2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Uhoh. We always portion our Chinook into 4 pieces (2 per side)…..hopefully they don’t us a hard time.
Might be some explaining to do. Unless processed at a registered fish processor must be identifiable. The last few years we gut, remove head, fish bag and pack in salt ice. Sucks to get home and have to process but easier than the discussions with officers. We do this to bottom fish and salmon.
We do watch guys vacuumed pack and wonder when not if they will be caught.

Did a power trip to port on Monday evening/Tuesday morning. Launched in town and ran the gauntlet of gillnetters down the inlet. Went offshore for our 2 chickens and more dogfish than I’ve ever seen, then started to head back in to try for sockeye. We just rounded cape beale and buddies impeller decided it was done. Went into poett nook on the kicker and hauled out there.

Last edited:
Might be some explaining to do. Unless processed at a registered fish processor must be identifiable. The last few years we gut, remove head, fish bag and pack in salt ice. Sucks to get home and have to process but easier than the discussions with officers. We do this to bottom fish and salmon.
We do watch guys vacuumed pack and wonder when not if they will be caught.

Yeah that's what I do. Your asking for a fine portioning them etc. A lot of people don't understand the transport thing unfortunately.

fish have to be measurable, countable and identifiable. Fish cops have told me that you can and filet, vacuum pack and freeze as long as you leave the tail on one piece and put all the pieces to one fish in a single bag.
That's how I've done it for years. Much easier to process on a trip then spending hours at home processing. Usually label the bags with initials and 1/3, 2/3 etc for the fillets.

With all the DFO hanging out on the new Bamfield road I expect they are seeing lots of fish headed East... I wonder what tackle those successful fishermen were using... I'll be there in 3 weeks!

Whos got a report!

I'm going next week. First time. Last minute. Friends bought a place up there. On the no-drive-to side. Is there a ramp other than the one at the park?

DFO really cracking down on the new road now fellas ,Multiple Road blocks the past few weeks , different areas , even during the week , make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's on all of your catch posessions , there hitting guys hard , they seem a little grumpy.

FD
good!! thanks Felix

Uhoh. We always portion our Chinook into 4 pieces (2 per side)…..hopefully they don’t us a hard time.
just mark the pieces so they make sense!!
fish 1-1
1-2
1-3
1-4

etc, keep a tail for each fish attached.

i have been stopped a few times and each time my fish where marked this way.. so easy to identify and lay out limit. no problems ever.

I will be there Canada Day weekend so will have a fish report when back. Worrying way to much in my opinion of road checks.

Most of the officers we deal with mid island are awesome. The officers and regional staff have zero to do with the politics. Just play nice and you get same in return.

Hope to see some of you up there.

Was up for a few days early last week. Fish everywhere. Weed through the smalls to find the descents lots of bait around. Kirby/ cree were our go tos Early am gave us the best sizes. Bellies full of squid / tiny bait fish. Gold nugget weeg mid water and turd on the bottom was the go to. Skinny g in a green white was good as well. Quick hali haul not far from home on spin n glo and grubs with salmon bellies. No love on skirts.

fish have to be measurable, countable and identifiable. Fish cops have told me that you can and filet, vacuum pack and freeze as long as you leave the tail on one piece and put all the pieces to one fish in a single bag.
Yea this is true. If you leave the tail attached to one filet it’s legal and I have never had a problem when stopped

We do watch guys vacuumed pack and wonder when not if the no

Yea this is true. If you leave the tail attached to one filet it’s legal and I have never had a problem when stopped
Good to know! I always leave the tail on a piece and portion into 4-6 pieces, each bag gets labelled. Then all bags from one fish go in a single bag.

I have never been checked but heard the officers are fine with this. I go for 8-10 days and really don’t want to freeze a full side of a 15-20lb spring.

Back