What's for dinner tonight ?

Classic flour , beaten egg , cornflake crumb . I season the egg with salt and pepper . I let mine sit on a wire rack for 20 - 30 mins to really adhere to the fish .

Fly in a cast iron with an inch of oil , and a hood pat of butter ( how my mother has always done schnitzel and it imparts great flavour )

Hit with salt fresh out of the fryer

Serve with home made tartar

Mayo
Dijon
Lemon
Scallions
Fine diced pickle
Fine diced shallot
Fresh dill
Salt and pepper
What in the world is a hood pat of butter?

That's awesome. And no back story about the author/blogger's childhood memories of eating brisket with his uncle as a tribute to his late father who died in a tragic farming accident.

BarBeed Moose Sirloins:

afYow9a.jpg

Served with pasta & home-made sauce, a fresh garden salad with Avos, and a fine Shiraz.

cVrdwfR.jpg

Cheers

Tonight you ask ? I have taken advantage of the low tides the last two days and gone out and lovingly selected a dozen Pacific public beach oysters each day. Tonight, rather than taking the easy route and just flipping them on the Barbi, I carefully shucked a dozen of the plumpest ones . They were placed in a glass oven roasting pan, which had been dressed with 2 tablespoons of Island butter, on top of a bed of young spinach leaves. Next I placed 1 teaspoon of Thai chili sauce on each oyster. Next came a light dressing of shredded parmezan cheeze. And then a few chili flakes. The final touch was a fresh parsley garnish application. Into the oven at 375 f for 35 minutes. ( covered) Served with garlic bread and a side salad of spinach and fresh mushrooms with ranch dressing. Tis to die for ! As an aside, while roaming the beach I raked up small bucket of littlenecks and manillas. Chowder tomorrow, ! ( Might throw in some of the lingcod and a sole that I caught on the weekend and make it a seafood chowder.) Cant go hungery on a low tide on this island.

Those things scare the hell out of me.. Much prefer my infra-red propane turkey cooker. Much harder to get burned or burn structure.
First time we did it I was pretty nervous, but after a few times it's like nothing. Oil level, temp and turn the burner off before deploy and the removal of bird from bath is key.

Fired up the BBQ on this fine evening! Had some chinook from the freezer and asparagus from @Oly1 garden. This asparagus was delicious! I normally shy away from the big stuff but when I went to get this ready for the grill there was no hard end to break off so I tried a piece raw and I knew I was in for a treat. Finished the plate with some sidekick for a quick dinner. Going to walk down to the beach now. Enjoy Mother’s Day weekend all!

IMG_0987.jpegIMG_0989.jpegIMG_0988.jpeg

I have a friend from New Zealand who had an asparagus farm and he gave me the goods about the best eating asparagus. He laughed when I told him that we got a lot of Mexico skinny spears here. "They are sending you the forced stuff that they dont want. The skinny stuff had less flavour, and its tougher and stringer . What you want mate is the big fat spears. Good as gold mate !!! "

Fired up the BBQ on this fine evening! Had some chinook from the freezer and asparagus from @Oly1 garden. This asparagus was delicious! I normally shy away from the big stuff but when I went to get this ready for the grill there was no hard end to break off so I tried a piece raw and I knew I was in for a treat. Finished the plate with some sidekick for a quick dinner. Going to walk down to the beach now. Enjoy Mother’s Day weekend all!

View attachment 92405View attachment 92406View attachment 92407
Looks amazing! I need to start making my portions like this so I can can cut 15 lb.

Went on the smoker at 10:30 this morning. Now I’m sitting here watching Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives waiting lol. Will still have to rest an hour once I pull it as well. Won’t be anything too fancy tonight, smoked brisket on a bun with homemade potato salad with corn on the cob.

52895931408_698c41ff57_z.jpg

Back