Gaddammit need to rethink the chartplotter

• So with the first plan to use a Lowrance Elite FS9, let it eat 1/2 with a small screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go with a Garmin GPSMAP 943XSV, Which will only eat half my dash and buy reading glasses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man have forums gotten that savage that they have now started forming gangs?? if so I can I join the Pro-flybridge gang? what do I have to do??

on a personal note, I see you paint spoons, I dabble in a bit of the lure making and carving myself, even a bit of large caving as well. maybe if we run into eachother one day we can swap some lures. pictures attached since I dont have an instagram for this lol
Nice looking stuff. Very cool and a fun hobby that is fishing related.

Perhaps a hangover set-up from the early ‘80s? I remember boats mooching at Gower Point with their rods up on the bridge, when it was all the rage to mooch very long leaders, almost 10’ in some cases. You had to be up on the bridge to land the fish!
No they are acutally new scotty mounts, im assuming it was so they could drive and be withing reach of the rods at the same time, since there is no rear helm station.

Man have forums gotten that savage that they have now started forming gangs?? if so I can I join the Pro-flybridge gang? what do I have to do??

on a personal note, I see you paint spoons, I dabble in a bit of the lure making and carving myself, even a bit of large caving as well. maybe if we run into eachother one day we can swap some lures. pictures attached since I dont have an instagram for this lol
And yes... I’d totally be into sharing ideas and checking out each others art work/hobby. Your carvings show some incredible skills and attention to detail.

And yes... I’d totally be into sharing ideas and checking out each others art work/hobby. Your carvings show some incredible skills and attention to detail.
mabye we need to start a lure making thread on the forum lol

it honestly is that thick, the wood in the stringers is redudnant, they are wrapped with about 1/4" of fiberglass, that combinded with what is basically a 3/8' minimum hull thickness makes it so the wood never really takes any load. even the transom double laminated with three sheets of marine ply, and from what I can tell they epoxied the cut ends of the plywood since the wood on mine is still rock hard. That being said I would bore holes through the stringers and epoxy a fiberglass tube through the ends of the stringers to let water drain out if it gets trapped on the outboard side of the stingers, since everything on the outboard side is foam filled. I will be posting that process soon. Ive already drilled the holes and there was a bit of moisture on one side, so I've had my vacuum pump running on it with a filter to draw out any remaining moisture.

The overall structure of these boats is why I consider them to be one of the better boats for the west coast, im pretty confident you could run aground on rocks and it would still be none the worse for wear.
Awesome. Thanks for the advice. One of my fishing partners has the same boat as the one you have but without the fly bridge, hes been running it since 1989 and the only thing hes had to replace is the motor.....7 times haha. He said hes jumped about 4 logs over his years taking the leg off but has never had any damage to the hull. Hes the reason i decided to buy zeta.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. One of my fishing partners has the same boat as the one you have but without the fly bridge, hes been running it since 1989 and the only thing hes had to replace is the motor.....7 times haha. He said hes jumped about 4 logs over his years taking the leg off but has never had any damage to the hull. Hes the reason i decided to buy zeta.
Yeah since they have a keel stringer and the hull is about 5/8 of an inch thick at the keel, bouncing logs won’t be a problem for the hull. But it’s not only the fact the fibreglass is thick they did a really good job during layup, there are very few if any voids or dry sections, which is why you don’t usually see blistering on zetas. I’ve seen a brand new 60 foot Ocean Alexander With 1 inch of fibreglass at the Stern, and only quarter inch of it was wetted out, so there was 3/4 of an inch of dry fibreglass cloth, no resin. Nothing substitutes good build quality

Last edited:
So today was spend cutting and laminating for the most part, but here are a few of the updates for the day

first of the seating has been varnished, assembled and varnished again. The bulkhead panels got their last sanding at 320 and a final coat of semi-gloss, and the cabin had an addition to the entrance to provide space and access for tank fitments and transfer valves. I'm lucky that a family member had saved a bunch of old construction matrials that were salvaged from homes that were built a century ago, so I thankfully have a modest supply of very high quality old growth douglas fir for all the framing reinforcements.

And in case anyone is interested this is how teak looks when its freshly cut, then exposed to UV rays for 5 min, in another hour or so it will become an even brown tone. But I’m always amazed at the mottled bright colors when I resaw teak lumber

Attachments

• IMG-0535.jpg
    IMG-0535.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG-0536.jpg
    IMG-0536.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG-0538.jpg
    IMG-0538.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG-0539.jpg
    IMG-0539.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG-0540.jpg
    IMG-0540.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG-0541.jpg
    IMG-0541.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 140
here is another good example, one of my tables, 30 min apart on a sunny day, then a month later after oiling

Attachments

• IMG-7791.JPG
    IMG-7791.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-7798.JPG
    IMG-7798.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG-7992.JPG
    IMG-7992.JPG
    247.6 KB · Views: 128
Does the teak take stain differently if you wait after it’s resawn?
I’ve never actually applied a stain to teak. But if you are referring to oil or some sort of varnish/clear coat, then no, regardless of what you do the color tones will always even out to about 90% within about 4 hours of being exposed to UV (cloudy or sunny doesn’t make much difference), actually Ive found oiling it seems to have little effect on this timeframe as well. Then over the next couple weeks it will even out about the last 10% to come to fairly even tones throughout. And if its unvarnished decking once it silvers out, and you re-sand its pretty much homogeneous colour throughout. The only time you keep a bit of contrast is when its clear coated, just like most wood, the clear coat darkens and brings out more contrasting colors, but its still pretty minimal. Its pretty funny I had a customer come by while I was sanding a deck down right after laying it up, and they panicked because it was so orange, I had to reassure them and show them that it was all going to look as expected

Does the teak take stain differently if you wait after it’s resawn?
That table is actually a good example of about the most contrast you can see in a finished product, the customer prefered the stong contrasting colors so I had to go through a lot of my stock to get it to look like that. You will find teak can have some final color variations if you have enough of it from different parts of the world. Not only color but even different grain denstity within the tectona grandis species depeding on where its grown.

Love the boat, nice work so far. Putting most to shame :) Cant wait to see how she turns out.

Not much to show for today, spent the day cutting stock, sanding and appying varnish.

Attachments

• IMG-0543.jpg
    IMG-0543.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-0542.jpg
    IMG-0542.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 49
You must be really hustling to get this project done ASAP before the deluge of spring work orders hits? Enjoying the thread.

You must be really hustling to get this project done ASAP before the deluge of spring work orders hits? Enjoying the thread.
Yeah I work fast anyhow, but I want to get the majority of the work done before april, because yes, it will start getting bonkers for my by may.

Hey, I’ve got a 1979 flybridge Zeta 24 I spent 5 years restoring. If you want to come and get a few ideas for yours, let me know. There a great boat. View attachment 62205
thanks for the offer Ive got enough ideas on my plate as it lol probably way more than needed, Dont know if you read the start of the post but she will have nearly every bell and whistle possible on this size of a boat.

Plus your hull is the wide cabin, mine is the narrow cabin tubbed version, they are different enough that trying to make one work like the other just doesn't work (ie aft cabin head)

I actually found one of these for one of my customers a couple years back, still had the factory blue and white gelcoat and was immaculate, already had a 280 duoprop, radar, new fishfinder, wallace stove/heater, the thing was loaded and he got it for under 15k. (with all the kit it should have been closer to 25k) We came to the island to look at it and pick it up, and he asked me "so do you think this is a good deal?" I replied "If you dont get it, im driving to the bank right now and Im going to buy it" needless to say they are great boats.

updates of the day, got the last coats of varnish on the panel assemblies and the port side stowage pockets installed, and have begin putting together the custom LED deck head battens

Attachments

• IMG-0544.jpg
    IMG-0544.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG-0545.jpg
    IMG-0545.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-0547.jpg
    IMG-0547.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-0551.jpg
    IMG-0551.jpg