Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Got back yesterday. Fishing was good on the inside, seemed like it was starting to get a bit hotter as I left. Still not seeing much for size coming into the docks at Cougar, not many over 25 with a few 30's kicking around. All my fish were on chovies, but i've heard lots of talk around the casper hootch and those pilchard spoons tho. Early morning is defiantly the key, 4 days in a row I had a fish or 2 on within 5 min of starting my troll! Headed back today if anyone wants to say hi i'm in a yellow 16 foot double eagle.

cheers

Goldy 2011...what can I guy say.."unbelievable".. Boated around 75 plus springs..there was as many fish to be had as a guy wanted or not wanted to catch.... The last 3 morning basically fished the inside for the dawn bite only had breaky & headed out to play on the outside..Got a bunch of springs out there... Fishing on the dawn bite was so crazy at one point we were on a pod of springs that you would get 2 or 3 double headers a morning...a friend of mine cut plugging had a thriple header..just crazy. I had to bark at my buddies to get off there butt and grab a rod...I'm tired.. :D never had to do that before
Now that's fishing ..tried to remember any other trip like this one.. Best one maybe closet would be a WCR Charlotte trip or North king Lodge trips or cutt plugging the rock pile outside of Toffino late 80's early 90's before that fishery disappered..

Fished the lighthouse one late morning/afternoon springs and cohoes were fairly plentiful..the last two days fish Bajo great spring fishing, bottem fish and cohoes... Saw Islander fish lifter on the Sat.out there..looked plenty busy hauling in some nice spring..Saw what I believe was my first Blue Shark-perhaps a 6fter cruising under the surface...If you can get out to Nootka this season..got one word to say "Go" ....wish I could get in there a second trip :)

Derby, what were you dragging? How was weather off shore?

North king Anchovy's 51/2-6in and some 6in NK chovies- Oki Kentic Flashers .... UV or 602 kripple heads

Off-shore friday was alright ..Sat it layed down to a sheet of glass....very nice :)

Fishing outside..they were biting just about anything you throw out their...hoochie, coyotoes, glow mini turds and large turds on the bottem ...picked up a 5 nice Springs around 30lb mark dragging the bottem...:)

Derby, Thanks. Very helpful. Hopefully those 30's have put on a few lbs by the 8th of August when I head up !!!

hey guys.

LAST minute decision for this coming weekend... we are heading to gold river for our first time :S

Can anyone point us in the direction of a couple spots to try for springs? Only have a 17ft double eagle, so wont be heading offshore by any means.. clearly its on fire, but ANY help with location is appreciated :)

Where you staying? Just about every point or deep wall... Critter Cove has some good accomadations and friendly staff and the only place for fuel..your boat will work just fine on the inside

I know of people that do quite well cut plugging up there...just need to watch out for the down rigger guys in traffic..I believe there is some place with less traffic that will allow you todo this without much problem ...:)

Tips on areas and forcast.

I am visiting Nootka Sound from august 11-15. I will taking my wife and 3 year old, (family trip). WE are staying at Moutcha Bay, can anyone possibly give me info on how far out I would have to venture out on those dates aprox. What color of teasers are used up in that area, as I am used to using different colors in Victoria and Sidney. Thanks for any help. Also will the fishing still be as good as it sounds now? I was there last year 22-25 July and was good.

By that time the fishing will be mostly inside. I can't recommend teaser heads because I ussualy run spoons or hootchies. The fishing should be still allright on those dates.

Mike

I usually use greenish or blue teaser heads as a general rule but over the last 20years or so around mid august if I feel they aren't working I switch immediatly to red and I find that they will consistantly outfish the green for the rest of the year. I have fished Nootka for 15 years on a regular basis and the other tip I find helpful is if you aren't catching fish and others are on chovies your leader is probably too short-while 5-6 ft is good off-shore -once the fish are well inside I start heading to 7 and 8 and perhaps no flasher or a dummy or a Kone Zone. My 2 cents!

so the fishing should be good in the bay in front of Moutcha bay area? Last year I fished mostly Hoise Point area. What color of Hootch would you suggest or spoon? Some I hear are using Watermelon and a Blue Silver one (not sure the name). Thanks

Back