2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone fished near Vancouver lately??? heading out locally early tomorrow morning, it seems like this thread is more about Thrasher/Nanaimo/Gabriola area than Vancouver these days! Still deciding where to fish, if it's choppy I will be ripping up to Defence Islands or Seymour Bay, if it's calm I'll probably try the hump.. cheers eh
Nick, if you want to fish local this may work for you
head straight out from pt grey, as soon as you hit the Hump, veer hard to port and track approx. 10-12 miles
you should be into the fish then:D

Last edited by a moderator:
So we finally brought it all together today on my boat! It started with a sunset crossing last night at 7pm. Flat calm with very little debris. It was flawless. 1 hour from River Rock to Thrasher Rock. Stayed the night at a friends place on one of the islands about 15 minutes from Thrasher. Was up early and had lines down off Grande in 900' of water @ 5:45am. It didn't take long for the fleet to arrive and it seemed everyone and their brotha was over at Thrasher. We heard of some good action that way from 6-9am but decided to stay and pay around Grande. We got a line on some action from GypsyKing who was in tighter to shore. Soon after, we hit a double header of shakers in the deep water, but following my gut (and the good tip) we decided leave the gear up and head in shallower. We gave a good effort for a couple of hours with not much to speak of...decided to push along the shore towards the northern mouth of Silva, and if nothing hit, we would continue to deeper water towards the fleet. Moments later, the sonar started chirping like crazy, and we stumbled on to the mother of all bait balls....

at that moment, the craziest 3 hours of salmon fishing began. :)

pass after pass we were into fish. Big fish. We counted 4 double headers with 4 more single hook-ups to add. The smallest was about 8 pounds. The biggest was a gem. Trendsetter, after his years of aggressive angling, managed to break his personal best of 19 lbs with this fat pig...

Pound it! 26.5 pounds!

On the next pass, it was my turn. My biggest fish of the year! I wont say much because I have a video that will say it all. It was a riot of a catch!! It was so far, my best day of the year. We continued our pursuit of happiness and finally found the fish. And they were stacked up thick and heavy for us! The last month has seen some long days with little results and in one 3 hour period it all melted away. I probably shouldn't be reviewing gas receipts any time soon though LOL.

We came back over @ around 4, the trophy catch and 3 smaller fish perfect for the Q. What a day.

Oh, Chovy n spoons was our ticket today. The fish had 4" needlefish in their guts, which is what I would guess the baitball was largely made up of. There were fresh kills in the chins bellys.

Cheers

Nice, Nick. That must have been a killer day. We also had a solid morning getting into 10 fish, putting 4 in the boat. Lost a few and released a bunch of undersized most of which fell victim to the green or blue splatter backs. Had hits on chovies and TKO and silver horde spoons also. Best depths were 100 and 94. Was up first thing and went to the reef in from thrasher, couldn't get the gear running good with the current and was on route to deep water when the one other boat in there radioed me and said they had a double. That radio call was the best thing that happens. It was pretty non stop after that. Great day fishing.

Good stuff Dave. There was very little current to contend with on the north side of Silva. could turn with ease in any direction most of the day. It was one for the books.

Great post. Congrats on an excellent day fishing. Those are the kinds of days that we live for.

Thanks for detailing the trip FB, it was an awesome one for sure. Finally broke my record of 19lbs on the inside to boot. 26.5lbs, so close to a tyee! Fought like a freight train. It was a big male white.

Here's a video of FB's release of a 20lb+ spring. Gotta love it when the fishing is hot enough to start releasing 20 pounders!

http://youtu.be/Xd_1RbDJm1w

Great fishing, great fish & great video guys! My friday fish was the same, fought like a tiger; also a white male.
I don't mean to offend in any way but I've been told it's better to avoid handeling the fish to be released and to try not to exhaust them completely (they build up a toxic level of lactic acid in their system). That is why many folks reccommend 40lb leader. I have a friend that just gets the fish gaff in the bend of the hook, pulls the line in the opposite direction and the hook just pops out. These are special creatures and any way to improve the survival of released springs has to be a good thing. Cheers; twogone

Great fishing, great fish & great video guys! My friday fish was the same, fought like a tiger; also a white male.
I don't mean to offend in any way but I've been told it's better to avoid handeling the fish to be released and to try not to exhaust them completely (they build up a toxic level of lactic acid in their system). That is why many folks reccommend 40lb leader. I have a friend that just gets the fish gaff in the bend of the hook, pulls the line in the opposite direction and the hook just pops out. These are special creatures and any way to improve the survival of released springs has to be a good thing. Cheers; twogone

Hey twogone, yeah we use the gaff to release all our fish and don't take them out of the water. This one was caught specifically for the purpose of a video / photo and release. We were a tad rough on him but as you could see he wasn't about to cooperate without being tired out! He swam off in great shape and no doubt will survive. We could've kept him if we wanted.

Much better chance of survival now then if he was in the cooler with his 26lb cousin!;)

Cheers

Ya I tired him out, and he may have been a little roughed up, or I was lol, but I'm sure he is just fine, and as mentioned, his chances are better swimming tired than laying in our cooler.

...for some reason I am having trouble embedding this video.

FB......those kind of days are THE days for sure!

Glad to see you're getting a return on your investment........ congrats.!

Thanks for the kind words guys. It took a whole lot of fuel and hours on the water to find what is likely my best day of fishing around vancouver and Nanaimo this year. Needless to say, all worth it!!

Too snotty this morn to fish in the strait so I waited til this afternoon and it was still not looking great. Ended up fishing between salt spring and Galiano and picked up at 12# red in 2 hrs of trolling trincomali.

Just took the ferry back to tsawwassen and its flat out I'm the strait now so it calmed down a lot. I trust not too many made the crossing from van this morn?

It's a short run Nick-Man Up!!

got out for the 230 high slack in the freighters, limited out on my favorite little tack and my 'crab larvae' special hoochy (4 chinooks for me and my girlfriend, there was only 2 of us aboard) pretty quickly but these fish were definitely not as big as those ones you guys are nailing over in Nanaimo, nice work FB!! released a few undersized chinooks as well...

15,10,10, & 7 were the sizes on our fish today, all reds thankfully..

90' on UV flasher and "crab-larvae" hoochy(orange/gold miniplankton hoochy inside a UV blue octopus sized hooch)

Wow, good one Demco. Lots of smaller fish on the other side also, and nothing wrong with a 15. Had a 12 pounder fight stronger than a lot of the bigger fish I have been into this season. Congrats on a solid day locally

got out for the 230 high slack in the freighters, limited out on my favorite little tack and my 'crab larvae' special hoochy (4 chinooks for me and my girlfriend, there was only 2 of us aboard) pretty quickly but these fish were definitely not as big as those ones you guys are nailing over in Nanaimo, nice work FB!! released a few undersized chinooks as well...

15,10,10, & 7 were the sizes on our fish today, all reds thankfully..

90' on UV flasher and "crab-larvae" hoochy(orange/gold miniplankton hoochy inside a UV blue octopus sized hooch)
awesome job! good to hear they are making their way over, easy to get out for the afternoon or evening bite rather then running across
good on ya!
Tim

Made it out to Thrasher on Saturday and dropped the lines at about 10am. 3 fish within the first 30 minutes, unfortunately all were undersized. For the next two hours, it seemed like we couldn't keep fish off our lines, but none were big enough to keep. Heard from Trendsetter and Finished Business of some gold that they were bringing in and joined in on the fun (thanks for the tip guys!). Within 30 minutes I hooked a screamer which at first made me think I had caught bottom or a prawn line. I even put the boat in neutral thinking I was snagged... but it kept pulling. I'm thinking this one was huge, but sadly never made it to the boat but gave a nice showing of it's tail before spitting the hook. Landed a 10.5# shortly after which lessened the sting of the lost big one.

Ran the same lure/flasher combo all day. Chartreuse flasher and green/yellow/white spoon, 5.5 foot leader.

13 crabs (6 keepers) and 82 prawns. This is what I call a fishing hat trick!

Nice work Nick
Glad to see iot is paying off...looks like I am finally back in the game after a bunch or rewiring
and the kids ball hockey is wrapping up...nothing like games at noon on sat and sunday to get in the way
Hope to make a run across on friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back