Humboldt Squid- Garry Cooper show

I'm going to use these.

You can add the appropriate weight to the bottom to match your depth and conditions. I assume constant pressure is important to keep the squid from coming off those hooks. No barb etc. I figure 24 ounces will get tiring if you do fish 1000' and need to reel non stop on the retrieve.

Tonelli had a spring with one in it at thrasher this year , like 2 - 3 lbs squid they are very different than the opal squid you see schooling at the docks . Pretty sure someone here had a ling with one in it aswell.

Great thanks for the share, that is exactly what my second thought was, will need some decent weight to fish those depths effectively.…the PNT twine model looks like you can snap a weight on the bottom but doesn’t state the size (actually looks the same as what @Flashman pointed out) . Let me know how you do @Captain PartyMarty! From my un-squiducated perspective it seems like a needle in a haystack thing trying to find squid out in +1000 fow off WVCI… perhaps if there was a confined channel or hole, no idea really.

Tonelli had a spring with one in it at thrasher this year , like 2 - 3 lbs squid they are very different than the opal squid you see schooling at the docks . Pretty sure someone here had a ling with one in it aswell.
I got one of those in a 40# halibut at Rupert a few years ago. After I applied the high speed quiver device it spit up about a football sized chunk of the mantel with fins attached. sliced it up and dent it overboard my cousin caught a 60# as soon as it hit bottom. All in all a really good day

Just noticed that HC has these squid gangion chains...not exactly the same but may do the same thing, cheaper and local. For the record, I have zero experience with squid (yet).

Anyone have the link to the video - I can't find it, and want to try this out.

Also, anyone able to clarify the depth where he fished, and how deep his lure was?

I bit... Looked too cool. Tried it out of Pacific Playgrounds for a couple hours with a cheap glow danielson jig and a 1 lb weight tied on below. Fished in about 920-1000 feet of water. I was using a reel spooled with braid that I think had about 600 feet... I put it all out. I had several bumps (half a dozen?).... and got one squid... 19 cm mantle length and 11 oz. Apparently they can grow to 28 cm mantle length and I have heard several lbs. I am tempted to try an unweighted jig as a dropper off the main... saw a video on that somewhere. It is so hard to tell what is going on that deep with that much weight... and I think if you lower the rod after the squid hooks itself you will pull the spikes out with the big weight dropping below...... with the dropper this would not be as much of an issue? Anyway, stoked to try again. Squid was very tasty... but arms were very tough... mantle less tough.... will try soaking in salted milk next time.

I bit... Looked too cool. Tried it out of Pacific Playgrounds for a couple hours with a cheap glow danielson jig and a 1 lb weight tied on below. Fished in about 920-1000 feet of water. I was using a reel spooled with braid that I think had about 600 feet... I put it all out. I had several bumps (half a dozen?).... and got one squid... 19 cm mantle length and 11 oz. Apparently they can grow to 28 cm mantle length and I have heard several lbs. I am tempted to try an unweighted jig as a dropper off the main... saw a video on that somewhere. It is so hard to tell what is going on that deep with that much weight... and I think if you lower the rod after the squid hooks itself you will pull the spikes out with the big weight dropping below...... with the dropper this would not be as much of an issue? Anyway, stoked to try again. Squid was very tasty... but arms were very tough... mantle less tough.... will try soaking in salted milk next time.
What time of year?

End of May 2021 this Armhook squid came out of a lingcod caught in 60 feet of water in the Thrasher Rock area. From what I understand they hang out in the 300' - 350' depth (in water that can be much deeper) during the day and then come up to forage at night. They are likely very widespread throughout the SOG and How Sound. There's a fellow on Instagram (vancitysalmon) that's been targeting them with some success locally. I have not tried yet, but do hope to get out there on a low wind / low tidal movement day this spring to give it a shot. Island Fisherman had an article last month regarding local squid fishing but also incorrectly called these ones Humbolts.

Attachments

• 1681160271911.jpeg
    1681160271911.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
End of May 2021 this Armhook squid came out of a lingcod caught in 60 feet of water in the Thrasher Rock area. From what I understand they hang out in the 350' - 350' depth (in water that can be much deeper) during the day and then come up to forage at night. They are likely very widespread throughout the SOG and How Sound. There's a fellow on Instagram (vancitysalmon) that's been targeting them with some success locally. I have not tried yet, but do hope to get out there on a low wind / low tidal movement day this spring to give it a shot. Island Fisherman had an article last month regarding local squid fishing but also incorrectly called these ones Humbolts.
perfect eating size

Back