2024 Campbell River Reports

braved the winds yesterday. got out midday and trolled around the hump with limited success. it
is evident my trolling game is getting rusty. missed so many bouncing rods. most of my hits were deeper around 130’. zero hatch cohos for me. i’m going to switch out the glow flashers and go with purple haze today

Went up to Chatham, couple jumpers but nothing happening there beyond some rockfish. Ran down through Okisollo and Surge before getting into the first double header at the shoals within 10 minutes. Wife got her first chinook solo to the boat, way out of slot so we didn't even bother measuring but it was at least 90cm and possibly a tyee. I would say I'm surprised but she caught one of a handful of halibut around here last year, must be the guide... 7 or 8 chinook to the boat, 2 hatch coho and a few big double digit wilds in a few hours this evening. Small AP spoon worked well for coho with no flasher at 25' and plugs nailed everything else! Ended the day with a 70 cm-ish wild which hammered a small 3" plug at 75' which was released boat side before heading in sun burned and happy.

Attachments

• 20240715_162720.jpg
    20240715_162720.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 99
1 spring and 4 coho in about 3 hrs of trolling yesterday, still hanging at the red can. My GPS is all pinked out around there, looks like a toddler has been scribbling on it for hours haha. Probably move on to fresco point and the green can for a change of scenery next trip out.

Funny how some people are hitting lots of wild 'ho's and others seem to be getting a pretty good ratio. I am probably about 4/10 hatch to wilds this year and the ho's are finally getting a bit chunkier. I got no time for skinny ho's.

lighthouse drift produced easy limits for our boat and managed one hatch coho. as
mentioned they are getting bigger. not much for bait until we went to wilby where it felt like it was 1987.
there had to have been 100 boats trolling in the shallows. bait and coho everywhere. young fellas in a whaler caught a nice spring in the shallows right beside us as well. big rock was a gong show. saw a guy leave his leg down and grind his skeg in half before our yells got his attention.

guy in a dodge ram and trailer blocked the staging area where guys put on straps etc. literally parked right in the middle of the exit.
You gotta be some kind of stupid to pull that stunt on a public ramp in a town full of loggers and miners. last year someone did something similar, and their truck had all four tires flattened.
anyways the truck got towed so that’s enough of a lesson i hope

Spring fever, would you mind shedding a bit of light non how you pick jigging spots? Bait balls? Hits on the finder? Years of wisdom?
I pretty much always troll. My kids find it painfully boring. They love to jig for bottom fish. If I could improve my success rate jigging for salmon, I'd have a better crew turnout! :)
Jigging was Lights out!! My shoulders won't take too many days like this-Nice shallow jigging depths and amazing acrobatics even springs had a go!!

That’s a fine looking crew you have there! Sounds like a memorable day! Best depth for you yesterday?
That was this morning, kids up at 4:30, motoring out at 5:05.
We were hitting big springs from 40' to 120'.
Since the bottom is soft, we pound it pretty hard.
The wall is pretty steep, so a gust of breeze can shallow it up 80' fast.
Multiple double headers.

Spring fever, would you mind shedding a bit of light non how you pick jigging spots? Bait balls? Hits on the finder? Years of wisdom?
I pretty much always troll. My kids find it painfully boring. They love to jig for bottom fish. If I could improve my success rate jigging for salmon, I'd have a better crew turnout! :)
WEll you probably know most of the spots already if you fish the green can, hump, red can, willby shoal etc.. First make sure you have a good sounder and know how to use it. Have good jigging equipment-light so you can jig for extended periods with ease,. Know your tides-try to go over a slack period so there isn't too much back trolling required. Watch for birds-I never pass one without looking. Look for concentrations of boats. The difference between a troller and a jigger is that a troller looks to make a pass through the bait and moves on. A jigger finds the bait and fishes up and down through it and tries to always stay on it. Go on you tube and watch tutorials on Slow Pitch Jigging-you will see it is not the sedate jigging we used to do for ling cod on the wcvi years ago. Be prepared to troll and switch back if you are finding dense bait balls at a decent depth

Picked up a nice sized hatchery coho and a 74cm Spring. South of the green can. If we didn't have to release 8+ "wilds" in 2 hours, it would have been a perfect day!

What a beauty evening yesterday, went 1/15 (gah!!) for hatcheries.

Talked to the creel survey girl about hatchery fish that were not perfectly cut at the adipose fin. She said they are keepers as long as it is not an obviously in tact wild. In other words, if the rear fin is still there but has been obviously cut and the surgery was botched, it is a legal keeper. I've thrown a few back this year that were obvious hatch fish, but the rear fin was still somewhat present, so I will be more comfortable keeping them now.

Spring fever, good to hear you have been hitting springs at Wilby, we’ve been having a really hard time with the chinook. Lots of coho, but very few chinook in the mix. You mentioned “very early”, do you find that more chinook are on the shoal in the early morning? We’ve been getting out around 0830. Jigging as well!

Back