Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Mine are much smaller and I started them at the end of February.
I started mine 1st week of April and then didn't put them outside until May 11th. But that was after killing three batches over the winter trying to start them early.

I started mine 1st week of April and then didn't put them outside until May 11th. But that was after killing three batches over the winter trying to start them early.
Maybe they had a chance to establish before the poo weather in June. I’m sure they’re thriving and I’m glad one sfbc member managed to grow some peppers this year 😂

Maybe they had a chance to establish before the poo weather in June. I’m sure they’re thriving and I’m glad one sfbc member managed to grow some peppers this year 😂
Well I'm pretty much just doing whatever you tell me so you can take all the credit.

They've grown anther 6" this past week. Peppers are starting to form. Fingers crossed.

Well I'm pretty much just doing whatever you tell me so you can take all the credit.

They've grown anther 6" this past week. Peppers are starting to form. Fingers crossed.
Awesome. If you want them to keep growing you can harvest the early peppers if there are only a few on the plant. If you let the peppers fully ripen early in the season the plant will have done its duty and won’t keep trying to produce. I’ve been pinching all my flowers to get the plants to grow bigger.

I don’t have a ton of space when I yank out my garlic but what can I plant in its place at this time of the year? The wife and I aren’t fans of green beans.
Depending where you are, root crops are always good for a fall/winter harvest. I’ve also been able to sneak in zukes after garlic, but depending on the fall weather that doesn’t always work

Garlic harvested yesterday - a tad late but wanted the temps down below 30 C to do so.

rvJbrzZ.jpeg

Somewhat smaller sizes than I am used to. Guessing a reflection of the cool spring and summer until the last little while.

ENQ3gca.jpeg

Now hanging to cure:

6pKXLKw.jpeg

We'll eat about 1/2 of that lot, and the other half will get turned into a granulated garlic powder mix.

Cheers

Garlic harvested yesterday - a tad late but wanted the temps down below 30 C to do so.

rvJbrzZ.jpeg

Somewhat smaller sizes than I am used to. Guessing a reflection of the cool spring and summer until the last little while.

ENQ3gca.jpeg

Now hanging to cure:

6pKXLKw.jpeg

We'll eat about 1/2 of that lot, and the other half will get turned into a granulated garlic powder mix.

Cheers
Likely to do with planting 6 different varieties, but we had crazy mixed results. Varying from pretty damn good to pathetic. Most of the good ones will go to next years crop I'm guessing. 20240718_193452.jpg

Most of the good ones will go to next years crop I'm guessing.

Used to do that myself, but always disliked putting my best back into the ground rather than eating them.

Around a decade ago now, I decided to explore other options. If you have the room and a little patience, you might want to consider this method.

The scapes eventually ripen into a bulbil packing sphere. I leave around a half dozen to do this each year now. These are this years still in the ground to finish ripening:

Oq03Pzb.jpeg

Eventually they will look like this and are close to harvest time:

CP2XewL.jpg

I cure these in mesh bags, then hang for the winter in our cold room.

iGKrvwy.jpg

In the spring the individual bulbils get separated and planted into planters' boxes. They grow quickly over the summer:

1LJnuDK.jpeg

These produce singular small clones - most will not be sectioned cloves, rather singular and about the size of a marble.
And these are what we plant that same fall:

Z3jsxbN.jpg

L0IbFm9.jpg

That allows us to chow down on the best we produce, and we still get full sized bulbs from those plantings.

ENQ3gca.jpg

Win Win in my books.

Cheers

Used to do that myself, but always disliked putting my best back into the ground rather than eating them.

Around a decade ago now, I decided to explore other options. If you have the room and a little patience, you might want to consider this method.

The scapes eventually ripen into a bulbil packing sphere. I leave around a half dozen to do this each year now. These are this years still in the ground to finish ripening:

Oq03Pzb.jpeg

Eventually they will look like this and are close to harvest time:

CP2XewL.jpg

I cure these in mesh bags, then hang for the winter in our cold room.

iGKrvwy.jpg

In the spring the individual bulbils get separated and planted into planters' boxes. They grow quickly over the summer:

1LJnuDK.jpeg

These produce singular small clones - most will not be sectioned cloves, rather singular and about the size of a marble.
And these are what we plant that same fall:

Z3jsxbN.jpg

L0IbFm9.jpg

That allows us to chow down on the best we produce, and we still get full sized bulbs from those plantings.

ENQ3gca.jpg

Win Win in my books.

Cheers
Love it. Thank you.

Last edited:
gjuly.jpggjuly 1524.jpg
Did ours July 15th, nothing spectacular but better than last year. 105 bulbs , Has anyone noticed bulb size vs distance apart we've been doing a 6"x 6" grid? Regards

Back