WTB something slightly lighter than a commander 30 and with outboards.

I been on 2 one bigger one with twins and a cc smaller one, it was like riding a jon boat on windy day, the newer ones might be better but the older ones suck IMO

That's way too much of a generalization...the classic Montauks (13-15-17 in particular) are known to ride rough. Even the classic 25ft Outrage hull from the mid 1980s rides a bit rough. But those Conquests and the modern big Whalers are a totally different animal.

Sounds like it you weren’t in a conquest...
I believe there was a hull change on the conquests in late 90’s early 2000’s. The newer hulls are vastly superior and lots of reviews online about how rough the older conquests ride. Stopped me from buying one years back. Lots of good info on the hull truth.

I believe there was a hull change on the conquests in late 90’s early 2000’s. The newer hulls are vastly superior and lots of reviews online about how rough the older conquests ride. Stopped me from buying one years back. Lots of good info on the hull truth.
Lol really ??? I am not the only one ?.newer one maybe but the older ones suck, anybody that says otherwise is lying to themselves

Lol really ??? I am not the only one ?.newer one maybe but the older ones suck, anybody that says otherwise is lying to themselves
I remember the 16-20’ whalers in the 80s.
They were beautiful boats aesthetically. The thing everyone used to say is ‘this boat can get smashed but it will never sink and even if it breaks apart it will still never sink’ or similar. I don’t think they were known for their ride back then. Amazing on a calm day and great to fish out of. I think the newer bigger boats have a deeper V

I remember the 16-20’ whalers in the 80s.
They were beautiful boats aesthetically. The thing everyone used to say is ‘this boat can get smashed but it will never sink and even if it breaks apart it will still never sink’ or similar. I don’t think they were known for their ride back then. Amazing on a calm day and great to fish out of. I think the newer bigger boats have a deeper V
You would think at the selling point BW are the newer ones would have a better ride, I know for a fact the older ones I would not buy.

I’ve spent a bit of time researching what boat id like to move up to in a couple years and in my opinion it’s nearly impossible to find a boat that offers what the 30 Commander does. It’s just a shame they didn’t build them with shafts instead of legs . If the legs are constantly an issue, you could find a boat with twin diesels with shafts. There are two that I personally like. The first is the 31 Albin TE with twin Yanmars and the second is a pursuit 3000 express with twin 4cyl Cummins. From what I’ve read, these boats Offer decent cruise speeds and decent economy for the size and will sleep a family. The problem is that these are basically just fishing boats that you can also weekend on. What you have now is a full blown cruiser that’s also good to fish from so they will be a downgrade from the Commander but may have less issues . I vote for figuring out a way to make more money so the repairs don’t hurt as bad instead of downgrading boats.

I’ve spent a bit of time researching what boat id like to move up to in a couple years and in my opinion it’s nearly impossible to find a boat that offers what the 30 Commander does. It’s just a shame they didn’t build them with shafts instead of legs . If the legs are constantly an issue, you could find a boat with twin diesels with shafts. There are two that I personally like. The first is the 31 Albin TE with twin Yanmars and the second is a pursuit 3000 express with twin 4cyl Cummins. From what I’ve read, these boats Offer decent cruise speeds and decent economy for the size and will sleep a family. The problem is that these are basically just fishing boats that you can also weekend on. What you have now is a full blown cruiser that’s also good to fish from so they will be a downgrade from the Commander but may have less issues . I vote for figuring out a way to make more money so the repairs don’t hurt as bad instead of downgrading boats.
Yeah the more I look the more apparent this becomes. Even when I bought this one I was looking at 26s first and then made the mistake of stepping on a 30. What a difference.

Don’t think shafts in a commander would be possible given engine location without a ton of work and pushing into the cabin space but I could be mistaken. Also don’t think you’ll find what your looking for in the price point your looking in, Wolfe makes a killer aluminum boat as do many others but anything your describing in my mind is north of 200k you have a great setup enjoy it!

Yeah the more I look the more apparent this becomes. Even when I bought this one I was looking at 26s first and then made the mistake of stepping on a 30. What a difference.
One thing I’ve noticed is that when people blow I/O legs, repair places often claim it was a “log strike”. I’ve seen this a few times now even when I don’t think it was a log. So just keep your insurance up to date and pin it. Eventually you’ll Have two new ones .

There’s no way you’ll want anything other then the boat your on. You just spent years working it all out and getting all set up perfectly. Hopefully the worst of bad luck and high expenses are out of the way fir now. Any new to you boat is gonna come with a bunch of set up cost and you’ll probably be no better off.

Don’t think shafts in a commander would be possible given engine location without a ton of work and pushing into the cabin space but I could be mistaken.

I agree with this...even if you turned the engines around and installed v-drives you'd still have to push the fuel tank forward (or shrink it) and maybe even raise the cockpit floor to accommodate the engine angle.

What I've mused about for years is converting a Commander 30 to Arnesons. I really think it would work. Maybe when I'm ready to buy a boat like that I can find one with a blown drive (or two) and take on the conversion.

I agree with this...even if you turned the engines around and installed v-drives you'd still have to push the fuel tank forward (or shrink it) and maybe even raise the cockpit floor to accommodate the engine angle.

What I've mused about for years is converting a Commander 30 to Arnesons. I really think it would work. Maybe when I'm ready to buy a boat like that I can find one with a blown drive (or two) and take on the conversion.
You might be onto something.

First things first. Do not buy one of those Berts from Pearson.....friend of a friend got the other one and had to tear it apart to make it right. The boat now has an armstrong pod.....just don't do it..

2nd, You will get away from the big bills with the big boat, if you have to pay someone to maintain it will be this way. In no world are you going to get what you have for 140K....try 200+.

3rd, the older whalers actually ride pretty good. the original outrages 1980s to 1993 22, 25 and 27 are amongst the best boats I have been on. They actually still build these hulls for the commercial division. I ran a 22 for a few years on the west side of the charlottes and was amazed where that little sled took me.

the 27 is a total beast. They are a different boat to run as the foam filled construction makes them a little stiff. I know Aces brother had a whole fleet of these in Masset for a number of years and loved them

they can be found for really cheap and often with newish power....

First things first. Do not buy one of those Berts from Pearson.....friend of a friend got the other one and had to tear it apart to make it right. The boat now has an armstrong pod.....just don't do it..

2nd, You will get away from the big bills with the big boat, if you have to pay someone to maintain it will be this way. In no world are you going to get what you have for 140K....try 200+.

3rd, the older whalers actually ride pretty good. the original outrages 1980s to 1993 22, 25 and 27 are amongst the best boats I have been on. They actually still build these hulls for the commercial division. I ran a 22 for a few years on the west side of the charlottes and was amazed where that little sled took me.

the 27 is a total beast. They are a different boat to run as the foam filled construction makes them a little stiff. I know Aces brother had a whole fleet of these in Masset for a number of years and loved them

they can be found for really cheap and often with newish power....

The whalers are build great and never felt unsafe, not what I am saying, they just don’t ride too nice in the slop, they pound like crazy, to each there own,to me if you need a lazy boy strapped on a big spring to ride in it Your boat sucks lol

Let's go tuna fishing in my buddies 1986 27 fc with bracket and you tell me what you think about that. I have fished lots of boats in some ****** water and was always impressed with the stability and dry ride of the classic whalers. Not so sure about the ride on the new ones...

Let's go tuna fishing in my buddies 1986 27 fc with bracket and you tell me what you think about that. I have fished lots of boats in some ****** water and was always impressed with the stability and dry ride of the classic whalers. Not so sure about the ride on the new ones...
Deal

Back