2024 Ucluelet Reports

Fished the light for an hour towards the end of the flood. Picked up one teener. Only reporting as I'm pretty sure I saw Rayvon's old searay out there..... cool boat. where's Sttr?

I caught a mid teener at 8 this morning at light house but definitely slowing down out there even at wya from what I’ve heard. Sounds like big bank is the place to be now.
Went trolling out front by Red Can, lighthouse to Little Beach for 1.5 hrs. 7 other boats. Not even a bite for us. Never saw anyone else hook up. I'll try Wya tomorrow.

Went trolling out front by Red Can, lighthouse to Little Beach for 1.5 hrs. 7 other boats. Not even a bite for us. Never saw anyone else hook up. I'll try Wya tomorrow.
Same for us, had a solid fish yesterday afternoon at little beach, but lost it close to the boat, besides that nothing, didn’t see anyone hook up, bonked a couple at the red can Friday night. Time to switch tactics me thinks

Just returned home after a week in Ukee. Fishing was decent but definitely not like last year. Didn’t have a problem catching fish tho, just more time between hits. Caught some on gees and hootchies but bait worked best. Biggest spring was a 24# (caught solo! 😎). Most fish caught at Wya. Caught some beauty Hali’s too. All n all a great trip despite 5 out of 7 days rained!! My wife might say otherwise, she was stuck in the camper with the kids most morning 😆, what a trooper.

Just returned home after a week in Ukee. Fishing was decent but definitely not like last year. Didn’t have a problem catching fish tho, just more time between hits. Caught some on gees and hootchies but bait worked best. Biggest spring was a 24# (caught solo! 😎). Most fish caught at Wya. Caught some beauty Hali’s too. All n all a great trip despite 5 out of 7 days rained!! My wife might say otherwise, she was stuck in the camper with the kids most morning 😆, what a trooper.
Nice wife !!!

Thinking of going for a couple Hali tomorrow, Thursday, w my 7 year old, so be great to have a buddy boat. He’s a rock star offshore but we have always gone with someone else on the boat, so be nice to at least have someone else in the vicinity. Thanks and any recent reports would be appreciated!
Did you get out for hali? far? how was the rest of the fishing?

Did you get out for hali? far? how was the rest of the fishing?
Yup! Sttr wanted to hit the big bank so we did the trek. Trolled up a 80ish cm right away as we hit the bank from the Ukee side on a white hootchi right at the bottom. Started getting coho and mackerel and a spring. My son says “dad this is hot fishing”

Things slowed down for me as I dealt w a broken cotter pin on my Scotty HP, took me a while to figure out.

Coho seemed to be at all depths. Got my last clipped with a buzz bomb while drifting for Hali and black cod. Only one black cod for me, no more Hali.

9 fish kept. Had to work for them, fishing w a kid ain’t easy especially when you try and over do it, w 3-4 lines at all times.

Sore as hell, left campsite at 6am and home in Victoria at midnight. Son power napped twice. Thanks to @Sttr for making it happen. Supposed to work today but blood and sand to clean up!

Home from annual family trip. 2 solo stints, and a series of 3 hour window stints is what happens when there is a baby and a toddler stuck on shore driving someone crazy while the others guiltily fish. Came home with100lbs of processed filets despite never finding the hot bite. Wya was finally heating up then it poured then it blew.
We found a couple fish per trip at Wya when calmish, also Food islets bay, Sargison Bank, and Black Rock all on bait.
Stomachs had 3-4" herring (Wya), 3" sandlance (Sargison), squid (Foods Is), 6" sandlance(Black rock).
Bait got the first fish so we ran two, in hindsight, I should have mixed in a spoon or rubber on the other rod.
Kept an under hali, then shook 3 before getting an 84cm at lighthouse bank on a solo tour.
6 days went by too fast.
I have 17 anchovies left and two spots on my licence. Hmmm... Steveston on Tuesday?

Back