2024 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

You’re right it is no surprise when you hear of people getting caught with undersize springs thinking they’re coho. Also the amount of people tacking 90 degrees to everyone else proves most have zero clue of what is going on. That FB page ruined FC
Nobody on this site should support Facebook fishing groups. They're the worst.

There seems to be quite a few upper slot springs being caught in the Gerald/Douglas area, both jigging and trolling. Can someone confirm that the slot limit will be eliminated and daily will go to 2 on Sept 1?

Quick troll in the heavy traffic last night. Right away a beauty 8 lb hatch coho and a 8 lb spring over 2 hours, on the shallower 150 contour. It for me until later september.

Hit the river first thing, a ton of shakers, switched to plugs but no takers. Hit the humps next and pounded off 4 coho in quick succession, then watched a campion 602 cut off two people in quick succession. Was a good laugh. Got one 14lb spring down deep. Anyone know the story of the jet ski guy in cuffs at the ramp and his truck and trailer getting towed Sat eve?

Hit the river first thing, a ton of shakers, switched to plugs but no takers. Hit the humps next and pounded off 4 coho in quick succession, then watched a campion 602 cut off two people in quick succession. Was a good laugh. Got one 14lb spring down deep. Anyone know the story of the jet ski guy in cuffs at the ramp and his truck and trailer getting towed Sat eve?
Was out that night and spoke to two teen to 20 something guys on a seadoo jigging. Never saw a gun and they were very polite when i saw them at the dock. If there was another out there we didn't see them.

Hi all,
basically new to the forum.
I've been fishing my whole life, and moved to the Island about 10 years ago. Done all the on-foot fly fishing ever imaginable, but I just got a 12ft aluminum boat with a 9.9hp motor, and I was planning to explore the near off-shore potential of the area, as I heard the French creek area is usually a good place to do bucktailing for coho (I heard there some real expert in this forum ;)). I was also thinking to do some casting to the occasional fish frenzy that might materialize, with some jigging as "plan B", just in case the fish are not cooperating on the fly.
I don't expect anyone to tell me their secret "honey hole" (is there such a thing in the ocean?), but any advice on technique, locations, timing, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
Tight lines 🎣

Did a couple fishes on the weekend, French creek sat evening, got there at 5 and was slow for me but around 7 found bait in shallower (165’) and was non stop action. Plug and a hootchie. Right on bottom. No springs
This morning Gerald island for an hour , couple nice coho in short order
White hootchie

Having issues with my chinook catch rate. lol. But the coho are better eating

Last edited:
Did a couple fishes on the weekend, French creek sat evening, got there at 5 and was slow for me but around 7 found bait in shallower (165’) and was non stop action. Plug and a hootchie. Right on bottom. No springs
This morning Gerald island for an hour , couple nice coho in short order
White hootchie

Having issues with my chinook catch rate. lol. But the coho are better eating
We fished along side Gerald and then Douglas reef early yesterday morning. No action until the reef then boated 2 - 70ish springs and lost a nice 1 at the boat. Oddly no coho. All on faded 602 plug @ 120-130.

Closed out the season last night out front of the marina. Twas a wee bit bumpy but hung in there ! Scratched out a couple nice wild coho then just before calling it quits , hooked into a pair of springs in quick succession. Great season where ever we went this year. East side ,west side , all fished well. Gonna be a long off season.
Glad I had my old Peetz reel redone with the new drag system!! Absolutely phenominal !! I'll be getting my other one done this off season.Thank you Peetz!!

Back