2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Fished quarry bay Thursday 2pm-4pm lots of hits, one under, and lost one well over 62 cm beside the boat going for the net. Fishing solo made it fun with the winds. In 200-250 ft of water, 187 and 199ft on the downriggers. No bananas, herring aid and lighthouse lures spoon were getting the action.

If this year is anything like the last two Chinook retention doesn’t start until July 15th. From that day onwards it seems like diminishing returns as the main runs have gone through.

If this year is anything like the last two Chinook retention doesn’t start until July 15th. From that day onwards it seems like diminishing returns as the main runs have gone through.

I fully agree. Its lights out up there in May and June in my experience. You can still scratch springs up for sure and I have found that August is actually better than July, but there are fish around in July too.

Op go back on the 2020 thread for the Sunshine Coast and read over those same dates. One point I would say is it seems to be a lot lumpier in July than August. Even if you're hiding behind Texada you can still get your boat bounced a lot, I know I sure have, and I'm running a 26' rig.

I love it up that way and will definitely be in the area all of July and August. Feel free to ask questions and you absolutely have to pick up some livies from the Mercers in Secret Cove and give that a go in shallow off Epsom Point.

I fully agree. Its lights out up there in May and June in my experience. You can still scratch springs up for sure and I have found that August is actually better than July, but there are fish around in July too.

Op go back on the 2020 thread for the Sunshine Coast and read over those same dates. One point I would say is it seems to be a lot lumpier in July than August. Even if you're hiding behind Texada you can still get your boat bounced a lot, I know I sure have, and I'm running a 26' rig.

I love it up that way and will definitely be in the area all of July and August. Feel free to ask questions and you absolutely have to pick up some livies from the Mercers in Secret Cove and give that a go in shallow off Epsom Point.
Agreed, when I lived there and fished out of Secret Cove. We put in serious amounts of time all year around, but we would start really targeting chinook in April which was a little early, and it would pick up through May and June. It would start to die off in July. Water temps would get warmer, and you'll have to go deeper from July on. It's sad, because in May June, you can have 20, 30 fish days.

Requesting info for area.coming up this summer. July or August...what is better for fishing
I’ve have had success both those months up there

Attachments

• 79777986-8F68-4812-A5A2-930314927632.jpeg
    79777986-8F68-4812-A5A2-930314927632.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 04482991-460E-488F-AD52-128E9B66BF34.jpeg
    04482991-460E-488F-AD52-128E9B66BF34.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 128
  • 6C948E1A-E4AF-4DAD-A5DA-541D4E7176B9.jpeg
    6C948E1A-E4AF-4DAD-A5DA-541D4E7176B9.jpeg
    661.1 KB · Views: 125
  • D1322BDF-7FBC-46F7-A8C0-192AB9675551.jpeg
    D1322BDF-7FBC-46F7-A8C0-192AB9675551.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 4AEEA975-A302-4311-8F6F-D5681B7E63DD.jpeg
    4AEEA975-A302-4311-8F6F-D5681B7E63DD.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 137
Anyone have any advice on South Texada (Anderson Bay or Upwood Point)? Many thanks in advance!

Anyone have any advice on South Texada (Anderson Bay or Upwood Point)? Many thanks in advance!

What in particular? Those points i find i don't fish them in one set unless you like dogs. So I will fish Anderson Bay then if its slow I will pop over to upwood but honestly, laps inside Anderson bay are unreal and I've had some great fights in there.

What in particular? Those points i find i don't fish them in one set unless you like dogs. So I will fish Anderson Bay then if its slow I will pop over to upwood but honestly, laps inside Anderson bay are unreal and I've had some great fights in there

What in particular? Those points i find i don't fish them in one set unless you like dogs. So I will fish Anderson Bay then if its slow I will pop over to upwood but honestly, laps inside Anderson bay are unreal and I've had some great fights in there.
Winters right now but also kind of a year round question... appreciate the heads up. I will give it a shot next weather window and will let you know!

I'm out of the loop for winters as I typically am up from April onwards. I think for winters I'd head to bjeere but others may know better.

At Anderson Bay, I just do laps into the bay as the floor is a really nice gentle slope so you can troll close to the rocks, make a gentle wide turn and back out. Awesome bay and a great spot for swimming etc in summer when the westerlies are down.

Couple of my favourite spots. Lots of guys fish in close to shore and those contours around Upwood. We ran into an old timer that's fished it for years and he told us to get way out in the 300' tp 500' depths and run those contours. It works. Anderson Bay I really like on a high slack, can be amazing.

Couple of my favourite spots. Lots of guys fish in close to shore and those contours around Upwood. We ran into an old timer that's fished it for years and he told us to get way out in the 300' tp 500' depths and run those contours. It works. Anderson Bay I really like on a high slack, can be amazing.
Waiting on the tides to change more favourably then will try it soon and will let you know!

300-500 but running gear at what depth do you figure (Winters I have been fishing pretty much bottom this time of year here in Roberts Creek and Howe Sound)... thoughts?

300-500 but running gear at what depth do you figure (Winters I have been fishing pretty much bottom this time of year here in Roberts Creek and Howe Sound)... thoughts?
When I fish there I’d never go deeper then 180’. Winter fishing will be definitely tougher. When fishing Upwood go around the Salish Sea side and troll up that side as well. I’ve done well there early in the season right off the marker .

Back