Any fish at Cap?

• Thread starter Thread starter Brisco
  • Start date Start date
quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I don't think the bulk of the Cap springs have arrived yet. It's usually an October event. Therefore, I would think that more springs will have arrived and this will continue to occur for the next while and until a big rain happens and the fish go up the river. In other words, I think the fish will be stacking in front of the Cap since we have not had rain this week. If I could find some last weekend, I'm sure I could find some this weekend. You just need to know where to look, IMHO. [8D]

Easy there Red Monster. Don't take this the way it sounds, but you "got lucky" last weekend relative to the dozens of other boats fishing the area. Could have just as easily have been someone else ---there was FIDDLESTICKS going on there last weekend. There have been some good moments this week, right at dark, and right at first light, if you're lucky.

That's right out of the mouths of 8 Charter boat Captains.

As for fish stacking at the mouth, that's utter wishful thinking relatively speaking. There are NO coho over there, and hoping October is going to be red hot may just be wishful thinking. The hatchery employees are "worried" to quote 1 of them. They've never been quite this "late". As for an "October" peak to the fishery, the last 3 years had the peak in September for Springs.

I do know of 1 sockeye, if you can believe it, a chum, a hatchery Coho, and 1 wild Coho pulled out of there today. There were also about 7 springs pulled out of there ALL DAY today based on reports from the guides out on charters today.

Tight lines to you on your VENTURE for fish this weekend, and let's hope you're right, that the fish will show up in October.

Tight lines, Straight Shooting.

yep not that many springs pulled out today... except for predator with A 45# SPRING!!! right in front of the cap... but that was the only fish they caught. Also, my buddy got an 18.5#... The guides were saying the runs seem late this year (no $@#%!) and to wait a couple weeks for it to be perfect conditions

Don't take this the wrong way, but I fish the Cap every year and only at this exact time of year, so what do I know? lol! Hell, how was I to know fishing there had peaked? Hell, last weekend was the first time I fished the Cap this year. Don't fish the Cap, Waddy. Stay home; no more fish this year. Predator caught the last big fish of the season. And don't forget, Wads: He's a charter. No, you tell all your friends to stay home too. I find it's much easier to play a fish when it's not too over-crowed, and I sure need buckets of luck to catch and then net my own fish. [8D]

thinking of going fishing for sockeye next weekend at the Cap. Did any one catch anything there this fine weekend??

Orion, good positive attitude. Dont forget to check the regs before you go. May be better to target Springs over there.

was there all day sunday, saw 1 fish caught, very slow, dont let the reports from bait companies fool you and there is no sockeye fishing open

Orion91,common gear is a hot spot flasher and either hootchy, or spoon, or herring or anchovy. I like 34 to 40 inch leader for hootchies or small spoons (2.5-3 inch) for Springs around here, or 5 feet for herring or a big spoon (3.5-5 inch). Favourite spoons are glo-green for bright days. Army trucks for overcast days. I think it is good to check the lines often to re-charge glow spoons and glo-hootchies, and to make sure you are not dragging salad. Generally, on the basement is good in less than 100 feet around Vancouver, but you never know for sure. I like 75 feet on the rigger off the Fraser. Sometimes dragging your ball in the mud stirs up some action. If trolling spoons, I like to troll faster because I think the hooks set more often when trolled fast, as opposed to a bite missing the hook. I think hooks in hootchies tend to hook-up more easily because the whole lure gets bit. I get a keeper about once every 5 or 10 trips.

Fished from about 5:30 until dark today.
Saw one fish in the teens taken had one hard strike ourselves.
Absolutely stunning evening, the air so clear, the mountains so close, the gorgeous sunset then moonrise over the city.

The "Cap" is short for the Capilano River. Its mouth is right beside the Lions Gate Bridge (first narrows)

heading out monday morning... hoping for the best.... probably the last outing of the year due to hockey...

quote:As for an "October" peak to the fishery, the last 3 years had the peak in September for Springs.

Here's what Dave at Predator Charter had to report last year about the Cap (and he might know what he's talking about):

"The first week of October is traditionally the best week of this fishery, and with most salmon runs being late this year, we could even see the peak in the second week of October this year."

Let's hope the springs show up: now would be good time. I want to try again this weekend.

At this time of year there is also a run of chum that comes past the Cap on the way to the Indian River. I don't think the chums have arrived either. Last year a buddy and I actually caught a coho, chum and spring all on the same day, but this year certainly doesn't look as promising as the last few years. :(

Does anyone have a report from wednesday, good or bad?
I would appreciate it because I have an out of towner waiting to fly in to go fishing.
Thanks

You guys may want to read what Dave has to say about the Cap River is the sports section of today's Province. It's in the stats section...

Basically what is says is...hours of nothing. A few fish get taken all at once, but otherwise slow slow slow and we're going to have to wait for rain, and LOTS of it. He thinks the fish are out in the Strait if they are there.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

quote:As for an "October" peak to the fishery, the last 3 years had the peak in September for Springs.

Here's what Dave at Predator Charter had to report last year about the Cap (and he might know what he's talking about):

"The first week of October is traditionally the best week of this fishery, and with most salmon runs being late this year, we could even see the peak in the second week of October this year."

Let's hope the springs show up: now would be good time. I want to try again this weekend.

Makes me wonder whether my time might be better spent out by the QA marker, T10 or even Sandheads? I'm going to try to be out at first light on Saturday, though the tides won't be ideal. Got some plump, shiny 'chovies at Berry's today, so if that's what they want...

Back