Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any info on the weather /wind conditions offshore.
I have been watching Enviro Canada reports , doesn't sound good. Hoping to get out to fish Hali, next week. Will be there over the Aug long weekend. Any info would be appreciated. How far out have people been able to fish?

Depends on how big your boat is and how rugged you are, lol.

Ran to Big Bank today waist of time and fuel swells were breaking so headed into the sound lots of coho and a couple decent springs but nothing compared to offshore with reasonable conditions. If the intervals are short ( 6 - 9 seconds ) with 2 meter seas with high winds stay inside even if its slower. Just my opinion.

Buddies fished. 5 mile cause they cannot get they're gear deep because of wind and swell.. So.. Mid column springs.. So make a run to five mile early.

Back from another 3 days in the sound.
Was able to work Cree inside and outside, when got tired of bouncing simply moved inside for some more sheltered fishing.
No limits this weekend, but MUCH bigger fish than last weekend, spring in the teens and coho in the high singles.
Still lots of small springs around.
There was a huge number of boats at Effingham and Swale! At least 30 at each spot.

Ran to Big Bank today waist of time and fuel swells were breaking so headed into the sound lots of coho and a couple decent springs but nothing compared to offshore with reasonable conditions. If the intervals are short ( 6 - 9 seconds ) with 2 meter seas with high winds stay inside even if its slower. Just my opinion.

Is there a good online resource for showing swell height and interval for the area?

I get all my swell info from swellwatch. Just put in surfer magazine into google and then go to their swell watch section. Very accurate

I find Swellwatch accurate, but there was a smaller swell and much less wind at Big Bank last Sunday than predicted. On the other hand South Bank looked like it said it should as we passed by. Big Wave Dave for Long Beach is decent too. La Perouse Buoy is current and real and not a model.
In my small boat I usually head out of Ukee and take a look and then let my gut decide whether I should join the inside fishers, which can be better than South Bank this year. I don't go to Big Bank unless I'm crewing on a bigger boat or it is flat and clear and predicted to stay that way.

Forgot to mention, our hot set up was a #5 blue and silvier coyote behind a flasher, 72+", took lots of coho and a 26lb spring

fellas

just back from a week of hammering the Sound with Marco
Friday ta Friday , from what i heard of the weather , wasnt quite as clear n hot As the Coast , most mornings we woke up ta fairly heavy fog , even in the sound , had the radar goin fairy steady till 10 or 11 am most mornings , kept us cool atleast !!sun would usually be out in full swing at the cleaning stations , makin frosty Bevy's that much more enjoyable , Got ta meet alot of new faces , some from this forum !!

havent really been following the Tuna Shoot-Out much , guys were talkin about it quite abit at the docks , We will be in Europe ,havent kept up ta date
i was asked if tickets were still available , here is the link if ur reding this.....http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...amfield-Tuna-Shootout&highlight=tuna+shootout
sounds like its gonna be quite a success...

anyways ta the fishin , Most days seem ta be on the windy side , stuck are noses out at the surfline a couple of times , couldnt be bothered ,We left our Big Girl Panties at home Ken : )
fishin was pretty steady on the inside anyways , my findings , Inner Sound ,Diplock and Swale was ok i guess , mostly smaller springs , not a bad number of Coho ,
we released most of our fish , not knowing what the week would bring , a GOOD decission...day 3 took us to the Gibraltar shoreline , we immediately got into a good school of 12-14 springs , and as many coho as ya needed , again released most , kept a couple of bleeders , moved on to Sail Rock and Southbank " DEAD DEAD DEAD " a few undersize at Turtle , most radio chatter seemed discouraging , so we moved along..
then , off ta cree for an evening fish , marked a few fish , released a couple of wild coho , slipped into Turtle Island , relaxed with a a couple chilled bevys and a few souvlakis on the grill , a good night sleep on the hook..
so , let the gong show begin , next morning ,off ta Austin and Cree , HOLY CRAP , with only a few boats there ta share the day with , we landed over 10-15 springs that day ,lost count,,, most 12-20 lbs , a few in the mid 20's , one just shy of 30 , No Tyees for us the whole week , never heard of many either , anyways , all fish were really close to the shorelines , 20-50 feet was key , most on spoons with LONG leaders , or no flasher at all , The White turd also went off a few times , anyways , what a great day ,
so obviously back the following morning ,to the amusement of 50 ta 60 boats , pretty sure i seen every local guide out there as well , including a few from Uki , word really gets out quickly , fishing was not a s good as the prior day , but steady , lotsa a coho again , seemed like most had fish and smiles ,we decided ta opt outta the crowd the next day , went and got our white meat around the corner of the broken group insted , easy limits , had our hali in 20 minutes , first one took the rod right outta the rod holder , less than 10 seconds out , we had our backs turned , thank god for the lanyard , just under 50lbs i believe that one was , got the heart goin for sure..

We didnt bother getting offshore , as stated in an earlier post , the wind has just not co-operated this summer , there were guys heading out ta Rats Nose , did very well , both Halibut and medium Springs , but took a bit of a beating , no thanks , inside kept us entertained...

didnt bother goin out the last mornin , we were pretty beat-up , we did talk ta several that came back early with limits of springs from the wall , trolled back down ta the nook with the wind , pretty sure they were caught on anchovy's ,

just a reminder , No Chinooks greater than 77 cm can be retained inside all of Barkley Sound as of August 1 , and ZERO Chinook in the Inlet ,
as mentioned on another site , the enforcements are present , and on the water , we met them twice !! nice ta see !!

later

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
just got back from a wensday - sunday trip, stayed in Bamfield at the imperial eagle, not a drop of rain but foggy and some wind making for less then ideal offshore conditions, I wanted to get out there but it stayed just rough enough to keep us on the inside...

all the days were all verry consistant, smaller springs under 10# kept us busy pretty well throughout the day countless double headers deffinitly action packed!!...with 1 or 2 big hookups a day, brought home 3 big boys 16, 20, 24, lost another 20ish to a seal, who let me drag him to the boat only to peel away and snap the line!!...*******!!

fished mostly beal as that was where we were getting the most action and larger fish, made one run to king edward and effingham with nothing to show except 2 shakers...lots of boats at effingham

ended up getting 2, 20# hali dragging the bottom just inside the sound of whittle stone...was a nice bonus

everything caught on spoons with long leaders behind flasher, cop car, silver horde produced

it was nice to get out on the westcoast again, need to do it more often

Attachments

• bamfield 2013 002.jpg
    bamfield 2013 002.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 503
  • bamfield 2013 009.jpg
    bamfield 2013 009.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 508
  • bamfield 2013 012.jpg
    bamfield 2013 012.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 500
good fish chubber!! thanks for the update!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back