2023 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
116 sleeps till our 2023 adventure begins , can't wait.View attachment 88177View attachment 88178
Nice setup Ed! I think you may have the most deluxe site of the bunch, there's a few really nice ones. Happy to be joining the community there this year. Too bad I have this personal issue called "work" that will make me a weekender most of the season but have to start somewhere. I'll be up to open the place up one of the early-mid weekends in May.

Will be making the first dash up to TC this weekend and if things go well might have a few hours Sunday morning to get the kids out to fish. Who has a fishing suggestion for May, with salmon closed and ebb current ripping near max? I'm guessing the back side of Malcolm can be halibut fished in strong tides. Looking forward to seeing the cove.

What day you getting here.?

Finally got out fishing and it only took the kids a few minutes jigging to catch a nice little 30 lb halibut. We were off the backside of Malcolm Island as the currents were ripping everywhere else. Now that box is checked off, I can't wait for salmon season.
leo_halibut.jpeg

That's awesome, your wife was so proud when she showed me the picture before you came in. Great start to your season and welcome to the TC community

We are coming up camping end of july to Alder bay. Is there any charters that may still have spots available those dates 28/29 july.?
Wife is against it but my kids and father in law would love to get into some bottom fish.

Hey Guys, figured this might be a good place to post this... apologies if not the right forum...

Headed up to Port McNeill area this weekend with the family for an impromptu end of the school year camping trip,
Staying at the Alder Bay RV Park . (Rented a trailer)

Never been up north island before, so this one is just a quick trip and not bringing the boat this time around, but wondering if there is anywhere that the kids can drop a crab trap or fish from shore in the area? Sounds like the marina at the RV park is off limits (understandable with the amount of traffic there) but my 9 and 10 yr old's are asking about things to do and what to pack... lol

Any information on where to head or what to see would be great! We were thinking of hopping on the ferry to Alert Bay, etc... but again, not sure what's all up there to see/do ? Any tips or suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance...

Rob

Hey Guys, figured this might be a good place to post this... apologies if not the right forum...

Headed up to Port McNeill area this weekend with the family for an impromptu end of the school year camping trip,
Staying at the Alder Bay RV Park . (Rented a trailer)

Never been up north island before, so this one is just a quick trip and not bringing the boat this time around, but wondering if there is anywhere that the kids can drop a crab trap or fish from shore in the area? Sounds like the marina at the RV park is off limits (understandable with the amount of traffic there) but my 9 and 10 yr old's are asking about things to do and what to pack... lol

Any information on where to head or what to see would be great! We were thinking of hopping on the ferry to Alert Bay, etc... but again, not sure what's all up there to see/do ? Any tips or suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance...

Rob
It is not that busy right now and don't see any reason they could not fish off the end of the dock it looks like a good spot deep with current and there are only 4 boats or so tied up . I have been tempted to try the spot always tons of bait there I would throw out a meat line preferably a hand line let it sit on the bottom and then do the normal stuff cast fish for shiners crab rock fish that kind of stuff if you can somehow get a crab trap out there are crabs in the area there is no reason you wouldn't hook into a salmon it is on a point and in a back eddy with lots of bait. Lots of bear activity in the area the resident mamma has two cubs I saw twice just yesterday on the property. You are going to be disappointed that you didn't bring your boat.

Last edited:
I just read a sign on the dock that says no fishing from dock but there is a breakwater and a rocky point on either side of the dock you could fish the same water look at the charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back