Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Never seen one of these buggers before. Over 2” long. Giant water bug and also called a toe biter lol. We poked it and it buried itself in the ground.

This isn’t really gardening related as these things are typically in marshes but it was creepy to see it run across the driveway and dive into the ground
Groooossssss

Picked my garlic today biggest harvest i have had since started doing this 3 years ago. Could have waited till a few more of the leaves turned brown and died back but harvested at this stage last year and lasted over 10 months. Wanted to make room to plant green beans.

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpeg
    IMG_1894.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1892.jpeg
    IMG_1892.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1891.jpeg
    IMG_1891.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1889.jpeg
    IMG_1889.jpeg
    771.7 KB · Views: 16
I don’t have a ton of space when I yank out my garlic but what can I plant in its place at this time of the year? The wife and I aren’t fans of green beans.

Ideally you'd have some starter plants ready to pop in. But from seed lettuce, carrots, rutabagas, beets.
Start some radicchio, spinach, bulb fennel, purple sprouting broccoli, and or savoy cabbage to go in soon.
Leave room to put new garlic in because the new stuff might still be going when it's time to plant it again.

I don’t have a ton of space when I yank out my garlic but what can I plant in its place at this time of the year? The wife and I aren’t fans of green beans.
You could get a crop of taters off.

Mine are just coming off now. Front yard is south facing so thats where the magic happens.

Attachments

• PXL_20240716_215129194.jpg
    PXL_20240716_215129194.jpg
    779.8 KB · Views: 21
They do like their feed, specifically at flower set and after they are pollinated.
I've been burying salmon carcasses next to my fruit trees for the last 3 years except 1 as a control. The unfertilized tree is about 1/3 the size of the others and has yet to bear fruit (figs). I just dig a 2' hole at the drip edge of the tree and drop in a bunch of heads, guts and spines and cover it back up. Typically this happens in Sept/Oct and I highly recommend.

I've been burying salmon carcasses next to my fruit trees for the last 3 years except 1 as a control. The unfertilized tree is about 1/3 the size of the others and has yet to bear fruit (figs). I just dig a 2' hole at the drip edge of the tree and drop in a bunch of heads, guts and spines and cover it back up. Typically this happens in Sept/Oct and I highly recommend.
My chinese neighbours make a stew and just pour that sh*t on everything. Smells awesome.

Left my peppers out in the cold in June and they’re all stunted and new growth is deformed. Definite fail there. Went and bought some starts from the nursery as a last ditch effort to save the season. Lucky for me I still have 2 gallons of hot sauce left from last year, so at least I won’t be buying store bought for a while.

Tomatoes are doing really well and we just pulled our garlic. In the garlic bed we planted basil, mustard and collard greens.

Attachments

• IMG_9467.jpeg
    IMG_9467.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 14
Back