Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Go to the link Charlie posted: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/r.../a-s25-eng.htm under species at the top of the page, look for the following:

2011 Coho opportunities map - Area 25/125: Nootka Sound (PDF)
2011 Chinook opportunities map - Area 25/125: Nootka Sound (PDF)
2011 Coho opportunities map - Area 25/125: Esperanza Inlet (PDF)
2011 Chinook opportunities map - Area 25/125: Esperanza Inlet (PDF)

Dennis

I'll wave at you from down south off Tofino........if you see a bright pink shirt to the south....."you got em"!! :p
sHa_shakeshout.gif

Ya you should pound them at Toffino...Who you out with?...its been pretty sweet fishing this season..got to love it..
have a good one ..will let you know how it goes :)

Got back from Nootka a couple of days ago. Lucky enough to fish the light house before the regs changed. The water was dead calm. Springs and coho hitting just about everything at every depth. Lots of unclipped coho which were a big nuisance. Came home with limits of both coho and springs. Had the usual great stay at Critter Cove.

Got back from Nootka a couple of days ago. Lucky enough to fish the light house before the regs changed. The water was dead calm. Springs and coho hitting just about everything at every depth. Lots of unclipped coho which were a big nuisance. Came home with limits of both coho and springs. Had the usual great stay at Critter Cove.

That was the same as us over two weeks ago, any showing up inside? San Carlos, Camel, Hoiss etc????

Thanks, sounds like they are not inside yet, seems late from what I can remember, will be heading back up there July 26 for two weeks.

Returned from Critter yesterday, a great trip. Hard to believe, but fishing was better for us inside than out. Arrived Thursday afternoon...fished Beano late that aft. asthe closure kicked in on Friday, after no strikes for two hours moved to the Monument and quickly picked up two. Both on a 5 inch watermelon spoon behind a blue hot spot at 37 feet. Fri a.m. went out to Bajo. Snotty weather. Brought about 8 springs to the boat, biggest was about 8lbs...released them all. Tired of the rain, wind, chop, immature springs, we moved to Burdwood for the flood. More immature springs and two beauty northern coho, all released. Moved from there to San Carlos and landed a 23 and 25 pound spring in the early evening. On on the watermelon spoon and flasher @ 37 feet, the other on a 6 inch Tomic, Kelly spoon @ 52 feet. Woke up Sat a.m. quickly landed a double header at San Carlos and moved to Camel Rock. Quickly picked up another at Camel. Nothing for the rest of the day. Came back out after an early dinner and landed a 26' on a Tomic, Kelly spoon @ 27 feet on the change. This was our eighth and final spring. Slept in Sunday morning, had breakfast and headed home. All in all, a great trip. Smallest was 18 and biggest was 26. The two fish at the monument were likely heading south as they were our smallest two, and perfectly chrome. The 6 inside were beginning to turn colours...slightly.

I would say fishing was between very good and excellent. Some boats were getting their limits and others were not. Those who did not seemed to be losing many fish. When I got home, a friend made a comment that it seemed "only so, so" since we didn't get anything big. I asked him the last time he went fishing for 2 1/2 days, retained 8 fish for two guys, only one of which was under 20. He said, "point taken."

Last edited by a moderator:
Great update Xman. Looks like you didn't use any bait at all. You only used spoons hey? Any plugs? Was it busy at the hot spots? Thought I heard Bajo was producing. Sounds like you may have hit it only 1 day. Thanks again for a great report

We did not have Venture to far from the «driveway to the float cabin for fish. »First morning was full of action from San Carlos to the log dump on spoons and bait, lots of Springs 18-28 lbs. Slow start at Burdwood this morning, moved across to Friendly down from the under line, good bite, sein boats pulling pilchards out, good humpy whale show. Tubbed out at San Carlos. Numerous double headers, Saw lots of Coho outside Beanu and crazy amounts of feeder Springs, got some hali. 5 inch titan watermelon was working well, but herring was magic for us in green and purple haze teasers behing red hotspots 66 inch leaders. Saw a few forum members. Hardly wait to go again...

Great update Xman. Looks like you didn't use any bait at all. You only used spoons hey? Any plugs? Was it busy at the hot spots? Thought I heard Bajo was producing. Sounds like you may have hit it only 1 day. Thanks again for a great report

Used spoons and hootchies. I love to fish plugs but did not pull them out as the spoons were working so well for us. Swapped out the hootchies for more spoons as the trip progressed. Was part of a large group and the boats using bait were reporting many fish lost. Big spoons = big hooks, and for big fish I find it helps...just a personal preference. Anyone else find the big springs inside Nootka seem to come to the surface when fighting more than others? Our group of boats sure did. Never pulled out bait and we were the fastest to reach our limit of springs in our group of three boats.

I am sure Bajo is producing as it is a great place to fish. We only tried it one morning. After two hours in Northwest swells with a chop from the south in the pouring rain we decided to move inside. We were playing non-stop springs, they were all under 12 pounds though. We never got back out as the inside was producing plenty of big fish, in calm water, close to the base.

It was busy at the hot spots, we had success west of the log dump (San Carlos), which was nice as there were fewer boats. I heard Strange Island was a gong show. One of my buddies' boats got smoked by a guide who was busy trying to figure out how his kicker remote worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive hardly used bait all season. Pretty much spoons 90% of the time. I love not having to deal with the salty little buggers! I heard Camel rock was on fire last night but I prefer offshore if the weather permits. Bajo was hot yesterday during the flood. Halis were elusive but dogfish were not..:(

just got back from esperenza and fishing is slow outside could hear the chatter and saw the cleaning table at westview didn't see any springs, found them on the edge of esperenza canyon at 450 feet, 20 something miles offshore, easy limits when we found them but the biggest fish was only 22 pounds, great weather, fished outside nootka this morning bajo is slow for springs, sounds like there are a few inside but outside is scratchy,

Hey Dave and Heavyc. Way to pound 'em! Nice bunch of fish.

well off to the westcoast this morning, hope the fishing keeps up!!! If you are at critter stop by for a pop we are in "gale force" .

Back