Halibut Reports 2009 South Island

fished out of Pedder Bay today....1 large rockfish released, one bite....little choppy at noon. Later in afternoon, calm. Anchovy and white grub.

Tough tides out there today that I saw. A large rockfish took an anchovy off the bottom while I trolled. I had a bite with white grub while jigging...could be a halibut. I will use large herring next time when the tides are good.

ah my bad fishspoon, i was confused. Try big herring and/or long strips of salmon next time that's my fave. Were you able to keep your gear on the bottom today?

And you wonder why alot of guides dont want to post on here???especially me..It was a great trip.

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

ah my bad fishspoon, i was confused. Try big herring and/or long strips of salmon next time that's my fave. Were you able to keep your gear on the bottom today?

Sometimes...when the tide move fast, I had to keep the outboard engine on as neutral..to keep the fishing line vertical and gear on the bottom.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

And you wonder why alot of guides dont want to post on here???especially me..It was a great trip.

Wolf
I like when you post your days fishing . I know you follow the rules to a letter of the law, I CAN SEE YOU AND YOUR GUESS HAD AN ASSUME WEEKED . Keep up with the reports it will keep the winers at bay.I"VE seen you on the water many times and at the dock you always help ME when I ask a question. I thank you for your help.boomer

You guys are just too sensitive LOL
I thought the same thing when I saw the pics but too lazy to write anything LOL
Whats the big deal with giving your fish away anyway??

JUST FISHEN'

I've fished with Roy a few times,absoutely goes by the rules and gets a little cranky about the guys on "the fringe"I too really enjoy his pictures and posts,and he has been more than forth coming with his knowledge and answers to my countless questions,although he has fun making me think.I saw 3 fish,look before you jump on someone.Dan

Lot's of action on chickens to just over 30lbs this morning
backside of Discovery...
we couldn't keep them off our new secret weapon :D:D;)

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

quote:Herring on Boomers homemade jig
quote:we couldn't keep them off our new secret weapon
Come on, throw us virtual fishers a bone while we sit 100's of km from the salt, tying gear, playing with our rods and reels in the garage and shopping on line for bigger boats. How about a another clue?
I'm set up to melt lead, I have a bunch of giant squid hootchies from Florida, stainless welding rods, chrome pipe from the junkyard, J hooks, 200lb mono, crimps, circle hooks, gangen chord, swivels, beads etc... My prawn puller is pretty well built. I need a new project to play with.
Congrats on the nice fish!

NOT Good-Friday...

Fished just north of Zero Rock (south of Darcy) for a couple of hours then moved south again and drifted (don't have my anchor-pkg yet) with big fresh herring for another couple of hours near Discovery... nothing.

Picked up around 4:00 then headed back north to scoop my prawn traps off Sidney.

Big surprise... they're gone!
Should've anchored'em I guess. Always been one to learn the hard way.

Back out today at low tide to see if they've popped up. Hope no one scooped'em.

On the upside, my new VHS works good and I used my GPS for the first time to take us back to the exact-spot where my prawn-traps weren't.

WTF?

There's always a 'Silver-lining'.

quote:Originally posted by tubber

quote:Herring on Boomers homemade jig
quote:we couldn't keep them off our new secret weapon
Come on, throw us virtual fishers a bone while we sit 100's of km from the salt, tying gear, playing with our rods and reels in the garage and shopping on line for bigger boats. How about a another clue?

Find yourself a whole Tuna, cut 8-10" strips off the belly
hook it up with a couple of your favourite hooks,( i use 2 trebles)
find a likely spot and send her down.
The Tuna is so oily, there's a trail flowing off when it hits the water.

Little Hawk, with some luck maybe someone will pick them up and call you, using the phone number on the floats! Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Tight lines,..........BB

I did last year found a trap off of brotchie ledge on a tuesday the guy put it down in cow bay on a sat. morning it drifted that far he was very surprsed I phoned him and very thankfull as he thought someone stole it.

Thanks rs, I think I have an old one in my freezer from a commercial buddy. June 28th will be my first chance to try it.

Back