Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha ha -- no, not quite that far -- should have mentioned, we were in a super-secret spot called 7mi that nobody knows about :) shhhh

Ha ha for sure. Never heard of the place. I wonder where it could be

I'm gonna try to find it this weekend

Slivo your wife and her buddy were a riot at the dance!!

I can't believe you didn't leave her for me!!! LOL

Some friend.

Jeff

I just had an awesome fishing experience. We stayed at Eaglenook Lodge near Vernon Bay fishing offshore with guided boats by Lucky Fishing Charters. Guides Jeff and Tori literally kept us busy reeling in springs constantly with last count 15 double headers. Offshore about 10 miles using spoons and hoochies seemed to work the best. The lodge was simply exceptional with manager Glen overseeing the gourmet wining and dining. All fish for the group of eleven was vacuumed packed and ready for the flights home on the water taxi for our departure this morning. I was given this trip by an Alberta firm and probably would have balked at the cost on my own but what a treat.

Just returned from a quick trip to Bamfield - stayed at the Nook.
Friday evening, out along the wall and Yankee Bay, lots of coho action and just one keeper.
Sat am, out offshore a few miles and managed a 26 spring and a few coho to about 14 pounds, bumped down along Brady's and Whittlestone and a couple more decent coho.
Sat pm down the wall again and managed 2 nice springs about 16-18 pounds and 4 coho.
Sunday am fished close to the nook and managed a couple more nice coho and a 15lb spring.

All in all, nice weather and calm... amazing fishing for coho with non-stop action. coho taking the gear right on the surface and any depth. Primarily used plastic this trip. got fish as shallow as 15ft and down to about 50, didnt have to venture much deeper than that.

4 guys came home with limits of beautiful coho and some springs mixed in. Nook is half-empty, never seen it so quiet!

Sat pm down the wall again and managed 2 nice springs about 16-18 pounds and 4 coho.
Sunday am fished close to the nook and managed a couple more nice coho and a 15lb spring.
4 guys came home with limits of beautiful coho and some springs mixed in. Nook is half-empty, never seen it so quiet!

Springs on the wall and close to the Nook released of course, as the sound is closed for springs...

Actually along the wall fish under 77 cm can be kept. We put a fish that was pretty much exactly at 77 cm on the scales last week at MacKay Bay and a 15 pounder is about the limit.

Fished all last week offshore... great bites all over the big bank - everything seemed to be working and depths were from 77 down to 180 for us ( best was 145 - 165 tho ). Lots of teener sized springs but not too many over 20. Our biggest was 26, 22 and 21 - but the volume made up for size.
We found hali fishing scratchy, so thanks to 'Trophywife' for a spot that gave us a pair.
And another thanks to Ken at 'Rocky Point Charters' who gave me a great tip on where to fish the 'dinosaur' which got us the 3 bigger fish.
The area south of the Hockey stick had a swarm of coho pass by so we put out the smaller 10 and 15 size Xrap rapalas ( 8 surface lines ) and had a mini tuna practice - it was a blast!

A few showers last night lol ,
wow , what a monsoon , 4 inches of rain in 6-8 hours
fishing remains excellent ,
inshore Coho the best in some time ,
still a great number of chinook in the sound below 77cm
went offshore yesterday , was a FLAT day forsure , guessing the tuner guys made a run
fished 10 mile ta 12 mile , took a while ta get dialed in , bite really came on around 11 am ,
fast and furious , fish ta the low 20 lbs , 130 - 160 ft was best , hoochies ....
hit 2 sockeye at 150 ft lol....????
but , seen a few fish just shy of 30 all weekend long ,
also thx ta Bod and Trophywife for there reports , put us on the fish offshore immediately, appreciate that ,

get out here guys , WAY better than last August for sure
were loaded and packed , hittin the road soon ,

The Nook is FAR from empty ?? was packed on the weekend ???

later

Yes , please remember , springs over 77 cm must be released in the sound , around 12-13 lbs max
i put a mark on my harpoon for fast easy measurements ?? for hali as well....

later

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Not having fished Barclay sound myself, this may be a dumb question...
What stops people from retaining big Springs in the sound, and saying they were caught offshore ?
I realize that part of the restrictions fall into the "Honor system".

Fished Barcley and area this past weekend for the third weekend in a row and ya the weekend warrior thing is fun but it does tend to tire a guy out after a while but I am not complaining I would rather be there any day than an office, however I digress

Fishing was good as has been stated. The Bam wall down to Yankee Bay produced Ho's and springs.

Tried to make it offshore Saturday but the seas repelled us back

When to Meares,Cree etc Sunday am for a short one and hit a good amount of fish for us the action was all on anchovy

FogDucker,I was hoping to meet and have a chat but just seemed to miss ya, I appreciate all the reports you post

I did think the Nook was a little light for boat traffic for August

Had a family member hire a guide mid week and they caught a 16 lb and it just came in at 77 cm,so nice fish to be had

What stops people from retaining big Springs in the sound, and saying they were caught offshore ?

a good question and i guess it applies to any area with similar restrictions. we noticed everyone keeping very sharp eyes out on everyone else this past weekend, could be a good thing i guesS?

Honour system is key - thing that may help in Bamfield is the distance one has to "fish offshore" to get the big ones... i guess if you are fishing the lower sound and you have some slabs, doesnt look too good IMO.

we only released one over 77cm in sound, the rest we kept were 66-77cms and one of the fattest females i have ever seen - 75cms and weighed in just under 18. flip side, had one the same length about 74cms and it was 14lbs.

Plus DFO are experts with Navionics and may request to see your slime trail from that day. Mines turned off on My Lorance Elite, but it still tracks where you were and they can check it if they want. Not worth it. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back