Help with buying my first boat

aeroblade

I appreciate any help you guys can provide while I make a nerve-wracking purchase :-D

I will be using this boat for cruising around the Gulf Islands and off of Victoria, and fishing there as well as off of Sooke & Port Renfrew.

Here is what I'm looking for:
1) A boat that my Toyota Highlander than can pull: max 5000lb. It won't be moored.
2) I want something with a cuddy that is big enough to sleep in (for one at least). I fully expect that means it would need to be 21ft ideally, but as little as 19 perhaps. I'm 6'1"
3) The boat needs to have only outboard engines - a main and a kicker.
4) I need something with a standing helm as an option (to help out a bad back in rougher seas)
5) I can spend up to $60k (but the engine had better have low hours), or preferably sub $40k.
6) It needs to be good in rough water.
7) I'm buying in Canada. I don't want the hassle of cross-border sales (assuming that's a thing - like always)
8) I don't want a boat that has an underpowered engine. I haven't seen that much yet, but figured it is worth adding.
9) If no hard top, then a fully contained bimini must be included

Suggestions for boat types are welcome! Keep in mind, I definitely want some that has the option of protection from the elements.

My dream list:
> It would have a door that can close off the cabin so I can use it comfortably in the colder months
> The owner would have loved his/her boat - this always shows.
> The stringers and transom would have been replaced or recently inspected and in excellent condition. I expect this will be an issue based on my budget and the age of the boats I am looking at.
> I love the look of Arima hulls, they look like they'd be great in rougher weather. Not many around, though.
> It already has powered downrigger inputs and mounts.
> Or even better... it includes fishing gear (I'm amazed how often that seems to be the case)

Here are some boats I'm considering. Not all are the perfect length, but I'm hopeful they won't be too off-base.
Note: I'm concerned about the odd thing I've read about Campion hulls... I am not certain what years to avoid. Please advise if you know!

1) 1998 Campion 622 Explorer 21ft (more like 19 without the spread): https://www.sherwoodmarine.com/Pre-...-622-Sherwood-Marine-Centre-15455276?ref=list
I'm likely going to check this out on Tuesday.
I realize I will have maybe a couple of years before I will want to replace these engines with new/newer 4-strokes. But the price allows for that.
I will also be forking out $10k or so (I expect) on upgrades inside.

2) 2006 Campion 542 Explorer 19ft: https://www.usedcomoxvalley.com/power-boats/40713706
I asked the guy and he said the main engine has no hour tracker (weird) but he estimates 800 hours based on what the Yamaha software said.

3) 2010 Double Eagle 185: Too short for my cuddy needs and perhaps even not great for rougher seas, but obviously a tried and true boat brand... it's tempting.
No hours noted on engine :-/

4) 2005 Campion 622wa: (FB only, sorry) https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3564884800431110/
This is a beauty. The engine hours are high, but it seems well maintained. I'm not sure how much this would weigh with engines and gas on a trailer...

I may add to this info as I go. I will try to make it clear when I've done so.

Thank you VERY MUCH for your advice.

Last edited:
I’ll start…

Arima boats are cool in their own ways, they are super stable at drift/troll and utilize their space very efficiently. They would be considered one of the rougher riding boats on the coast, contrary to your thoughts on how they look. They have quite a flat bottom and not much deadrise, but that’s what makes them so stable and fuel efficient.

The 2005 and later Campion products are from what I recall as being the years you’re wanting to look for. The 622 layout is awful (a buddy of mine had one). They have only two seats and the whole use of the helm/walk around ect is useless, I can’t believe they made these for so long. Owned a 2006 542 and it was a great boat.

The 185 DE you mention as being as being not great for rougher seas is actually the most seaworthy boat on your list, so you’re a little confused with what hull characteristics translate to rough water performance, but now you know.

The 542 on your list has the right power ect but that whole interior is shot and likely the seats are all gummy and would need replacing so budget 4-5 grand for that. Also if you’re any taller than 5’10” then you’re not sleeping in 542, the 622 you would do fine.

P.S.. The 150 on the 542 would be the era of the bad harmonic balancers, you would need to confirm that it’s been replaced, if not I would bet that is roughly a 2k bill installed these days, but a quick call to a dealer could confirm this. If the owner says he doesn’t know then it’s not done.

I had a 19’ Arima for years - not as bad ride as everyone claims. Just don’t go out in the rough weather and it’s fine. Unsinkable and lots of deck space. Arima 21 would be a good candidate - avoid older campions as everyone knows.

Might not be as popular as other choices but I absolutely love my trophy 1802 it’s small and easy to trailer has a cuddy with a locking door I’m 6’1” and sleep comfy definitely a little tighter with 2 people but doable for sure. 18’ long 7’6” wide so fairly big for an 18 the walk around is very handy we love exploring different beaches ect so nice to be able to just walk up to the front and hop off 52gal fuel tank keeps the boat stable having the weight down low pretty good range for an 18’er lots of head room under the canopy I like to stand and drive so that was important. Has a full drop down back as well which is great for winter fishing. I have a 115hp mercury command thrust (150hp lower unit) with a 15p mercury enertia stainless prop definitely not under powered we usually have 600+lbs of people on board still gets up on plane easily it’s been a very versatile boat for us wether it’s the West coast Vancouver island or a fun lake day with the family if you look into trophy’s definitely go for a 2000+ year as they have composite stringers, poly fuel tank a much better hull. There’s a 1902 trophy for sale on market place for $49k i believe that’s a pretty slick boat and in your price range. All in im into the boat around $45-47k but I re powered the boat with a brand new main, new kicker, custom kicker bracket, custom radar arch, fully re wired the boat had it polished and rebuilt the trailer the boat was in good running shape when I got it but I wanted to set it up exactly how I wanted and will last me years of trouble free service. I’m no expert but I think if you want to be in the 20’+range and fiberglass you’ll be pushing your tow vehicles capabilities a 20’ glass boat especially an older one has to weigh minimum 2500lbs if not more that alone is 50% of your 5000lbs add the trailer motors gear and people in the vehicle likely 5k+ just my opinion.

1716825543407.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure how heavy these are to tow. New main. Looks clean.
Another option,

I’ll start…

Arima boats are cool in their own ways, they are super stable at drift/troll and utilize their space very efficiently. They would be considered one of the rougher riding boats on the coast, contrary to your thoughts on how they look. They have quite a flat bottom and not much deadrise, but that’s what makes them so stable and fuel efficient.

The 2005 and later Campion products are from what I recall as being the years you’re wanting to look for. The 622 layout is awful (a buddy of mine had one). They have only two seats and the whole use of the helm/walk around ect is useless, I can’t believe they made these for so long. Owned a 2006 542 and it was a great boat.

The 185 DE you mention as being as being not great for rougher seas is actually the most seaworthy boat on your list, so you’re a little confused with what hull characteristics translate to rough water performance, but now you know.

The 542 on your list has the right power ect but that whole interior is shot and likely the seats are all gummy and would need replacing so budget 4-5 grand for that. Also if you’re any taller than 5’10” then you’re not sleeping in 542, the 622 you would do fine.

P.S.. The 150 on the 542 would be the era of the bad harmonic balancers, you would need to confirm that it’s been replaced, if not I would bet that is roughly a 2k bill installed these days, but a quick call to a dealer could confirm this. If the owner says he doesn’t know then it’s not done.
Thank you very much for the excellent feedback and for setting my knowledge straight on hulls. As for height, I'm 6'1".

Might not be as popular as other choices but I absolutely love my trophy 1802 it’s small and easy to trailer has a cuddy with a locking door I’m 6’1” and sleep comfy definitely a little tighter with 2 people but doable for sure. 18’ long 7’6” wide so fairly big for an 18 the walk around is very handy we love exploring different beaches ect so nice to be able to just walk up to the front and hop off 52gal fuel tank keeps the boat stable having the weight down low pretty good range for an 18’er lots of head room under the canopy I like to stand and drive so that was important. Has a full drop down back as well which is great for winter fishing. I have a 115hp mercury command thrust (150hp lower unit) with a 15p mercury enertia stainless prop definitely not under powered we usually have 600+lbs of people on board still gets up on plane easily it’s been a very versatile boat for us wether it’s the West coast Vancouver island or a fun lake day with the family if you look into trophy’s definitely go for a 2000+ year as they have composite stringers, poly fuel tank a much better hull. There’s a 1902 trophy for sale on market place for $49k i believe that’s a pretty slick boat and in your price range. All in im into the boat around $45-47k but I re powered the boat with a brand new main, new kicker, custom kicker bracket, custom radar arch, fully re wired the boat had it polished and rebuilt the trailer the boat was in good running shape when I got it but I wanted to set it up exactly how I wanted and will last me years of trouble free service. I’m no expert but I think if you want to be in the 20’+range and fiberglass you’ll be pushing your tow vehicles capabilities a 20’ glass boat especially an older one has to weigh minimum 2500lbs if not more that alone is 50% of your 5000lbs add the trailer motors gear and people in the vehicle likely 5k+ just my opinion.

View attachment 106526

Thanks for the great tips! I love that you are able to sleep in the cuddy and all of the other info provided. I assume there's a way to button it up in the winter if you want to go on the water? The 1902 you mentioned is (unfortunately) too far away. But I'll keep an eye out for some closer!

Also, what do you think of Seaswirl Stripers? I'm not sure how they measure up, but they are a similar design and I see more of them for sale around here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/975198224393304/

Thanks for the great tips! I love that you are able to sleep in the cuddy and all of the other info provided. I assume there's a way to button it up in the winter if you want to go on the water? The 1902 you mentioned is (unfortunately) too far away. But I'll keep an eye out for some closer!

Also, what do you think of Seaswirl Stripers? I'm not sure how they measure up, but they are a similar design and I see more of them for sale around here https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/975198224393304/
Hey, is this the Trophy you were mentioning? The first one I found was in Summerland (far away), this one is much closer https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/762168052341726/

Last edited:
Hey, is this the Trophy you were mentioning? The first one I found was in Summerland (far away), this one is much closer https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/762168052341726/
Yes that’s the one I was talking about! I was between the 1851 striper and the 1802 trophy I found the trophy felt bigger both great boats the euro style on the 1851 stripers are nice but made the rear deck feel smaller to me anyway so that made the decision, If you get the 1851 you’ll want a 2002 or newer as I believe that’s when they had a major redesign and face lift. Here’s a picture of my canvas all set up the day I got the boat so you get the idea really nice when boat camping and winter fishing. If I were you I would look for a 1902 trophy, 1802, 1851 striper, campion 542 and the double eagle 185 all amazing boats all have pros and cons but at the end of the day they are within your budget, towing capacity and very safe boats.

Attachments

• 64FC83F7-188A-42B9-B443-677F2E4BFEE9.png
    64FC83F7-188A-42B9-B443-677F2E4BFEE9.png
    845.4 KB · Views: 28
Yes that’s the one I was talking about! I was between the 1851 striper and the 1802 trophy I found the trophy felt bigger both great boats the euro style on the 1851 stripers are nice but made the rear deck feel smaller to me anyway so that made the decision, If you get the 1851 you’ll want a 2002 or newer as I believe that’s when they had a major redesign and face lift. Here’s a picture of my canvas all set up the day I got the boat so you get the idea really nice when boat camping and winter fishing. If I were you I would look for a 1902 trophy, 1802, 1851 striper, campion 542 and the double eagle 185 all amazing boats all have pros and cons but at the end of the day they are within your budget, towing capacity and very safe boats.
Thanks! I appreciate the picture.

If I get the 195 Trophy Pro is that the same as 1802? I'm a bit confused about the numbering conventions.

You would be paying almost $50,000 if you paid asking price for that 1902. I’m gonna suggest that is too much money for that boat, even though the power has been updated. That’s a lot to spend for a small boat.

The 1902 series is the improved 1802 model. Little bit bigger everywhere, and I agree that they are a good boat for two people but not much more. If you’re gonna spend almost $50,000, I think you could do much better. 21 foot would be bigger all around, Striper, bigger Trophy Pro, or similar. Those walkaround style boats with a cuddy up front work quite well. They don’t have the Alaskan bulkhead with the back door you originally asked for, but they do have canvas that you can close the back in the winter and try to keep some heat in.

Back