Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Nootka Report 7/16 to 7/20

Back from Nootka, two days early. The fishing was fantastic. The best fishing I have seen since I started going eight years ago. Ended the trip with 12 Chinook, most in the cookie cutter 20lbs range. Eleven coho, 3 lings, 2 hali, and a limit of rock cod.

Fish had just started entering the sound we got there. By the time we left they were all over, most being picked up San Carlos or Hoist. Heard that most were fishing deeper (50-60'), but we picked up all of ours in the 30-45' range. Most fish seem to be the 3 year old fish in their teens, but there are the few Tyee out there. A lot are turning back the small, holding out for the 25+ fish. Coho are really a nuisance. I can't tell you how many take downs or releases we had. Bait almost became a problem, so go big if you don't want the Coho. Outside was like a mill pond.

Here is the details of the trip:

Left Friday the 15th and made the full run to Critter Cove. Normally we stay the night in Gold River, but with a low tide in the AM and favorable weather conditions, we made the run out and were in camp by 7:30. I will say that there were considerably less vehicles at the ramp. Maybe due to how early it was in the season, but a lot due to the weak US dollar.

Up early on Saturday morning and head out to Burdwood. Only us and one other boat there. Fishing is slow not only here, but on the radio too. Fished a green hootchie with a green/red hot spot flasher with 26" leader on one side. Fished a purple haze flasher an purple haze (white) hootchie with 6' leader on the other. Hit a couple of small fish on the white, before changing the otherside up to herring with a helmet. Fished 30-45 feet. By 2:00 we had scratched out two with one at 29lbs.

Sunday, head out to the lighthouse and fished just inside the over under marker. At this point we pretty much stick with a white hootchie and bait setup. Picked up two in the 20's by 9:00. Outside is dead calm so we run out to the hali grounds. Pick up two around 20lbs and two lings in couple hours of work. We decided throw out the salmon gear and troll back in. It ends up being productive with a hand full of hatchery coho and two Chinook in the upper teens.

Back to the lighthouse the next day. This ends up being the hotspot of the day. We land 3 in the upper teens low twentys by 8:00. All are over the 77cm limit, so we have to make change in venue. Outside is dead calm again, so to the can we go. Coho are pain in the butt out here. Ended up dragging a couple of big tomic spoons with no luck. Decided to anchor up and bottom fish north of can on the reef. Get a few rockcod and a nice ling. Picked up the rest of our cod limit with a drift through the kelp beds for black bass.

Tuedsay it back to the lighthouse. The word is out as it's thick with boats. We loose a couple of nice fish right off the bat. First time all trip. Land a couple of cookie cutter and five nice size coho. Down the last fish and my 8 year old son Luke is on the pole. At this point he has 12, 18,19 under his belt. We foul hook a teener in the dorsal fin. It was a kick butt ride as this guy is jumping a flying around the back of the boat. Eventually it gets off so we reset gear. A couple of more passes and coho take downs. As I'm re-baiting, the hootchie pole go off and it obvious this is hog. Luke took the pole and plays the fish for 5-10 minutes before we land what ends up to be 31lbs Tyee, his first. The kid learns quick and did a great job. You can check out his fish on the Critter page http://www.crittercove.com/current-infoTo He's hooked and ready to back next year.

The trip on the way back was not without it own issues. The RCMP had a safety check stop between Gold River and Campbell River. You were right Holmes, this guy is out to make a name for himself. We get the third degree and end up with a ticket for not have the trailer registration on us. We left that in my dad's truck which we use to tow the boat as well. Others got by without a glance. To say the least, I was a little peaved. If your coming through, make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Papers, lights, brakes, etc.

A great trip in all!

Nice report Dom. Geez, sounds like the West Coast is on fire up and down it. How big were the hos (silvers for you I guess) ? Out of all the gear you dragged, what produced the best?

Nice report Dom
sounds like it was a great trip.

Most the hos were in the 6-8# range. We hit a nice school of larger hatchery on Tuesday. For hos, I don't think gear matters, for the nooks, a purple haze hootchie with long leader and flasher produced the biggest fish.

Nice report Dom. Geez, sounds like the West Coast is on fire up and down it. How big
were the hos (silvers for you I guess) ? Out of all the gear you dragged, what produced the best?

Just back also from critter and all I can say is un-real. Got our limit, largest 29 lots of 20's. Never caught and released so many springs in my life!!!!!!Lots of coho around just fantastic!

$200 a night for a "suite". Includes moorage. One of the best deals on the coast IMHO. Sleeps 3, shower, fridge, sink. Beats sleeping under a boat on the beach.

$ 290 per night for land based cottage for 3 people with moorage. Worth every dime of it. Don't know rates on the floating accomodations but its less. Great place. You won't be dissapointed. Tough to get space now though...

Just sent my first 3 day party home with their 2 day limit of springs. They played 82 fish over the 3 days all but 8 released. Played 14 springs before 7am this morning alone. Lots of fish on the inside...you really only need to go outside for bottom fish. We've fished San Carlos, Strange, Birdwood and Hoiss all with good results. Most of the fish are 18 to 23 pounds, 29 is our largest so far. 30's so far are few and far in between. Lots of Coho at Bajo, Wash rock and Birdwood.

Just sent my first 3 day party home with their 2 day limit of springs. They played 82 fish over the 3 days all but 8 released. Played 14 springs before 7am this morning alone. Lots of fish on the inside...you really only need to go outside for bottom fish. We've fished San Carlos, Strange, Birdwood and Hoiss all with good results. Most of the fish are 18 to 23 pounds, 29 is our largest so far. 30's so far are few and far in between. Lots of Coho at Bajo, Wash rock and Birdwood.

Sounds good as we are leaving tomorrow morning for another two weeks at Moutcha Bay Resort to ply the waters of Nootka Sound. We did good when we were up there in late June/early July this year and on this trip the grandson is flying into CR, we have to pick him up, for 4 days then towards the end of the trip, our other son is bringing in our two grand daughters for a couple days fishing. First time salt water fishing for the grand kids. Moutcha Bay has Wi-Fi so will try and post some pics of their fish, grandson is 21 and grand daughters are 8 & 10...............it will be interesting.

Dennis

FIshing remains really good. THe reef is producing some size large, we got a 34 and a 35 yesterday and released many mid 20's.

Looks like I'll be fishing a rising tide early in the morning when I am in Tahsis in a few weeks.

Is the rising tide good, bad, or indiferent?

Thanks

Flooding tides are always good-come to think of it so are ebbs-hell any tide is great if you can fish. LOL
Normally, in Nootka area, the earlier in the morning - the better. It is very still dark as I am going out! And, I love fishing first light in that area, regardless to tides and currents. :)

With the tides (depending on currents) the bite will usually come sometime one hour before, through, or one hour after either. ! :)

Back