Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

Who cares what species - any net pen farm is an environmental hazard to wild salmon and the surrounding marine environment! Get them all out of the water and onto land where their negative environmental impacts can be better managed! The time for this is way overdue!!! :mad:

sometimes i wonder if there is someone out there that thinks the exactly the same way about sports fishing. just black and white, get them off the water or else
naaa cant be anyone right?

IMO this is a weak comparison that makes little logical sense. Comparing a sustainable practice participated in for thousands of years, part of cultures the world over, that is enshrined in case law going back the the Magna Carta vs. a modern unsustainable industry practiced by multi-national corporations with a track record of environmental damage wherever it takes place makes little sense to me.

Sounds more like a flawed scare tactic by a desperate industry to continue their unsustainable, polluting industry by any means/argument they can think of, me thinks.

If you were not complaining about fish farms you would be complaining about Jimmy Patterson seines

I’m not a huge supporter of out right bans I believe there there is better regulations that give everyone an opportunity

Go fish in a lake where your can catch and release harm can be kept to stocked trout

Leave the oven for the whales keep your polluting noisy boat out of their habitat stop playing with their food

I am sure the rest of Canada gives a hoot about your sport.

Magna Carta your not a poor pesant trying to get food in your 100k Grady spending 800 bucks on fuel.

Last edited:
I really do hate one sided articles that do not consider options , or solutions.
It's true, that eliminating FF's will impact those involved in this industry assuming, However isn't it also the natives who want to maintain their cultural heritage . The liberals have a track record of supporting their cause so why not come forward with a proposal that supports their cultural heritiage while helping to restore the wild salmon runs ?

Well, with all the billions of dollars of profits these guys pump out year after year I think they can afford to invest into a land based operation. Hell, they could setup a land operation anywhere. Why not go where the land is cheap and the climate is already cold.

I don't feel sorry for a company who gets free resources and gets free money from the tax payer. Also fish farms have nothing to do with FN ceremonies or any of that other nonsense. Getting real sick of that card always being played. Time for a new game

If you were not complaining about fish farms you would be complaining about Jimmy Patterson seines

I’m not a huge supporter of out right bans I believe there there is better regulations that give everyone an opportunity

Go fish in a lake where your can catch and release harm can be kept to stocked trout

Leave the oven for the whales keep your polluting noisy boat out of their habitat stop playing with their food

I am sure the rest of Canada gives a hoot about your sport.

Magna Carta your not a poor pesant trying to get food in your 100k Grady spending 800 bucks on fuel.
I believe the time has passed for reasonable, nuanced discussion regarding open net farms. Sportfishing, ceremonial harvesting & commercial fishing are a completely different conversation for a different time, and should not be lumped in with open net farms. The only benefit of open net farms I see preached is the economic benefit for the shareholders.... And I'm sorry, but economic benefit should never trump environmental stewardship.

There’s lots of fish out there closing farms and saying wild fish are on the brink of extinction only will bring in more closures for all.

It’s the narrative they are using to remove them

Last edited:
Please tell us all that you practice what you preach, and live off the grid, walk everywhere and grow/raise your own food
Nope. I run a construction company. I have 4 heavy duty trucks for my crew(s). I live in a modern house, drive to work. Raise/forage/harvest what I can, but still buy from the store...which i often drive to... So point taken. There are times where there is some give and take... we all damage the environment to a point to live our western lives. But its a cost/gain game, and I'm sorry, but I don't see how the benefits of open net fish farms even get remotely close to the harm they cause to wild salmon. If you truly believe that open net fish farms don't really cause all that much damage to wild salmon stocks/environment, then I get why you wouldn't want them removed. I guess that's really what the argument comes down to. And for people who disagree on that key point, we will never see eye to eye.

Last edited:
It's not just salmon that is being harmed. I think it's been ripped apart and explained many times over in this thread. It's every single living thing down to micro organisms on the sea floor being harmed. There is a clean way to manage a fish farm. It's in a tank in a building. Stick those buildings anywhere. Why the hell not do it where land is almost free. Go to Manitoba. Somewhere northerly. Where is cold all the time. I bet they need jobs in those places too.

Parts of this thead are being dragged off topic...yet again. This one is going to be kept on track. Posts that veer off the topic will be removed immediately.

There’s lots of fish out there closing farms and saying wild fish are on the brink of extinction only will bring in more closures for all.

It’s the narrative they are using to remove them
speaking for myself, born in BC and a sport fisher here for over 60 years, I feel no sense of camaraderie, purpose or shared goals with the Norwegian salmon farm industry here in BC. I don't for a second believe they have any interest in saving wild salmon. That's just some marketing ploy. They have only one interest which is earning the maximum profit over the shortest measurable period they can. That's how capitalism works these days. They've had a heck of a free ride in BC for decades. If they were capable of changing their spots they would have done so years ago.

Last edited:
speaking for myself, born in BC and a sport fisher for here for over 60 years, I feel no sense of camaraderie, purpose or shared goals with the Norwegian salmon farm industry here in BC. I don't for a second believe they have any interest in saving wild salmon. That's just some marketing ploy. They have only one interest which is earning the maximum profit over the shortest measurable period they can. That's how capitalism works these days. They've had a heck of a free ride in BC for decades. If they were capable of changing their spots they would have done so years ago.

Yeah but your logic is constant, you want to see salmon farmers removed because they harm wild salmon, your okay with Fraser river salmon closures, your okay with the SRKW closures, you don’t like hatcherys because they harm wild salmon, you point out that catch and release harms wild salmon ect ect

You are not on here lobbying for more hatchery's expanded sports fishing opportunities, lifting the SRKW closures ect and then at the salmon time saying remove fish farms they harm wild salmon

Back