2024 Tuna Adventures

Went out tuna fishing for the first time on Saturday. Left Bamfield around 230 and had lines down at Loudoun Canyon a little after sunrise about 52 miles from Bamfield. Recboats seemed to bring in between 20-60 fish on the day. Great early bite that tailed off for us. Lots of wildlife including humpbacks, two pods of orcas, blue sharks, dolphins and a sea turtle.

Thanks to everyone on the forum for intel sharing and advise. Special thanks to captain and crew of Minke for coordinating buddy boats, leading the seam off shore and checking in to make sure everyone made it back safely. Can’t wait to get out again.
Turtle sightings are rare. You should report it to DFO. The researchers really appreciate the turtle reports.

Had a slim day on the water Saturday and buddy from Seattle breaks out the cheetos so I say one to the fish gods and he throws it over and bang halibut on.

We left out of Nootka Saturday at 545, headed south off estavan to clayquot canyon. Found some boats at the 28-30m area but pushed out to the commercial fleet that we could see on the horizon as the water was only 58, and with my first trip a couple weeks earlier unsuccessful, I wanted to make sure we found the 60+ water.
We ended up 41m out. First hit was immediate at 830, single zucker on a boat. We proceeded to grind out 5/7 over the next 2 hours. Fog rolled in so I decided to head west and out of the commy fleet to make things a little simpler as we were a crew of 2.
As soon as we were free of the fleet it turned on in a big way. We took 19 in 30 maybe 30 minutes, speed didn’t matter, handlines, rods, everything hit the second it touched the water. I reckon I could have grabbed one if just stuck the net in the water.
We had to the tap out on that flurry and deal with the catch properly, detangle, etc. all the problems you’re thankful to have.
We ended up ditching the hand lines, ran 4 rods, unfortunately broke one off on a quad hit as the braid pinched off in the arbor - that was a bummer. Ran 3 rods to the end, triple after triple until we had our 40.
Gorgeous ride home. Anyone headed out for their first time (this season or ever) humpies have been all over the drop off up and down the coast, and the sun fish are like mines out there. We had a very close encounter and have heard of plenty already this season, so heads up.
We rolled off the grounds at 130. 1.5hr home to Tofino.
Largest was 21, average was 14.

Attachments

• IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_5642.jpeg
    IMG_5642.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 203
We left out of Nootka Saturday at 545, headed south off estavan to clayquot canyon. Found some boats at the 28-30m area but pushed out to the commercial fleet that we could see on the horizon as the water was only 58, and with my first trip a couple weeks earlier unsuccessful, I wanted to make sure we found the 60+ water.
We ended up 41m out. First hit was immediate at 830, single zucker on a boat. We proceeded to grind out 5/7 over the next 2 hours. Fog rolled in so I decided to head west and out of the commy fleet to make things a little simpler as we were a crew of 2.
As soon as we were free of the fleet it turned on in a big way. We took 19 in 30 maybe 30 minutes, speed didn’t matter, handlines, rods, everything hit the second it touched the water. I reckon I could have grabbed one if just stuck the net in the water.
We had to the tap out on that flurry and deal with the catch properly, detangle, etc. all the problems you’re thankful to have.
We ended up ditching the hand lines, ran 4 rods, unfortunately broke one off on a quad hit as the braid pinched off in the arbor - that was a bummer. Ran 3 rods to the end, triple after triple until we had our 40.
Gorgeous ride home. Anyone headed out for their first time (this season or ever) humpies have been all over the drop off up and down the coast, and the sun fish are like mines out there. We had a very close encounter and have heard of plenty already this season, so heads up.
Would you mind giving up the coordinates where you found them?

Epic pic and slay! What a trip! Thanks for the report

Back