2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Spent 3 hours trolling bottom off Epsom Point today in 100-130'. One solid keeper and 4 little guys (that put up such a fight you think you have a big guy on before you see them).

Awesome im going to be up that way for a quick few days soon, keep the reports coming!

Hello, boat is pretty close to ready for fishing. Will do a troll off Epson Point to try out the new down riggers . What's everybody trolling in this area?

Hello, boat is pretty close to ready for fishing. Will do a troll off Epson Point to try out the new down riggers . What's everybody trolling in this area?
I was running Gibbs Delta Lemon Lime flashers and Irish Cream spoons... hugging bottom between 100-130'. The only thing I notice with Spoons is I get a lot of small shakers whereas if I run hootchies I hook larger fish (could just be anecdotal though).

Slow go for me and the pops this morning. The waves just a little to rolly to venture out too far from the harbour in my tinny 17’er. But worked the A frame, daniel pt/ lee bay and pearson island to no success. The chop and tide didnt make it feel fishy although I marked a few clouds of bait. Was running green flasher hootchie green flasher green spoon. The sun was trying to peak through and it wasnt horrible just didnt get a nibble anywhere. Maybe if we stuck it out this evening, the flood tide woulda produced but no luck for us this AM.

Slow go for me and the pops this morning. The waves just a little to rolly to venture out too far from the harbour in my tinny 17’er. But worked the A frame, daniel pt/ lee bay and pearson island to no success. The chop and tide didnt make it feel fishy although I marked a few clouds of bait. Was running green flasher hootchie green flasher green spoon. The sun was trying to peak through and it wasnt horrible just didnt get a nibble anywhere. Maybe if we stuck it out this evening, the flood tide woulda produced but no luck for us this AM.
Ya it was gnarly out there. I left Port Stalashen for Epsom around 11am and only made to trail islands before realizing coming back was going to be brutal so I turned around. Glad I did as I coming back I was taking 5 foot waves on the bow all the way back... lucky eke out 6 knots. Next week looks better.

Ya it was gnarly out there. I left Port Stalashen for Epsom around 11am and only made to trail islands before realizing coming back was going to be brutal so I turned around. Glad I did as I coming back I was taking 5 foot waves on the bow all the way back... lucky eke out 6 knots. Next week looks better.
You guys just have to get up earlier . It like glass on the strait at 6:30. Was still like that until an hour after I got back. Then it blew up.

That's super fun to cross Mission Point when it's like that, even more so crossing the reach to the marina haha.

My route when its like that is to head straight out way past white islets on the way out, same on the way back. Less sharp pointy bits trying to destroy my fancy stainless props too.

Anyone been up poking around egmont lately?

those were my favorite spots to mooch live herring!

Just got off the phone with Buccaneer Marina and they might not have any live bait for a couple months. Was really looking forward to some live mooching. Canadian Tire didn't have any frozen bait yet so where is everyone getting their frozen whole or strips from?

Gorgeous out there today! Left Port Stalashen at 8am and the water was almost flat... dropped my prawn traps and headed directly to Anderson Bay. Found it a bit too tight to troll effectively and it was on ebb tide anyway so headed to Epsom. Dropped two lines down and worked the 150' line. On first pass hooked one and just as I was getting the line tight there goes the other line! I literally worked back and forth both rods trying to keep tension on each while upping the trolling motor to help... I got one into the boat (a nice 70cm hatchery) and as I was hauling him over (no net cause I didn't have time haha) I saw the other fish break surface and the rod go slack. I was SO CLOSE to landing two fish at same time by myself. Crazy. Kept fishing and got another keeper (64cm hatchery). Third pass got another keeper but let him go as already limited out. At that time I decided to stop because I didn't want to risk any injured fish for sport. Idled back to prawn traps cause why not... it was sunny, calm and warm! Saw two other boats out and they were fishing alot deeper than me... not sure if they were fishing bottom or what but saw them both leave before me so not sure if they quit or they limited out... curious!

Attachments

• F826716E-CC77-4363-9B4F-0FCEB2112841.JPG
    F826716E-CC77-4363-9B4F-0FCEB2112841.JPG
    496.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 869F9D8B-E4E8-4D18-8A09-7928F9C2F004.JPG
    869F9D8B-E4E8-4D18-8A09-7928F9C2F004.JPG
    475 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Buccaneer Marina and they might not have any live bait for a couple months. Was really looking forward to some live mooching. Canadian Tire didn't have any frozen bait yet so where is everyone getting their frozen whole or strips from?
Where have they usually got the live bait? Presumably someone has to go out there and fish for them local?

You guys just have to get up earlier . It like glass on the strait at 6:30. Was still like that until an hour after I got back. Then it blew up.
I took your advice today and it worked. I am actually an early riser (5am) but so far I have been fishing based on flood tides. Today I got more action on a rather strong ebb tide at Epsom than any flood tide so I am throwing tides out of the tool box until proven wrong again. Cheers!

Epsom was crickets today. Not a single bite and gave it a sold 4 hours on the incoming tide. I think the full moon maybe spooked the bite... Prawns traps were all tiny little guys (never seen that before... had three big guys to bring home for the entire day). Anyone has an opinion on full moons and the bite?

Epsom was crickets today. Not a single bite and gave it a sold 4 hours on the incoming tide. I think the full moon maybe spooked the bite... Prawns traps were all tiny little guys (never seen that before... had three big guys to bring home for the entire day). Anyone has an opinion on full moons and the bite?
Evening bite came on around 6- untll bit after 7pm...couple good take downs.. bbq on tonight. Fish were a bit shallower than normal I found.

Back