Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Honor system". or caught red handed ,
didnt see the enforcement on the water this weekend , but there round !!!

lots of springs under 77cm still inside , and LOTS of bigger fish 7 mile all the way ta Rats...

i personally seen 3- 4 overs released carefully from the wall this weekend ,
guys chuckled , a quick pic , and back they went...

DFO getting into your GPS trail ? thats comical , you were jokin i hope ....

fd

Not having fished Barclay sound myself, this may be a dumb question...
What stops people from retaining big Springs in the sound, and saying they were caught offshore ?
I realize that part of the restrictions fall into the "Honor system".

Hey
ya , guess your right , forgot that it is August already lol, where did that go ..
usually alot busier , we left today , was pretty quiet there ,
lotsa boats , not many fishin ?? i prefer it that way : )

hope ya had a gd outting

catch ya next time Tides ..

Forgot ta mention the Road comin in , BRUTAL , poor conditions , 3 broken down vehicles on the way out yesterday ,
a 24 ish boat made the mistake of towin in yesterday , busted his trailer up pretty bad ,
almost 2 hours to get out , washboard almost the whole way out , a few sections that i felt like i was 4x4ing ?? wtf ???
take your time , you will be fine , doable , just a pain in da azzz

fd

Fished Barcley and area this past weekend for the third weekend in a row and ya the weekend warrior thing is fun but it does tend to tire a guy out after a while but I am not complaining I would rather be there any day than an office, however I digress

Fishing was good as has been stated. The Bam wall down to Yankee Bay produced Ho's and springs.

Tried to make it offshore Saturday but the seas repelled us back

When to Meares,Cree etc Sunday am for a short one and hit a good amount of fish for us the action was all on anchovy

FogDucker,I was hoping to meet and have a chat but just seemed to miss ya, I appreciate all the reports you post

I did think the Nook was a little light for boat traffic for August

Had a family member hire a guide mid week and they caught a 16 lb and it just came in at 77 cm,so nice fish to be had

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on the West Coast and fished the Barkley Sound today. We fished from around Poett's Nook all the way to the Wall. Had one fish on, lost it, and then we watched a lot of other people catching coho. One guy by himself commented, "I have caught a few, but lost about a dozen." He said they were biting on everything (although unfortunately not what I had on)and he said he was using a pink & green hootchie at 30 feet . Others on the radio said they were catching anywhere from 2-11 coho. I tried everything from pink hootchies to various spoons.

You know the day is off when the cannonball hit a rock cod on a shallow spot and the fish floats in circle to the surface?!

As for us, it was great to be out on the water - an incredible flat morning, and then the wind picked up with vengeance at noon, but no more bites all day.
Still learning....and being humbled by the fish:p

RiverBoy, I am curious. How do they figure out your trail when it is turned off?

Dunno. I'm just quoting what Jason ? one of the fisheries officers based out of Tahsis told me a couple of years ago. I flat out asked him how they could possibly enforce the ridiculous coho boundaries they have in Nootka.He said they can check your slime trail. I guess as long as your unit is on they can track it. I guess a guy could just turn the unit off from time to time if he wahted to cheat. They also have "ghost" boats that they move around the west coast. The one out there right now is a little 17' white hard top. Its just not worth it. Fly above the law. theres lots of fish out there.

Fishing is great offshore from 10 mile out to the big bank. White turds, betsy spoons, tomic spoons all been great. Some decent fish between 60-100 feet most days.

Coho is honestly the best inshore that I've seen in years so thank heavens for that. Although it's tough to find a guide boat inshore unless he's already got his springs... lol.

Plus DFO are experts with Navionics and may request to see your slime trail from that day. Mines turned off on My Lorance Elite, but it still tracks where you were and they can check it if they want. Not worth it. IMO
I understand anybody going into 77cm areas next year will be required to have a gps chip implanted on them which reports directly to the DFO office in Ottawa. I am getting an ample supply of tinfoil for making into hats and scrapping all my electronics and going back to lead core sounding line!! Just sayin-you heard it here first folks!! LOL

Sounds like a good time to get my kids in on some coho action. Gonna spend sat sun out there staying on the boat at The Nook sat night...might even invite my wife.
Anyone at the nook this weekend?

I understand anybody going into 77cm areas next year will be required to have a gps chip implanted on them which reports directly to the DFO office in Ottawa. I am getting an ample supply of tinfoil for making into hats and scrapping all my electronics and going back to lead core sounding line!! Just sayin-you heard it here first folks!! LOL

Can I put my order in for one tin foil hat? Lol

PWPort, and anyone else for that matter... we tried a new hootchie last week that was whitish/purple haze and it slayed the coho. It seemed the coho were biting anything and anywhere, but this one particular hootchie was on fire. we fished literally 15-46 feet along the wall and other areas and got into them. In addition, they would take the hootch when reeling in the line while checking the lures, and also while clipping in on the surface.

nothing special, 40-48" leads.

we cut across from the bam wall to south east corner of Sanford , wanted ta get there quick , get out of the pak , we hit our last 4 coho before we made it there , 4. 5 mph ....SPEED-UP..... 15-45 feet.....white 4.0 spoons , purple haze white hoochies , trex needle , glow needle fish with pink dots were non stop action ( pink version of clover leaf ) pnt coombs

salmon were loaded wit 3-4 in herring inside and offshore , 3.5 - 4,0 spoons !!!!

gd lk

fd

PWPort, and anyone else for that matter... we tried a new hootchie last week that was whitish/purple haze and it slayed the coho. It seemed the coho were biting anything and anywhere, but this one particular hootchie was on fire. we fished literally 15-46 feet along the wall and other areas and got into them. In addition, they would take the hootch when reeling in the line while checking the lures, and also while clipping in on the surface.

nothing special, 40-48" leads.

Once into the yoyo's i like to switch over to a 3.5" spoon .. No flasher, set the clip lighter, set the drags lighter and have a blast letting these coconuts scream all-over, sometimes turn the motor off and give the fisher or me a true sporting battle.. Awesome fun.. Had one at benson stun itself by jumping into the side of the boat. Others circling around it.. What a hoot!!! Siwash hooks help keep em on:)!! Got into 30 plus behind chrow island last week.. Biggest hatch was 11 lbs!!

Thanks for all the reports. Heading to the sound July 23-25 hope the fishing and weather continues to cooperate. Cheers,

Sounds like a good time to get my kids in on some coho action. Gonna spend sat sun out there staying on the boat at The Nook sat night...might even invite my wife.
Anyone at the nook this weekend?

We will be down at the cabin in Julia on sat for a few days. Plan to fish the Bamfield side on sunday, give me a call on Channel 06
Islandgirl

Once into the yoyo's i like to switch over to a 3.5" spoon .. No flasher, set the clip lighter, set the drags lighter and have a blast letting these coconuts scream all-over, sometimes turn the motor off and give the fisher or me a true sporting battle.. Awesome fun.. Had one at benson stun itself by jumping into the side of the boat. Others circling around it.. What a hoot!!! Siwash hooks help keep em on:)!! Got into 30 plus behind chrow island last week.. Biggest hatch was 11 lbs!!

Ok - there is something wrong with me or the boat....although I did check the speed - was going the same speed as everyone else - but maybe way too slow then (as my gps did say 2.5 mph) & FD said 4.5mph. Man - this really makes me want to go out tomorrow --- I knew I shouldn't have read this today (I just said I would take my "boss" out on Wednesday, so I need to figure this coho deal out).

my point was ta go a little quicker than normal , lotsa turns etc , make things erratic ,
get away from the monkey see monkey do areas , i hit most of my fish outta the pac ,
especially if theve seen half there brothers and sisters get whacked , or scraped by a thousand lures lol ,
they want somthing different , or at times they just shut right down all together,
im talkin inside Barkley , where they may not be as aggressive as
out in the big water,,

m2b

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes sense - will keep trying. Always listening...and hopefully learning too :)
my point was ta go a little quicker than normal , lotsa turns etc , make things erratic ,
get away from the monkey see monkey do areas , i hit most of my fish outta the pac ,
especially if theve seen half there brothers and sisters get whacked , or scraped by a thousand lures lol ,
they want somthing different , or at times they just shut right down all together,
im talkin inside Barkley , where they may not be as aggressive as
out in the big water,,

m2b

fd

Heading up to Bamfield next Sunday for a few days. Might brave the tow in on the road, how is it looking this week?
Towing a 19 foot welded aluminum. The boat trip is alway nice, but it's a load to pack everything in the boat for the trip.
Don't get very good fuel economy when loaded down heavy...

The road was pretty bad when we come out friday evening. However, the graders were working so maybe it has improved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back