2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Hello, a group of us are coming up to Bamfield from Victoria for the first time to do some fishing at the end of the month. We are only down for a couple days (2-1/2 days of fishing). We are thinking we will put the boat in at Port Alberni and come down the canal. I have heard to be mindful of the wind and to leave early morning before 9am. I'm wondering how the boat launch is in Port for parking and water depth. I'm wondering if there is a local map showing the names of the fishing spots that are popular. We are hoping to do some Salmon and bottom fishing for Ling and Halibut; current and weather dependant. . We were thinking it would be nice to try and catch some sockeye if possible but have never fished them. Is it worth spending a bunch of our limited time to do so or just focus on the springs and coho just outside Bamfield. Obviously no one has a crystal bal, just curious on how other people may approach it. Thanks in advance
Here's a map of all the main fishing spots.. Published by AnglerAtlas a few years ago.

Attachments

• Bamfield.png
    Bamfield.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 331
Hello, a group of us are coming up to Bamfield from Victoria for the first time to do some fishing at the end of the month. We are only down for a couple days (2-1/2 days of fishing). We are thinking we will put the boat in at Port Alberni and come down the canal. I have heard to be mindful of the wind and to leave early morning before 9am. I'm wondering how the boat launch is in Port for parking and water depth. I'm wondering if there is a local map showing the names of the fishing spots that are popular. We are hoping to do some Salmon and bottom fishing for Ling and Halibut; current and weather dependant. . We were thinking it would be nice to try and catch some sockeye if possible but have never fished them. Is it worth spending a bunch of our limited time to do so or just focus on the springs and coho just outside Bamfield. Obviously no one has a crystal bal, just curious on how other people may approach it. Tha
how big of boat? launch is really easy and i did it on low tide last week no problem follow markers and GPS you will be fine, Soxs from what ive heard is a 4 am fishery and a hour and a bit after then done they are small. near the mill and up. running the inlet took me both times 120 mins doing 25 kts, spots i mentioned are on the charts have fun enjoy

how big of boat? launch is really easy and i did it on low tide last week no problem follow markers and GPS you will be fine, Soxs from what ive heard is a 4 am fishery and a hour and a bit after then done they are small. near the mill and up. running the inlet took me both times 120 mins doing 25 kts, spots i mentioned are on the charts have fun enjoy
Friend at china creek told me lots of bigger ones this year, 7 pounders.

We will be in a 18-1/2 foot Double Eagle. Seems tide shouldn't be an issue then. Thanks for the info

Friend at china creek told me lots of bigger ones this year, 7 pounders.
well the ones i saw coming over in the nets were definatly NOT 7 lbers .. looked very small to me but if thats what ya want id rather get 15 lb nookies more fight .LOL

OH i thought that was him when I saw flasher zipped by with a lost fish...LOL LOL
Just got home late last night had a blast with all my hunting buddies . Rough water for 6 out of the 7 days got out for halibut only one day and lings which was great.
Salmon fishing as always was good pick a spot all good Austin, kirby, brady the usual spots even manged one up from kirby beutiful 22 lber in pouring rain and oh surprise wind !!!poor buddy looked like he had a shower by the time we got it in as wind and rain was directly in his face LOL
Even some coho were showing up not huge but nice to get.

White hoochies and and variety of spoons I think I tried 10 different ones AP of course worked awesome , and a new guys prototype worked well brass worked very well.. bait in bellys was all over the place from squid to small to big herring to tiny little needle fish.
Beside the store the restaurant is up again and prices are very good 30 wings for 20 bucks halibut and cheaps very reasonable, I personally didnt try as I had tons of food but locals I chatted with said it is very good...

Gas is pricy there as a side not 2.30 a ltr

Fuel $2.03 at Poett Nook Marina right now , 89 mid grade, RD Anchovy 5 1/4 $15/Pk

correct, unless you book a camping spot and use that to park your truck/trailer. That is what they allow for alternative.....if a spot is avail of course!
Dang!, that sucks. Havnt been up for a couple seasons so guess im outa the loop. Thanks for the heads up. Hoping to get up there soonso better give them a call

correct, unless you book a camping spot and use that to park your truck/trailer. That is what they allow for alternative.....if a spot is avail of course!

Times of Change unfortunately ,

With the new road,, we are also seeing much heavier day time traffic here at Poett Nook Marina & Campground , we followed suit with China Creek , just cant keep up ,there will be limited day use unfortunately , mostly due to parking issues, best times through April-September , if wanting to launch a boat for a day trip or 2 , you would have to book a camping spot, if available ! , this allows an area for your vehicle and boat trailer , close to the ramp , more secure for you as well , August typically a no go, we are booked solid ,but , never hurts to call, NO drive ins pls , by phone reservation only.

Give Jennifer a call at the store with any enquiries. Shes great, loves to help if she can .....1-250-720-9572

Stay safe , See ya all out there, fishing is fantastic ;)
Felix

Back