Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

That's what makes politics a tricky endeavor. Too bad if it may be a hard choice! Political parties need to take a stand on this issue like all the other important issues. We need leaders, not wafflers!

Here's the PSF's take on it:

Some good news on the lard based salmon farming front - more power to them! The sooner we get the poluuting, disease spreading net pen farms out of the ocean and onto land the better!!!

https://chekplus.ca/m/NsOLgik7/way-...-fish-farm-near-port-mcneill-called-a-success

Way of the future’: Land-based fish farm near Port McNeill called a success

by Dean Stoltz September 16, 2024 6:25 pm

On a piece of land near Port McNeill, well away from ocean waters, an American company is raising steelhead trout and says it’s economically viable to do so.

“It’s an economical business to run, and our ownership group is happy with the results at this time, and with the change to steelhead, we actually believe we can maximize the output of the farm,” general manager Kody Smith told CHEK News.

The Kuterra farm was originally opened in 2013 by the Namgis First Nation to raise Atlantic salmon, but the small size of the operation, along with the trial and error nature of being the first land-based farm in North America, made it hard to make any money.

The Namgis have now been leasing the land to Whole Oceans, based in Iowa, since 2019.

Difficulty getting Atlantic salmon smolts resulted in the switch to steelhead last year.

“Well, on a piece count basis, there’s probably somewhere in the hundred to 110,000 fish per year roughly. We’re targeting roughly 300 metric times of production,” Smith added.

He says that’s far less than the tens of thousands of tons produced by open-net farms, but there is high demand for Kuterra fish, and it’s all sold in B.C.

Fish are harvested when they are a little over two kilograms (about 4.5 pounds), and there are three cycles of fish every year.

“B.C. it’s a more costly venture, but you know it’s doable and safer for the environment to have them on land, and we have proven that here,” said Namgis Chief elected councillor Victor Isaac.

“I absolutely believe it’s the way of the future,” said past Chief Don Svanvik.

“They’re in China. They’re in Japan. They’re all over Europe, and I think there’s even one in Saudi Arabia.”

Story continues below

WEB-STOLTZ-2024-09-16_01108.jpg

It cost $10 million to build the small operation in 2013, half of which was paid for by taxpayers.

Larger scale farms that would be needed for a full transition to land from open net farms could be cost prohibitive.

Kuterra says it works at reducing hydro costs all the time, and freshwater is also a challenge.

“We do use electricity and we use freshwater that comes from our aquifer here. We do replenish that aquifer with our clean and treated water, and for cleaning the water, we use mechanical filtration as well as biological filtration, and then we need to make sure we are happy and healthy,” said Kuterra.

The waste from the fish is used by a third party to make fertilizer.

Growers are waiting for the federal government to release a transition plan for aquaculture companies.

The Liberal government has given fish farmers a five-year extension on their open-net fish farms but says they have to be out of the water in 2029.

It’s hoped that the transition plan, which was promised by the end of July, will detail how that will work.

Pretty damn sad IMO that it doesn't seem to matter what political party is in power they just bow to the pressure from big corporate interests and the local people and environment we all need to live, gets screwed time and time again! 😡

Last edited:
Should see the next few year be decent based on the cooler ocean conditions we had over the last 3 year.

but ultimately over next 30-50 years will probably see salmon stocks continue to decline like Those south of us

And it’s not like we should not see some improvement, there is pretty much no commercial fishing any more, the south coast Rec is pretty much shut down till July 15.. coho and chinook on the inside have been increasing but that trend started a few years ago while fish farms were all still in play.

I think fish farms can effect the magnitude of the change but I don’t think there the reason why Russia had a record harvest of pinks this year.

I do find it funny tho how I said a few years ago that salmon stocks were not all doom and gloom and some have been steadily
Improving showed evidence o was a lier.

But elmo shows a graph this year and it’s taken as gospel and all a sudden all the antis are like salmon stocks are
Improving it must be because they removed the fish farms

If all the farms were still here Elmo would be saying how bad all the returns are show you graphs of the ones that declined this yeahand you would all be believe it.

It’s nice to see tho people stop pushing the sky is falling when it comes to salmon populations

Should see the next few year be decent based on the cooler ocean conditions we had over the last 3 year.

but ultimately over next 30-50 years will probably see salmon stocks continue to decline like Those south of us

And it’s not like we should not see some improvement, there is pretty much no commercial fishing any more, the south coast Rec is pretty much shut down till July 15.. coho and chinook on the inside have been increasing but that trend started a few years ago while fish farms were all still in play.

I think fish farms can effect the magnitude of the change but I don’t think there the reason why Russia had a record harvest of pinks this year.

I do find it funny tho how I said a few years ago that salmon stocks were not all doom and gloom and some have been steadily
Improving showed evidence o was a lier.

But elmo shows a graph this year and it’s taken as gospel and all a sudden all the antis are like salmon stocks are
Improving it must be because they removed the fish farms

If all the farms were still here Elmo would be saying how bad all the returns are show you graphs of the ones that declined this yeahand you would all be believe it.

It’s nice to see tho people stop pushing the sky is falling when it comes to salmon populations

Nice ,so @wildmanyeah was bang on with his prediction 👌

More coho’s around too. Haven’t seen that many coho’s since the 80’s.
Two years in a row doesn’t make a trend so we will wait and see how the next few come in.

I was talking about Campbell river where they said there is more whales around

Well I got one out front of SH

Vancouver started getting way more tyee s
After they put in the rec restrictions a few years ago,

No doubt everyone else having to release chinook over 80 has helped the local Vancouver fishery

Port alberni, Campbell river tyee pool seem to be a different story this year

Last edited:
Maybe the remaining farms now have little to no impact. Still some farms in the Broughton and the runs are high again ..... even Elmo says so.

Almost no commercial trolling and very short seasons for rec fishing. If there is no uptick in fish numbers now (springs and coho) there never will be. Those runs that are targeted by in river fisheries (early stuart sockeye for instance) will never see significant improvements IMO.

Vancouver started getting way more tyee s
After they put in the rec restrictions a few years ago,

No doubt everyone else having to release chinook over 80 has helped the local Vancouver fishery

Port alberni, Campbell river tyee pool seem to be a different story this year
Well the article I referenced didn’t mention Campbell River but maybe that is where all those fish they saw on the video were headed.
The fish I caught and actually kept were very fresh so I don’t think they were plus 80 releases that were just hanging around the mouth of the Fraser. We had some heavy rain late in August that surely sent some on their way and when the September fishery opened they were quite fresh.
See what the next couple of years brings and maybe it will sway a few of the Pro Open Net Farmers to recognize the ability of the Salmon to flourish in the Farms absence.

referenced didn’t mention Campbell River

Fair enough said it alerts bay, that area and port McNeil, port Hardy all area with similar stocks of fish and where NRKW hang out

See what the next couple of years brings and maybe it will sway a few of the Pro Open Net Farmers to recognize the ability of the Salmon to flourish in the Farms absence.

We’re in the most restrictive harvest regime the west coast salmon have ever been under.

God I hope they continue to do well

Almost no commercial trolling and very short seasons for rec fishing. If there is no uptick in fish numbers now (springs and coho) there never will be. Those runs that are targeted by in river fisheries (early stuart sockeye for instance) will never see significant improvements IMO.
When was the last year that a commercial trolling coho fishery was allowed in the Georgia Straight? It’s probably been at least 3 decades.

Wow, only thirty years late.

Back