Lingcod Opening

FM.
That's just the price of admission for a guiding outfit. As soon as the word is out....It's OUT! It's only a matter of time before it happens and guaranteed, it will happen. Happy customers WILL be talking for sure.

IMO that service should've split up the three boats at 45-60 minute intervals and started scratching new/other area's again.

OR sent them all over to the gulf islands to pull a ling

It's basically the nature of the beast. Guide or not, if people recognize you as even a so-so fisherman, you can bet they are keeping their eyes out for you in the morning in order to follow you out.

What are you gonna do? Get into a pissing match with them in front of your clients?? Sink their boat???
Likely best to just grin and bear it, knowing what's coming for the weekend and expect big tips until then. IMO.

I think we've all bin there.....

Knuckles: It’s too windy so I’m stuck doing the chores on the “Honey Do List.”

Mr. D: You have a healthy outlook on the fishing situation: the guides don’t own the fish and the fishing spots any more than recreational fishermen. However, as a sporty, I can’t help but have the impression that a few guides are the biggest jerks I’ve ever encountered. These are the ones who almost run you over with their big boats. The ones who are unfriendly when asked the simplest question like “how deep are you finding them today.” The ones who seem to think weekend fishermen are little more than poachers who are out to rape the ocean. But if the weekenders are rapists, what does that make the guides? Prostitutes? Unfortunately, some guides (and former guides?) act as if they are members in a privileged, exclusive and superior fishing fraternity.

Luckily, the majority of guides and recreational fishermen are fantastic. This majority understands that we are all on the same side and need to work together, that there are usually enough fish to go around if we’re sensible, and that conservation is necessary and in everyone’s best interest. I agree Mr. D: there’s no need to get in a “pissing match.”

Amen :D

Knuckles: It’s too windy so I’m stuck doing the chores on the “Honey Do List.”

Mr. D: You have a healthy outlook on the fishing situation: the guides don’t own the fish and the fishing spots any more than recreational fishermen. However, as a sporty, I can’t help but have the impression that a few guides are the biggest jerks I’ve ever encountered. These are the ones who almost run you over with their big boats. The ones who are unfriendly when asked the simplest question like “how deep are you finding them today.” The ones who seem to think weekend fishermen are little more than poachers who are out to rape the ocean. But if the weekenders are rapists, what does that make the guides? Prostitutes? Unfortunately, some guides (and former guides?) act as if they are members in a privileged, exclusive and superior fishing fraternity.

Luckily, the majority of guides and recreational fishermen are fantastic. This majority understands that we are all on the same side and need to work together, that there are usually enough fish to go around if we’re sensible, and that conservation is necessary and in everyone’s best interest. I agree Mr. D: there’s no need to get in a “pissing match.”

Amen :D

Hey Red.
Everyone that knows me, knows that I don't like to mix it up with the crowds. My favorite saying is: "If you want crowds, then head on over to the MetroTown Mall for an afternoon". :D

I have several holes that can't support more than 3 or so boats fishing at the same time. By day three or four people get clued in and there is usually 10 boats lined up trying to hit it just right. It gets much to busy and the fish move on to another spot. [V]

Its not a huge deal. As long as you know where that next spot is. ;)
Then the cycle repeats itself on the 'new' hole and you're forced to start from the beginning again.

Frustrating.........Sure. [}:)]
Dependable..........You bet! :(

Funny thing is that when it gets busy in these types of places, no-one catch's zip. But many of the people can't figure out why you can produce and they cannot. [^]

After a while some of the regulars figure out what's going on and the next thing you know is that there is an alliance now being formed. :)

This also comes in handy when the cycle is forced into 'repeating' mode. [:0]
I believe it's called networking. ;)

Now, in an effort to get this thread back on track....

Is there anyone out there that would like to join a few friends of mine, along w/ yours truly, for a Salmon/Ling fest, based out of Montague Harbour, on the second weekend of June?

We have two boats lined up so far that appear to be full. Others are welcome to join in for the 'event' but should be able to provide their own tub.

Sorry guys/gals....I won't be handing out fish sticks on this one. :D:D:D

BTW. CaptDudds;
You catch anything with that pole yet!!!!!?????

Hey Red.
Everyone that knows me, knows that I don't like to mix it up with the crowds. My favorite saying is: "If you want crowds, then head on over to the MetroTown Mall for an afternoon". :D

I have several holes that can't support more than 3 or so boats fishing at the same time. By day three or four people get clued in and there is usually 10 boats lined up trying to hit it just right. It gets much to busy and the fish move on to another spot. [V]

Its not a huge deal. As long as you know where that next spot is. ;)
Then the cycle repeats itself on the 'new' hole and you're forced to start from the beginning again.

Frustrating.........Sure. [}:)]
Dependable..........You bet! :(

Funny thing is that when it gets busy in these types of places, no-one catch's zip. But many of the people can't figure out why you can produce and they cannot. [^]

After a while some of the regulars figure out what's going on and the next thing you know is that there is an alliance now being formed. :)

This also comes in handy when the cycle is forced into 'repeating' mode. [:0]
I believe it's called networking. ;)

Now, in an effort to get this thread back on track....

Is there anyone out there that would like to join a few friends of mine, along w/ yours truly, for a Salmon/Ling fest, based out of Montague Harbour, on the second weekend of June?

We have two boats lined up so far that appear to be full. Others are welcome to join in for the 'event' but should be able to provide their own tub.

Sorry guys/gals....I won't be handing out fish sticks on this one. :D:D:D

BTW. CaptDudds;
You catch anything with that pole yet!!!!!?????

Im interested ,im moored in maple bay but have never headed south further than cow bay... salmon/ling weekend gulf island derby?

Im interested ,im moored in maple bay but have never headed south further than cow bay... salmon/ling weekend gulf island derby?

Knuckles;
Yup!

In on Friday evening, out on Sunday afternoon. Our group has accommodations set up for the weekend. I'm thinking Saturday evening festivities (victory dances) at the pub......Hang-overs Sunday morning. [xx(][xx(][xx(]

All of us will be coming over from Vancouver.

Knuckles;
Yup!

In on Friday evening, out on Sunday afternoon. Our group has accommodations set up for the weekend. I'm thinking Saturday evening festivities (victory dances) at the pub......Hang-overs Sunday morning. [xx(][xx(][xx(]

I have no interest in turning this into a derby. It's acually my buddy's gig. The bunch of us are going over for a GUY'S weekend, chasing fish.

No politics of a derby. Just some people getting together on the dock...

I have no interest in turning this into a derby. It's acually my buddy's gig. The bunch of us are going over for a GUY'S weekend, chasing fish.

No politics of a derby. Just some people getting together on the dock...

Mr. Dean

Actually, I took my little cousin out halibut fishing the other day, we ended up with no butts, but he really wanted to catch a fish so we did a little jigging on the way in and he caught a little rock cod and on the way in, a nice ling grabbed it. Well he thought that was just about the best thing that has ever happend to anyone. I didn't have the heart to tell him its farely common so I've heard him tell the story to about 10 people already, and last time I heard it, the ling was about the size of our boat! hahah anyways, good times!

FYI for everyone reading this we let them both go, and about 100' apart for the sake of the rock cod!

Anyways Dean, I'm heading up to balckfish sound in a few weeks, and it'll get the salmon test then! I'll keep you updated.

tight lines,

Mr. Dean

Actually, I took my little cousin out halibut fishing the other day, we ended up with no butts, but he really wanted to catch a fish so we did a little jigging on the way in and he caught a little rock cod and on the way in, a nice ling grabbed it. Well he thought that was just about the best thing that has ever happend to anyone. I didn't have the heart to tell him its farely common so I've heard him tell the story to about 10 people already, and last time I heard it, the ling was about the size of our boat! hahah anyways, good times!

FYI for everyone reading this we let them both go, and about 100' apart for the sake of the rock cod!

Anyways Dean, I'm heading up to balckfish sound in a few weeks, and it'll get the salmon test then! I'll keep you updated.

tight lines,

Good on you Dudds! It's a real hoot watch'n young'uns having a try. Guess the timing isn't good for you to make the trip...........Good luck in Blackfish. :)

Good on you Dudds! It's a real hoot watch'n young'uns having a try. Guess the timing isn't good for you to make the trip...........Good luck in Blackfish. :)

ill see you up there dudds im in on the may 24th to june 8th hope to see you there.

Wolf

ill see you up there dudds im in on the may 24th to june 8th hope to see you there.

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Dean

Knuckles;
Yup!

Ho-down at the Hummingbird.I've had my share of hangovers from that place.So,are you guys trailering over on the ferry and launching at Montague?Where are the accomodations?
If I came over it wouldn't be till sat p.m.,then I would moor at the marina.

Back