Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

No fishing for me today, so it is time to do the second harvest on our 4 types of tomatoes on our front sundeck. Lots of fruit this year.

Candy Land are marble size, red and sweet.
Little Napoli
Romano
Sun Dippers.

I've given sample packs to all the neighbors.

Attachments

• Sept 2 Candy Land.jpg
    Sept 2 Candy Land.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 24
  • sept 2, Candy land plant..jpg
    sept 2, Candy land plant..jpg
    543 KB · Views: 28
  • Sept 2, candy land, L-Napoli, Sun dippers, Romano. 1.jpg
    Sept 2, candy land, L-Napoli, Sun dippers, Romano. 1.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Sept 2, little Napoli.jpg
    Sept 2, little Napoli.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 28
Overall my tomatoes have been just average this year.
A very hot spell in July seemed to keep the San Marzanos and Opalkas from setting fruit for a spell.
The one plant called a PIMG_20240904_160622580.jpgineapple has done well growing large yellow/orange beefsteak types.

Wow impressive haul. I’m hoping this stretch of sunny weather will bring on a major ripening. So far behind this year with my peppers and tomatoes.
My tomatoes are doing ok, but the peppers seem like they are like 6 weeks behind. That cold June and then 2 weeks in August really messed with the program. Although the lack of smoke and somewhat less terrible fire season is worth it to me.

Finally tomato’s and peppers are producing

Attachments

• IMG_2207.jpeg
    IMG_2207.jpeg
    281.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    490 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    340.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2211.jpeg
    IMG_2211.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2212.jpeg
    IMG_2212.jpeg
    503 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2213.jpeg
    IMG_2213.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 15
You got a good Burrata guy? Donald’s was out last week.

Also, you gotta come get some of this olive oil…
I was thinking that when we sat down for that meal! I need better oil. I usually get it from La Grotta but they sell out a lot. Believe it or not, Safeway always has it and it's great.

I was thinking that when we sat down for that meal! I need better oil. I usually get it from La Grotta but they sell out a lot. Believe it or not, Safeway always has it and it's great.
We usually go to Bosa, but it closes at 6 on weekdays so can’t always make it. The burrata at Donalds is not the good one, don’t bother with it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 14
My tomato plants have just about had it. Pruned back leaves a week ago has really helper them ripen.
Romano tomatoes this year have no seeds and solid meat and nice size\
The sweet red pepper plant is also showing signs of ripe peppers.

Attachments

• spet 9 Romano tomato plant.jpg
    spet 9 Romano tomato plant.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 12
  • spet 9 R tomatoes.jpg
    spet 9 R tomatoes.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 12
  • sept 9 sweet red peppers.jpg
    sept 9 sweet red peppers.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 12
I pruned back a bunch of leaves and it appears to have sped up the ripening process. I was getting concerned that this years crop would be a fail.
Peppers are looking ok. Should I be pruning back the leaves as well?

I pruned back a bunch of leaves and it appears to have sped up the ripening process. I was getting concerned that this years crop would be a fail.
Peppers are looking ok. Should I be pruning back the leaves as well?
I chopped mine way back mid August when I was satisfied that there was enough mature fruit. Left about 50% of the top leaves only. I think the rule of thumb is your only supposed to take off 30% if you're looking for continued production

I chopped mine way back mid August when I was satisfied that there was enough mature fruit. Left about 50% of the top leaves only. I think the rule of thumb is your only supposed to take off 30% if you're looking for continued production
Are you referring to your pepper plants or tomatoes?

A mama and two cubs just destroyed my wine grapes. Fack! Still lots left ready to pick but they sure made a mess

Attachments

• IMG_7447.jpeg
    IMG_7447.jpeg
    542.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7446.jpeg
    IMG_7446.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7449.jpeg
    IMG_7449.jpeg
    575.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7450.png
    IMG_7450.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Damn bears came back again early this morning from 3:30-4:15. Popped the inflatable pool too and took some more grapes. Anyone got any tips to keep them out? Cayenne on everything? Electrify the top of the fence lol.

Damn bears came back again early this morning from 3:30-4:15. Popped the inflatable pool too and took some more grapes. Anyone got any tips to keep them out? Cayenne on everything? Electrify the top of the fence lol.
I had this motion sensor sprinkler that worked like a hot damn on raccoons and squirrels and cats. Battery powered. It takes a bit of adjustment to get it right but works awesome

Back