Help first time buying used boat.

Shineyshiney

Hi everyone, been reading a lot and getting great info off this forum. I have some questions hoping for some assistance/guidance in the right direction. Buying my first boat, small one- 16'-17' aluminum. Probably a Lund since that seems to be the best brand. Aiming for something newer, 2020+.

1) I purchased a "Boat-Alert" and it didn't have any red flags.

2) Will probably go to service Canada to do a lien search next. Not sure exactly which locations as the online descriptions don't seem to offer the services. I will update this post once confirmed.

3) Will be doing a pre-purchase inspection with a marine mechanic.

4) Do I need to sea trial something this new and of this size? Will likely have just a outboard and kicker.

5) I am going to use it for both salt and fresh-water, what do I need to inspect personally?

6) In regards to licensing and registration, I couldn't seem to find the licensing record or the registration (with Transport Canada, likely not registered). How can I prove ownership? If they bought it brand new I guess I can ask for the bill of sale? What if they were not the first owner?

7) Is really a bill of sale sufficient? I just draft it up using a template and grab their ID and original bill of sale if available? What is the official way for me to register this transfer of license? (attached a BOS that I found on our forum as a resource)

8) Finally, taxes, there seems to be differing opinion about what is included (split between hull, accessory, trailer) but from the B.C. PST rules it seems to apply to everything (12%). Any advice/opinions that can help me save some money? It seems like they have expediated the tax billing process from older posts where some get billed 2 years after the transfer has occurred. I know I need to register the trailer separately and give it some arbitrary value?

Thank you everyone in advance. I really appreciate the resources on this forum and hope these questions help all newer members consolidate all the info in one post.

Attachments

• MV1415 - Bill of Sale.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Watercraft-Bill-of-Sale-Printable.pdf
    11.7 KB · Views: 4
  • BILL-OF-SALE.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sounds like you've got it figured out to me. I am no expert - I have only bought two used boats that I bothered to register. Those were the ones that already had a hull ID and I intended to use in the salt. My little 12 foot tinny car topper lake boat I never bothered. For the two I did - yes, I just wrote up a bill of sale based on a template, had it signed and got photo of the seller's ID and whatever paperwork they still had on hand. I registered them, and come to think of it have never been hit up for the tax bill on either (so far). I did pay the taxes on the trailer when registering with ICBC. Come to an agreement on the total package price with the seller, and decide in advance what portion/value you will attribute to hull vs trailer on the paperwork.

In terms of inspection, again I learn more on this site that I am able to contribute, and others will advise you with way more experience. But on a tinny, I would think you're looking for leaks and transom stability primarily. And that the power is solid - which hopefully your mechanic will be able to advise you. I've never went shopping for a boat that new.

Yup, pretty much go as you and chille51 suggest. A tinny, you can visually "test" yourself. The joints and transom must be solid but otherwise in good shape, overall. Check the trailer thoroughly. Potentially more trouble than the boat.

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it! I'm aiming mainly for something newer so hopefully you can't get that much damage in a 2-3 y.o boat. Trying to save on some of the depreciation while still getting a mainly "trouble-free" boat.

Is winterization a big deal? And are there any maintenance that is required for first few years of a new boat?

Sea trail is very important. I put down a deposit and found the value of that deposit wrong with my boat during the sea trail and they fixed most of it. Always run it up to full speed for a nice long run, until the engine is nice and warm and then put it down to idle for a couple of minutes to make sure it doesn't stall. Look for the boat to operate smoothly when going straight and turning, great if you have both rough and calm water. Bring someone experienced if you can.

If the 2-3 year old boats you are looking at have evinrudes do your research and ask several mechanics.

8) we have some revenue Canada members on here. We all agree to the social contract of paying tax on the main engine, hull and trailer of big boats. Where 9.9 and under boat does not have to be registered unless you want to do extra civic duty and send a check to your favourite provincial and federal politicians.

Sea trail is very important. I put down a deposit and found the value of that deposit wrong with my boat during the sea trail and they fixed most of it. Always run it up to full speed for a nice long run, until the engine is nice and warm and then put it down to idle for a couple of minutes to make sure it doesn't stall. Look for the boat to operate smoothly when going straight and turning, great if you have both rough and calm water. Bring someone experienced if you can.

If the 2-3 year old boats you are looking at have evinrudes do your research and ask several mechanics.

8) we have some revenue Canada members on here. We all agree to the social contract of paying tax on the main engine, hull and trailer of big boats. Where 9.9 and under boat does not have to be registered unless you want to do extra civic duty and send a check to your favourite provincial and federal politicians.

Pro tip

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it! I'm aiming mainly for something newer so hopefully you can't get that much damage in a 2-3 y.o boat. Trying to save on some of the depreciation while still getting a mainly "trouble-free" boat.

Is winterization a big deal? And are there any maintenance that is required for first few years of a new boat?
Winterizing: Any boat does better out of the weather. Transom plug out so any water drains out. For the engine, leg down, run fuel stabilizer through and fog the cylinders. Keep the battery fully charged for storage and preferably above freezing temperatures.

Will try to get the sea trial for sure then and do as you have suggested. Thank you for the tip!

Winterizing: Any boat does better out of the weather. Transom plug out so any water drains out. For the engine, leg down, run fuel stabilizer through and fog the cylinders. Keep the battery fully charged for storage and preferably above freezing temperatures.
Good to know. Yes I will be storing it inside my garage (ideally). I will find some instructions on the stabilizer and fogging cylinders as well. Thank you again gentlemen!

Back