesn't pay over-time this was at 8:45 Pm . Nuff said!!!

Agreed. They have a way of showing up when you least expect them.

Looking to do a day trip from CR to Gold River and then run up to various spots within next 10 days. What is it like putting in at Gold River these days - any tide issues, any idea of cost, car security issues and anything else?

Any info would certainly be appreciated.

I went out a couple of days ago and launched at near low tide. Along the rock my sounder showed 12 feet of water the dock moves around a bit but its fine.

Launch fee was $10 paid to a rather friendly ramp attendant. There was 2 parking options I think along the road parking was $7 and in the gated area was a bit more. I believe the ramp attendant lives in a travel trailer in the gated parking area acting as security.

Enjoy your trip I sure did

I put a 24 in 3 days ago on a 3 ft and it was fine-just be careful the channel is not wide as you leave the dock -turn around carefully and realize that the channel is not that wide on the way out until past the float planes,

I have done two trips to Nootka since the 13th of July, the first for 5 nights and the second for 4 nights, and launched at Gold River both times. Launched my 18ft Boston Whaler Outrage an hour before low tide and had no problems. Have always parked in the gated area for $10.00 per day. The guys who manage the launch and parking are very good to deal with. I have been doing this for the past 5 years with no problems. I agree with Spring Fever that the channel is not that wide until you are past the float planes on the way out. Oh yes, fishing has been spectacular -:). Back up in three weeks. Sure hope the fish are still there.

Hello Nootka fishermen/women. Just got back from 15 days in Nootka and it was great. Arrived July 16th at dinner time and spent the next 5 hours bullshitting with everyone at Critter. I should have gone out fishing but the BS took precedence.

My main goal in the morning was to deliver a couple of packages to Nootka Lodge and Saavedra Island. So I was not going to set my alarm and try and sleep in. At 0445 the first bird went CHIRP and one eye opened, then another bird went PEEP and the other eye opened. Now that I’m awake why not go fishing. Into Critter to get coffee and a muffin from Carley and Tes (the girl from Australia) and away I go. My plan was to drop the gear in at San Carlos and troll my way to Nootka Island to drop off the stuff.

Absolutely nothing was setup as tooooo much BS the night before, so I set the rods and downriggers up. Then wondered what lures would be the ticket for my first morning in Nootka? It always takes a bit to feel like you’re dialed in when you first start fishing for the season. Why not tie on the lures that you know worked last year? Into the tackle box I go and grab the Codfather 6” spoon (double sided 639 with pilchard dots) and tie that on my ugly stick and down it goes to 50 feet. The next rod gets a Codfather 5” tubby plug (639 with pilchard dots) and down it goes to 60 feet.

By this time I’ve gone from the light at San Carlos to the point starting into the log dump bay, about 500 yards. Now it’s time to think about coffee and the muffin that was waiting on the table for me. So I step into the cab and start taking the lid off the thermos and I hear this noise (zzzzz, zzzzzz, zzzzzzz) and look back to see the plug rod getting hammered. By the time I get to the back of the boat the spoon rod is now getting hammered as well. So I leave both rods in the holders, point the boat straight out and get the downriggers up. Then hope the fish cooperate with me and not start zigzagging. Netted the first one (24#) and then 10 minutes latter netted the next one (26#). After getting both fish in the cooler and all the gear in order, I sat for a minute and thought WOW is that how Nootka was going to be this year? It was 0555 and I’m tagged out for the day.

After all that its set a course on my auto pilot for Nootka Island, I spent 2.5 hours trolling in a straight line in the middle of the channel. By the time I get to Nootka Island I hooked and release 4 springs looking for a Coho. Lots more BS as I drop off some stuff it’s time to head back to Critter to take the morning girls out fishing. There was 2 hours to kill so I put the gear in at Salter Point and was going to troll to Critter. Within 5 minutes bang, and three more fish on and released and I’m not even at Hoiss Pt.

Pack up blast to Critter and clean fish and pick up Carley and Tes for a troll. Down the gear goes at Camel Rock and bang, bang all kinds of fish there too. Pics to follow.

Next morning back to San Carlos with 20 other boats and the bite was on. Caught 2 - 20
pounders and released them, then hooked a bleeder and threw that one in the box. At one time at the bottom end before Beer-Can-Bay there were 8 boats with fish on at the same time including me. Now that’s a bite. About 0800 my plug rod went off with the tip bending into the water shaking the whole boat. So I turned towards the middle of the channel and for the next 40 minutes fought with this HOG. In the cooler it goes, all 35 pounds of him. Within an hour of that fish, two other people caught a 35 and 33 pounder in the same place.

Fast forward a couple of days to July 20th when I can finally take my new group offshore to the Bajo Reef. That night Catherine had the new lures (still wet) brought out to Critter from Tomic (thanks Cam) and I was like a kid in the candy store. After fishing all winter and spring in and around Nanaimo the hot lure was the Irish Cream. The problem with them for me in Nootka is they are TOOOOOO small. Remember what I always say, BIGGER LURES = BIGGER FISH. So with a sparkle in my eye I open the box and take out the new 6” Tomic Irish Cream. One model with the Pilchard spots, the other without spots. I asked Catherine not to put these lures out until I have a chance to test them and give them the stamp of approval or not.

Down the three rods go, one on each downrigger with the following on.
5” Codfather Tubby plug 639 with dots to 60 feet.
6” Irish Cream with dots to 50 feet.
6” Codfather 639 spoon with spots to 40 feet.

Within the first 3 hours 12 springs to the boat. 10 fish on the Irish Cream spoon. 2 fish on the plug and 9 coho on the top rod with the 639 spoon.

We finished at 1700 hrs with 25 springs in total with 20 on the new spoon. We kept 10 springs; the biggest fish was 31 pounds on the plug. So when I got back to Critter my first stop was in the office to see Catherine and let her know the new spoon is on fire and to put it on the shelf. Two boat loads of fishermen (Go Fish, and Green Monster) were standing behind me when I said to put the lures out and they snapped up a dozen. The next day both boats went out to the reef and caught a couple dozen fish each on the new spoon.

I stopped at Pacific Net & Twine and talked to Rob and he is going to get some in along with doing up a new spoon. The Mike Pilchard with the back painted Glow/UV. This spoon will be very hot as every fish we caught on the reef last week was full of BIG Pilchard. So when in Rome use the same things the fish are eating.

Dane from Harbor Chandler has reordered these spoons a couple of times and can’t keep them in stock so you might want to get him to put a couple aside for you to try.

One July 27th we headed out to the Bajo Reef and made one pass from the bottom end to the top at the Horseshoe. We caught 3 springs around 20# and I decided to head offshore to the Highway looking for something BIG. On the way out I could see a few boats way off in the distance. They turned out to be commercial trollers as we got closer. They were all in a direct line right on the Highway trolling North/South. After looking at my screen I could see 20 feet off the bottom was loaded with BIG fish about 30 feet thick. So down the line goes until it hit the bottom, I came up a couple of feet and locked it in. The counter on the downrigger read 400 even; yes that’s right 400 feet. Within 2 minutes BANG fish on. We spent two hours catching one after the other until my guests arms could not reel in another fish. If you’re going to try fishing deep you will need at least a 15# ball, I’m using a 20# to keep the angle around 25 degrees.

Anyway sorry for the long winded post but after 3 weeks with no phones, email or internet I’m trying to catch up. Back to Nootka in the morning until Aug 30th, so good luck fishing gang.

HPIM0531.jpg

HPIM0532.jpg

HPIM0535.jpg

HPIM0539.jpg

A few pics from my HDS 10 and the structure scan. No wonder you can catch 2 dozen fish in a day with all those springs on the screen.

FishfinderpicsJuly26023.jpg

FishfinderpicsJuly26010.jpg

FishfinderpicsJuly26025.jpg

FishfinderpicsJuly26026.jpg

Nice pictures Father, starting to get pumped. See you up there on the 11th. Hows the new cook?

We are hali'd out, 3 people and six hali. Below is a community hali, caught by wife "Sheila" this morning, brought part way up by me and landed by our grandson "Tyler" tipped the scales at 65lb. Second pic is after the Pro 2300 vacuum sealer got finished with it.

Dennis

Attachments

• 65lb hali.jpg
    65lb hali.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 65lb hali after.jpg
    65lb hali after.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 171
Great report and pics CF. Looks like the trip of a life-time. or at least for the year.

Nice Hali there as well directmule. Gets the blood flowing for sure.

Nice report CF. Looks like the inside is pretty hot. Headed up Aug 8 for 5 days. Hope it holds out.

Back