2024 Campbell River Reports

anybody noticing an insane amount of
“misclips” in these coho? i’ve caught so many that were very questionable. yesterday i let a couple go that i was unwilling to take a risk on
Somebody else said something like that in one of the other report threads... Nanaimo I think. Fishing Nanaimo I haven't noticed that, but I also don't look too closely. If there is any adipose at all they get gaff released not netted, so could be I just haven't been paying attention.

Somebody else said something like that in one of the other report threads... Nanaimo I think. Fishing Nanaimo I haven't noticed that, but I also don't look too closely. If there is any adipose at all they get gaff released not netted, so could be I just haven't been paying attention.
I compare it to “Can someone just be a little bit pregnant?” To me it’s marked or unmarked. If it’s marked enough for me to identify it as marked then it’s marked. I get it though. It’s easier to just let it go rather than have to debate someone with authority later. Especially if you can see enough of an adipose from the side of the boat.

I compare it to “Can someone just be a little bit pregnant?” To me it’s marked or unmarked. If it’s marked enough for me to identify it as marked then it’s marked. I get it though. It’s easier to just let it go rather than have to debate someone with authority later. Especially if you can see enough of an adipose from the side of the boat.
Yeah, most of the releases I have done I could see the fin still in the water. Didn't haul them out to see if it was a whole fin or a partial one.

Not CR, so apologies but I'll back up this point about Nanaimo. 1/5 fish at least. If it's more than 1/2 off I'll take it because I can reasonably argue it fits the definition of "healed" adipose scar as per DFO.

anybody noticing an insane amount of
“misclips” in these coho? i’ve caught so many that were very questionable. yesterday i let a couple go that i was unwilling to take a risk on
Noticed a few-but honestly if DFO is going to clip such a low percentage they should help out the coho and do a 2 and your done. Must have caught 25 before our boat was limited. Some nice Springs around as well-shaping up to be a great season!!

Noticed a few-but honestly if DFO is going to clip such a low percentage they should help out the coho and do a 2 and your done. Must have caught 25 before our boat was limited. Some nice Springs around as well-shaping up to be a great season!!
agree. or an annual limit of any coho. i love the guy saturday who drags the coho onto his checkerboard pod and then angrily yells “Wild” to the boat party then unhooks and kicks it into the water …anyways…reports

agree. or an annual limit of any coho. i love the guy saturday who drags the coho onto his checkerboard pod and then angrily yells “Wild” to the boat party then unhooks and kicks it into the water …anyways…reports
🤦‍♂️

And people wonder why there's criticism of recreational fishing.

Moving on, lots of fish out there as others have said! I went down to 1/0 singles to reduce the chance of any damage even further since there were so many wild coho out there yesterday. Filled half our limit before getting fed up with the traffic at the red can and doing some inshore jigging, some nice greenling and one of the biggest flounder I've ever caught which was pretty fun. We had originally planned to go up to Chatham but after getting to separation head in the morning it was decided that it wasn't worth getting bounced around for another 45 minutes in the washing machine still present after low slack. Next time!

Last edited:
Nice to hear that others are adjusting hook size to reduce damage to fish during catch and release. I think it’s also a good idea for all of us to figure out what our stop fishing point is. After how many C&R fish do we pack it in. Just a thought. Once I have tubbed out for the boat I start thinking about leaving. Can’t stand the idea of letting a bleeder go because the boat is tagged out…

Nice to hear that others are adjusting hook size to reduce damage to fish during catch and release. I think it’s also a good idea for all of us to figure out what our stop fishing point is. After how many C&R fish do we pack it in. Just a thought. Once I have tubbed out for the boat I start thinking about leaving. Can’t stand the idea of letting a bleeder go because the boat is tagged out…
I just put on a plug and fish very deep-besides I need the rest and a plug caught Spring is easy to release boatside

I do the same, or start fishing for bottom fish etc before we limit out in case of bycatch.

I just put on a plug and fish very deep-besides I need the rest and a plug caught Spring is easy to release boatside
All of the coho I've caught have been on 4.75" plugs or similar size jigs, last few times I've been out I can't put the rod in the holder before there's a fish on when it's hot!

Grandsons have arrived from Vancouver and will hit the water tomorrow- the Hump/ Red Buoy still the go to area?

Limited in just under an hour yesterday morning on hatch coho, about twelve total to the boat including three double headers! No deeper than 100', all on small plugs. Made a informal video because I just couldn't be bothered to edit much 😅

We were only 1 clipped for 14 on Wednesday plus 2 decent springs mostly in 50 feet or less of water around the Green.
One thing I discovered, the coho weren’t that interested in my trusty 5 inch and 6 inch 602s so I’ll be dragging them come the 15th.

We were only 1 clipped for 14 on Wednesday plus 2 decent springs mostly in 50 feet or less of water around the Green.
One thing I discovered, the coho weren’t that interested in my trusty 5 inch and 6 inch 602s so I’ll be dragging them come the 15th.
I was 2/10 I believe, I don't really count past the first fish as it's all gravy after that! I was slamming Coho on my 4.75" plug and I've caught plenty on 5 and 6 inch plugs in the past as well, maybe it was an action thing? One thing I did notice the other day is they weren't as aggressive as previous days and a slower troll of 2.2 knots seemed to work the best at around 50-100 feet.

I just looked at the DFO website and there is no notice for Chinook retention starting July 15. I know they usually announce it at the last minute. Anyone have any Intel?

Back