Chilcotin Slide

Soon to be in the chuck:

Taxes

thanks for posting that and clearing up any misunderstanding. I have been there and have seen the operation and the lines that go out into the the river and direct the debris into the trap and easily visible. Also good to know it was operating as I wasn't sure it operated other than during the spring freshet. The trap reduces property damages and saves lives. Floating logs and woody debris are a serious risk to boaters and marine traffic. Before it operated stories of boats sunk by collisions were common before the trap began to operate in 1979.

So looking at the latest videos there looks to be a cascade or falls towards the bottom of the cutt through the slide that looks impassable. The water looks troublingly soupy as well. Any idea if DFO is testing to see if it's below levels that may affect salmon migration?

I thought the river cut a natural passage thru the slides? I am sure all the silt took its toll on the fish.
Yes, the river cut through a passage but it looks like it's too steep for any kind of salmon passage. Basically a natural barrier. Have not heard of any kind of plan other than talk that they were going to do something if salmon couldn't get up there. Was curious if anyone heard of any plans by the province or DFO to address this. I did write my MLA but have not heard back.

I mean, what do you realistically expect them to do? There is really nothing that can be done right now. The river bank along the whole river is super unstable so no one in their right mind would dare to send crews or machinery near this river. The river is full of mud and debris and no chance to catch any fish even far downstream. These fish are doomed, no matter how you look at it.

Small numbers of sockeye and springs have been apparently been getting past the slide according to monitering.

Hopefully conditions continue to improve as the bulk of the sockeye will be showing in another week.

We should see an update soon from DFO.
Wow! Amazing what salmon can to do. Encouraging to hear and hopefully more can make it past.

In your opinion is there anything further DFO or the Province can do to get more salmon past the slide?

Dave can probably give a
better insight and knowledge on ways to help. Trapping and transportation in the lower section would.be my first guess if the salmon are still having trouble in a few weeks.

As I have stated before the time has come to supplement some of the major upper Fraser tribs with hatcheries.

Dave can probably give a
better insight and knowledge on ways to help. Trapping and transportation in the lower section would.be my first guess if the salmon are still having trouble in a few weeks.

As I have stated before the time has come to supplement some of the major upper Fraser tribs with hatcheries.
I don't know much more ... just over 500 sockeye have been counted past the slide. I know of at least one hatchery proposed on the Nechako, near Prince George.

A good fb page to check out is by the T’silquotin National Government. They have regular updates and apparently are working on mitigation plans.

Back