Lingcod Opening

Hey, F'ing Magician, I think you're way out of line to make such characterizations about members here. [?] Did someone die and appoint you Fishing Know-it-all?

quote:Anyways..thanks for tipping off the world about where to fish for lings close to Vancouver...particularly a notable group of anglers who will probably be fishing over there hauling in as many as they can...and then selling them to their friends and friends of friends.
If you were referring to me mentioning Porlier im so sorry i let oout such a close kept secret [:0] I think you shouldve stopped bashing along time ago some people wanting to go out and have some fun with a species that can easily be cought (there are alot to go around) everybody on board can fish for (no body is bored and everyone is SMILING), and they are a hell of alot of fun to reel in

and i just want to say that Mr. Dean, you could not have said it better ;)

quote:Anyways..thanks for tipping off the world about where to fish for lings close to Vancouver...particularly a notable group of anglers who will probably be fishing over there hauling in as many as they can...and then selling them to their friends and friends of friends.
If you were referring to me mentioning Porlier im so sorry i let oout such a close kept secret [:0] I think you shouldve stopped bashing along time ago some people wanting to go out and have some fun with a species that can easily be cought (there are alot to go around) everybody on board can fish for (no body is bored and everyone is SMILING), and they are a hell of alot of fun to reel in

and who the hell on the board catches a cooler full of fish and sells them off? poachers yes, Sport Fishing BC member, NO

and who the hell on the board catches a cooler full of fish and sells them off? poachers yes, Sport Fishing BC member, NO

Steady lads..........deep breath now , these are only opinions and whether we like it or not eveyone is entitled to one , you may not agree but a least lets communicate in a logical form without resorting to poking each other in the eye so to speak.

Thanks for the pause to think this out ,
AL

Steady lads..........deep breath now , these are only opinions and whether we like it or not eveyone is entitled to one , you may not agree but a least lets communicate in a logical form without resorting to poking each other in the eye so to speak.

Thanks for the pause to think this out ,
AL

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

Porlier has been on the top of the hit list for sushi fishers for years.As well as Active.Even during the last few years of closure they have been there.Maybe with some honest eyes on the water (in the same area) it will help to keep these folks and their guides honest.
All we can do is hope that will be the case.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

Porlier has been on the top of the hit list for sushi fishers for years.As well as Active.Even during the last few years of closure they have been there.Maybe with some honest eyes on the water (in the same area) it will help to keep these folks and their guides honest.
All we can do is hope that will be the case.

Right on 'knucklebuster'. As recreational sportsfishermen we are often the best protectors of our resource as we all wish to see fishing continue in perpetuity. This was the drive behind establishing the B.C. Wildlife Federation. Recreational hunters and fishermen fighting for a future resource and access to it.

Right on 'knucklebuster'. As recreational sportsfishermen we are often the best protectors of our resource as we all wish to see fishing continue in perpetuity. This was the drive behind establishing the B.C. Wildlife Federation. Recreational hunters and fishermen fighting for a future resource and access to it.

Interesting phenomenon here. On Fishing with Rod, there was a couple of threads last fall on this subject.. and the consensus was that if there was a good spot or area...you were ok to report your success, but should keep the location to yourself particularly with a HOT area.

Now, the said location may not be a secret to you or me or many other members on the board, however I believe we have a duty to not to disclose something like that publicly.

I remember 3 years ago in mid-June when a local charter firm in Vancouver was doing very well on an early run of LARGE mature springs, and by doing extremely well I mean over the course of a week-finding 6 over 20 lbs in 3 consecutive 5 hour charters--large reds for Vancouver at that time of year. The Vancouver Sun caught wind of it, all the major tackle shops caught wind of it... and the next thing, everyone and seemingly their dog headed out to that spot. It was quite the sight, I've never seen anything like it, I remember heading out on the Saturday morning at 9 am and approaching the area and being stunned. It rivalled the busiest days in September/August around Vancouver like we were open for sockeye! Literally, close to the entire population of resident weekend recreational anglers was on the water on that weekend...I couldn't believe my eyes...I counted 135 boats plus. Anyways..listening in on the radio, there were probably 20 springs fished out that morning..with the firm that leaked out the information getting..you guess it...NONE for 3 boats.

That's the type of effect a juicy piece of information like that can have on a fishery.

Anyways. That's just my belief. However, if there's a land of plenty, I believe it's a duty to selectively disclose information, especially if there is a conservation concern. Hatchery fish? probably not..however most definitely with lingcod as in this case.

Anyways..that's just my opinion.

Interesting phenomenon here. On Fishing with Rod, there was a couple of threads last fall on this subject.. and the consensus was that if there was a good spot or area...you were ok to report your success, but should keep the location to yourself particularly with a HOT area.

Now, the said location may not be a secret to you or me or many other members on the board, however I believe we have a duty to not to disclose something like that publicly.

I remember 3 years ago in mid-June when a local charter firm in Vancouver was doing very well on an early run of LARGE mature springs, and by doing extremely well I mean over the course of a week-finding 6 over 20 lbs in 3 consecutive 5 hour charters--large reds for Vancouver at that time of year. The Vancouver Sun caught wind of it, all the major tackle shops caught wind of it... and the next thing, everyone and seemingly their dog headed out to that spot. It was quite the sight, I've never seen anything like it, I remember heading out on the Saturday morning at 9 am and approaching the area and being stunned. It rivalled the busiest days in September/August around Vancouver like we were open for sockeye! Literally, close to the entire population of resident weekend recreational anglers was on the water on that weekend...I couldn't believe my eyes...I counted 135 boats plus. Anyways..listening in on the radio, there were probably 20 springs fished out that morning..with the firm that leaked out the information getting..you guess it...NONE for 3 boats.

That's the type of effect a juicy piece of information like that can have on a fishery.

Anyways. That's just my belief. However, if there's a land of plenty, I believe it's a duty to selectively disclose information, especially if there is a conservation concern. Hatchery fish? probably not..however most definitely with lingcod as in this case.

Anyways..that's just my opinion.

This was brought up by myself here a while back.A Victoria news paper writer gave a report about Nit nat and that weekend the place was a zoo.Problem was he gave exact detailed info on how to get there and even said where to park for best river access.Then,if you went to the local (victoria) tackle shop,They were drawing people maps!
Heres the difference.If I say Porlier Pass,Active Pass,Sidney or any of the other ling areas I know,and you have never fished them before,you will never get a fish (not likely unless you get lucky).These are just general descriptions of very large areas.There is not enough info here to guide a group of meat getters to a successful day on the water.The ones that will be successful already know where to fish these areas.and how.I know lots of people who have gone to Porlier and spent a day trying and got nothing.
Besides,what I hear is fisheries is going to keep a close eye on it and if it gets stupid it will be shut down immediately.By 'stupid' you know what I mean.If it turns back into a commercial venture like in the past.That info came straight from local fisheries officer.
They also have the power to close certain areas if need be.

This was brought up by myself here a while back.A Victoria news paper writer gave a report about Nit nat and that weekend the place was a zoo.Problem was he gave exact detailed info on how to get there and even said where to park for best river access.Then,if you went to the local (victoria) tackle shop,They were drawing people maps!
Heres the difference.If I say Porlier Pass,Active Pass,Sidney or any of the other ling areas I know,and you have never fished them before,you will never get a fish (not likely unless you get lucky).These are just general descriptions of very large areas.There is not enough info here to guide a group of meat getters to a successful day on the water.The ones that will be successful already know where to fish these areas.and how.I know lots of people who have gone to Porlier and spent a day trying and got nothing.
Besides,what I hear is fisheries is going to keep a close eye on it and if it gets stupid it will be shut down immediately.By 'stupid' you know what I mean.If it turns back into a commercial venture like in the past.That info came straight from local fisheries officer.
They also have the power to close certain areas if need be.

FM.
That's just the price of admission for a guiding outfit. As soon as the word is out....It's OUT! It's only a matter of time before it happens and guaranteed, it will happen. Happy customers WILL be talking for sure.

IMO that service should've split up the three boats at 45-60 minute intervals and started scratching new/other area's again.

OR sent them all over to the gulf islands to pull a ling

It's basically the nature of the beast. Guide or not, if people recognize you as even a so-so fisherman, you can bet they are keeping their eyes out for you in the morning in order to follow you out.

What are you gonna do? Get into a pissing match with them in front of your clients?? Sink their boat???
Likely best to just grin and bear it, knowing what's coming for the weekend and expect big tips until then. IMO.

I think we've all bin there.....

Back