2024 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Great opening day. All afternoon we hit fish. Only 1 hatchho. Several undersized springs. Boxed 2 teen springs. 110 - 130 ft , spoons & 602 plug ( big one). Evening bite really lit up. Cleang station was very busy!!

Gents, I'm looking for a small charter that can take a father and two sons out for some fishing. They are staying in the Parksville area. They will be in the area starting tomorrow for a week.
I appreciate the names and numbers!

If someone wants to pay 900$ for a hour long boat ride total to Jed good on em. Anyways back to fishing reports. Good day out at the humps the other day, all deep on plugs, even got Hoes at 230’ on the rigger. Had to dodge the usual suspects going 90 degrees to everyone else. Why is it always 17-21ft aluminums ? Seems to get worse every year. Oh well keeps a guy on his toes.

Gonna be over to the parksville area this upcoming Saturday -Saturday and bringing the boat . Any spots around there to try for ling cod ?
I know the humps are good for salmon but hoping to try for some ling . Willing to travel a bit if needed . Feel free to pm me if you want . Cheers

Last edited:
launch at FC and run across to the south end of Lasquiti, some nice shoals and humps there that have produced for me, just be mindful of the RCA's

Went out for a couple hour afternoon fish yesterday. Can’t believe the amount of dog fish at all types of depths / speeds it didn’t matter . Got one hatch coho on a gold nugget herring aid .
What’s the lure of choice out here ? Gonna head out again tomorrow morning or maybe later today you never know.

Try a 602 Tomic plug , 6 inch. The springs like it and haven't had to deal with any dogfish!!
Was thinking of trying that . You fishing off the bottom with the plugs? Current rips pretty good out there and only have 15lb cannon balls. Will try though . Cheers

Managed to scrape up 3 hatchery coho yesterday afternoon. Scraping the bottom at 200’ deep, 2 on the skinny G and 1 on a 5” 602 plug. Tried jigging on a school of fish at one point and nothing but dog fish had to troll fast at around 3.5-4mph. 1 just undersized spring that gets to live another day

Went for morning fished Sat/Sun. Saturday 2 hatchery coho and lots of wild and small springs
Sunday 1 hatchery coho and 2 legal springs.
Coho at 113 on spoons and springs at 149 on hootchies. Definetly slower fishing right now but still lots of action.

Great fishing continues out of schooner cove. Went out at first light, 2 hatchery coho and a 78cm spring Non stop action between wild coho and small springs.
Went out again at 11 to try to get a lingcod. Had fresh salmon bellies for bait. Dogfish, dogfish, dogfish……….no lings

took my wife, daughter grandson and son in law out for a quick fish tonight. 4 hatch coho in about an hour. Crazy
All coho at 115 on small spoon, coho killer I think and spring at 189 on a 602 plug.

Great night for a bite at French Creek. I haven't been out a lot this season, not like years past. It felt great to have the opportunity to play for a bit.

Attachments

• 20240805_201454.jpg
    20240805_201454.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 20240805_201726.jpg
    20240805_201726.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20240805_203505.jpg
    20240805_203505.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 87
Got out for first light and got a tank of a 76cm weighing in at 18 pounds . Got another 68 shortly after and a couple coho in the mix . Long line release of a monster, who took some impressive runs . Got real lumpy and hard to fish and bite was off . 3 of 4 chinooks were whites last 2 days . White hootchie for the win

Slow out there for me today . Went first light again and got a couple hatchy coho . Had one buzzer beater tanks hit the line . Popped the clip and took some crazy runs . Didn’t even get to see it but must of been too big to keep ;)
Creel surveyor said most people said it was slow but turned on around 10 am. Not for me . Tried for some ling as well. No dice . No birthday love so gonna drink some beer . May try one more time Friday before heading back to main land .

Back